Jem 7DBK pickup change, what do you recommend? - Not agressi - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 12:09 AM

Jem 7DBK pickup change, what do you recommend?

blasphemy

uck

get them, then cut off each of your little toes for earplugs.

<shudder>
~Kenny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 12:21 AM

See what I mean?? :sarcasm:
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

lol, yeah. *Im gonna have to check out a couple of guitars with EMG's before I think about going that route. *I dont know if I want them though, i wanna keep my little toes... ;-)
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 10:24 AM

I have X2N and Evo neck on my 7dbk and they are pretty cool but am changing them soon. The two are just too different as a pair but each rocks exceptionally by themselves.

Maybe X2N and Air Norton (mental metal shred combo) or the full evo set.

~James
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 12:36 AM

BTW, im thinkin on putting a set of EVO's on a SK that im getting for christmas (forget that FP)... And my thought is...

Have anybody tried the different wood combos with the evos... ?

Like Evo's on
1. Alder and ebony (VWH)
2. Basswood and rosewood (FP and many more)
3. Basswood and maple (BFP, SK and many more)

Do the Evo's become very bright with a maple neck for example ??
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-14-2001, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Hey Jem10, how is the X2N in the bridge position of the DBK? *Ive been reading up on it a little bit, and im interested in checking it out possibly. *Does it sound really trebly in the DBK? *How is the tonal character, also.......does it break up a lot? *Like a distortion PU? *im not looking for tons of breakup really. *Im looking for something loud, full, aggressive yet clear and well defined at the same time. *

Has anyone else used the X2N and liked or disliked it? *Id appreaciate the info!! the search for a new bridge pickup is still on....

(Edited by Guitarlos2 at 7:33 pm on Dec. 14, 2001)
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-14-2001, 08:03 PM

Quote:
UVmanMike on 12:08 am on Dec. 11, 2001
EMGs ... are only available in black though....
I'm pretty sure you can special order them in white or cream as well. I had a set on order in cream a few years back but it took too long so I cancelled them.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-15-2001, 01:02 PM

I actually love the sound of the X2N. It helped to get the perfect distortion that I was looking for. Very crisp and clear but not overly trebley. It doesnt break up and is always consistantly full on and aggressive and yet each note is clear. Playing it through a DS1 and Legacy Halfstack it is unreal. Pushes the tubes that extra bit but retains clarity.

It is difficult pickup to master though. It picks up all miss notes and accidentals like the EVO bridge but even clearer in distortion.

I reccomend this pickup 110% if you want to have a pickup that handles the distortion but retains full clarity. Sounds none too shabby clean too...

~james
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-17-2001, 09:19 AM

i didnt' think i would like the breeds in my 7dbk but i wouldn't change them for the world. *other than them, i would go evo's. *

evo's are more of an evenly spaced warm tone. *does that make sense? *the breeds are more aggressive, tighter, focused mainly on the mids with really cool tight bottom end! *perfect for metallica. *for that reason, i have to keep them. *evo's are not as aggressive for that kind of music. *they are great for vai or van halen and great for clean. *breeds are nice clean, really vibrant and clear, and tight as hell for metal !!!!!!! *it helps me to get a great dream theater or metallica tone.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-20-2001, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the help everyone, I have come up with a solution for my problem. *Im going to go with EMG pickups in my DBK *:-) *An 81 in the bridge, and an 85 in the neck *(I know KennyDoe will be dissappointed in my choice, lol) *

I have heard EMG's in a number of guitars now, and im sure that they are gonna sound kick ass in my Jem. *They are currently being installed, and ill keep ya updated on the results!!

Tags
air norton , air norton neck , basswood bodies , basswood body , bridge pickup , bridge position , dave weiner , dimarzio evo , dimarzio evolution , dimarzio evolution bridge , dimarzio tone , dimarzio tone zone , evo bridge , evolution bridge , fender strat , jem custom , maple neck , mesa boogie , norton neck , paf pro , seymour duncan , seymour duncan custom , tone zone , tone zone bridge , van halen , zone bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode