Jem 7DBK or JS1000? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Jem 7DBK or JS1000?

which one do you like better? i've narrowed it down to these two guitars but i can't decide which one. i like the sound of the jem better but i don't really like the neck on the jem, and its pretty nice on the js1000(the jem is supposed to have the same neck as the Jem 7VWH)both of these are the same price. the jem looks a hell of a lot cooler though. i read reviews at harmony central and they both got good reviews. ibanez puts on cheap finishes i know, but i'm not sure if they do on the really upper class ones, but the jem has that textured really thick finish on it(you all know that already), so the finish isn't a problem on that. whats your opinion? i'm a little more for the jem now, but the only thing really making me want the js1000 is the neck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 01:23 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
welcome to the forum these are the same quality and close in price. this comes down to a matter style, feel and sound. These are apples vs oranges... 22-fret JS body w/ 2 pickups vs the 24-fret JEM/RG body. Good luck choosing... glen
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 01:33 PM

I believe the DBK actually has the Ibanez "wizard" neck profile, which is a tiny bit thinner than the traditional "jem" profile. Steve's been going back and forth over the years... Anyway, if you want to try the jem with a slightly thicker neck, look for a 7vwh. It'll cost you a bit more, but you might prefer the neck, and it might be a good compromise.

It's a tough call, though. Personally, if you play strats, you'll be more at home on the JS... It's a very strat-esq guitar. but that fact alone might be enough reason to go for the jem, for something different. It's a tough call. One of each?

-Drew
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

i was thinking about the 7VWH but its way too much. i have to get the js1000 or 7dbk used as it is.theres a chance i might be able to get it new though.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 07:12 PM

Judging by how many DBK's Ive seen on Ebay recently, you just might be able to get both guitars in a reasonable span of saving up time. I think I saw one the other day in NM condition starting at $600.00 no reserve. You might be able to get one for less than that if a scuffed up one comes up for sale. Keep an eye out.

Lee
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 07:54 PM

I'm a big fan of the DBK, and I agree, it sounds and looks killer.
The difference is, I love the neck on it, and am really uncomfortable with the JS necks.

Even if a guitar sounds great, if you can't get it on with the neck, you won't play it.

-Ben
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 08:20 PM

I fully agree, the neck is something that will definately be a major determinant of your playing... It is also true though that you will eventually get used to a different neck profile... It is very likely that you will find that although you are very confortable with a round strat-like neck on the JS, the thin fast jem neck will eventually help you improve your playing...My advice is, go to a store and play the two guitars over and over, maybe you will decide that the neck on the DBK isn't that bad after all...(and if you really want the DBK now, you can always get a Strat/JS style guitar another time)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

i do have a fender american strat now, so maybe i should go for something different and get the dbk
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 02:25 PM

hard choice

I used the JS1000 in the studio and it was perfect the whole time, it is 2 humbucker set up but has a push/pull switch to change the humbucker in a single coil. great guitar but really does lack a few things.
1. is the damn 22frets, why not 24???
2. Style, white looks crap, the metallic black looks alright and i have forgotten if there is a 3rd

Problems with the 7DBK is that it does not have the Evolution's in it. Some people make prefer the Breed pick ups but as an owner of a 7VWH I love the Evo's. The 7DBK also has a cool unique finish on it, the black rough style which can take a knock or two.

Hard choice but go with the Jem.

Tags
jem neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode