Jem 7DBK Hardware Recommendations? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 05:18 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Jem 7DBK Hardware Recommendations?

Hi all,
I'm looking for some help regarding pickups for my Jem 7DBK.
I've had it for a year or so now, and although it sounds sweet in all positions, the neck humbucker is sometimes just a little too bassey and doesn't quite cut through enough.
I really like to use the neck position for lead work, and as such, could do with something with a little more kick.

As far as I'm aware, the 7DBK is fitted with the breed pickups.
I've been looking into the obvious choice of Evolutions, but not sure if it would be worth changing just 1, or whether I should go the whole shibang?

Also, would a full change over to Evo's give me more sustain? Or is that only obtainable through the sustainer pickup Vai uses in some of his Jems that I've heard about?

Any thoughts and advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Chaz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 08:40 AM

Reviews: 34
Re: Jem 7DBK Hardware Recommendations?

Evos are pretty loud IMHO so it might be better to change the whole set including middle.

To be honest I liked the breeds so I would look for something individually for the neck
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 08:42 PM

Re: Jem 7DBK Hardware Recommendations?

You may give the Paf Pro for the neck and Tone Zone for the bridge position as well.

Breed set is nice but they are more spesific, imo. If you play "blood&tears" they are great choice but Paf Pro&Tone Zone set is more versatile, i think.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Smile Re: Jem 7DBK Hardware Recommendations?

Cool, that's interesting indeed.
Basically I feel that my neck humbucker gives me a little too much bass, resulting in the low end hum.
I'm after something with a little more kick, a cutting lead tone in the neck position.
Not sure if this could be achieved by adjustments to the current hardware like reversal or heightening etc.
Thanks again.

Tags
7dbk , ibanez , jem , pickups , sound

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode