Jem 7DBK pickup change, what do you recommend? - Not agressi - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Jem 7DBK pickup change, what do you recommend? - Not agressi

Recently Im having a dilemna over here with my new 7DBK. *I just recently swapped out the pickups in my Fender Strat, and installed a Seymour Duncan Custom pickup in the bridge. *I absolutely love it!! *The tone is thick, full, and agressive. *Ever since my new pickups have been installed in the Fender, the Breeds in my 7DBK arent appealing to me as much anymore. *They seem more weak to me now.

Are there any good alternatives for the 7DBK bridge pickup wise? *Im looking for something that is more agressive (not more breakup like a distortion PU though) *and something thick and full. *Lots of power. *Im thinking it might not be a good idea to use a Duncan in the bridge position of my dbk, so what Dimarzio might you guys recommend??

Thank you! *Jason

(Edited by Guitarlos2 at 3:29 pm on Dec. 5, 2001)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 03:03 PM
rvj

Jem 7DBK pickup change, what do you recommend?

Evolutions. Personally I prefer them over the Breeds. I've also heard a lot of good things about Tone Zones, which I'm installing in my 777DY. If you're looking for a super hot pick-up, DiMarzio has the X2N.

(Edited by rvj at 2:04 pm on Dec. 5, 2001)
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 11:28 PM

The evolutions in Jems are pretty sweet. Another cool combination could be a Air Norton/Tone Zone, Air Norton/Steve's Special, or PAF Pro/Tone Zone. I believe all those combinations have appeared in Ibanez production guitars with basswood bodies in the past (mostly USA Customs & J-Customs I believe).

Here's something for consideration... if you want to try a PAF Pro/Tone Zone, I'll trade you those 2 pickups for the set of Breeds. I have two 3120's, both of which have the PAF Pro/TZ set up, and I'd like for one of them to be a little different (and I'm really anxious to try a set of Breeds in a mahogany guitar). If you're not interested in trading for the PAF Pro/TZ, I'd consider buying the Breeds off of you.

--Brent
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 10:14 AM

Evolutions, if not the stock Breeds...
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 11:31 AM

Paf Pro in the neck for those original Jem tones, Evo in the bridge for an extra bit of clout when needed. I've had this set up for a couple of months now and it works really well.

Matt
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

I would try out the Evos, but Ive heard that they have a little more high end, and are probably better for leads than for thick rythyms? *I play leads, but im mainly looking for a PU that will allow for full bodied chord playing with good chunk. *Are the Evo's more so for soloing, with a high end boost? *I dont know if thats what i need really.....
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 03:02 PM

Evos are thick for rhythm. *very ballsy.
keep in mind that your amp andd a good EQ can make a big difference.

~Kenny
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 08:49 PM

Good point Kenny....I really don't think that CAN be said too much....I think that's one of the most valid points that can ever be made about personal sound....I have heard the Evos do both, in my hands, and man, it ALL sounds good. *Trust us, the Evos can chunk with the best of em....
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanx for the info and recommendations so far guys. *Im kind of interested in checking out a tone zone for the bridge in my DBK. *I may be interested in taking you up on that deal bduersch, but I think im gonna stick with my Breed neck PU. *Has anyone ever used a Tone Zone in their Jem?? *please let me know what you think of this setup. *Also, is the TZ a more agressive sounding pickup? *not slightly mellower like the Breeds?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 08:41 PM

I have a Tone Zone in a Jem Custom and it's paired with a Paf Pro. The TZ is dissapointing in the basswood body. I would reccomend the Steve's Special. I had one in a 560 that rocked. A friend of bduersch has that guitar now. He is still sending me emails on the sound. My newest monster will have the Petrucci combination (SS/AN).

J>:thumbsup:
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 07:07 AM

Hey there,

When I got my DBK I didn't like the Breed in the bridge position either. I have an S-series (which I'm trynna sell) with a Bill Lawrence II in the that position and it's chunky shred all the way. I was looking for much the same thing but in a Dimarzio this time. I went with the Steve's Special and have never looked back. The Breed is a nice warm pickup but I couldn't get the chunk I wanted out of it; too much middle range output for what I was looking for. I left the neck Breed and the stock singlecoil as it was because I use those pickups for warmer tones and the Breeds do that for me. The Steve's Special has a high and low end boost with a bit of mid scoop going so is perfect for those metallichunk kinds of rhythms and soaring lead lines.

Hope this helps,

LJ
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 02:00 PM

Guys, I just got MY 7DBK yesterday, and those pickups rock....but that's just my opinion.....Dave Weiner's too....:biggrin:....he told they are his favorite pickups in a 6-string....but anyway, I think the Evos would sound good, and I hadn't heard about the TZ sounding weak in a basswood body....hmmmm....but I guess now that I think about it, the only thing I have really heard them in was an RG3120....mahogany
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

I used to really be into the Breeds on my DBK, but after experiencing a new pickup on my Fender, Im interested in something that has more bite now. *The Breeds sound great, and have a smooth, full and warm tone. *What they seem to lack though is bite, chunk and agressive power. *Im running my guitar into a Mesa Boogie DC-5, so my amp certainly has the gain and attitude im looking for, thats not an issue*really.

Im still undecided on what to try in the bridge, ill have to do some more research over here *:-) *I wouldnt think the TZ would sound weak in a basswood body....atleast not from Dimarzios information on it. *hmm

(Edited by Guitarlos2 at 9:05 pm on Dec. 8, 2001)
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Heres an interesting recommendation I got from someone at guitar center the other day. *I told this guy my pickup situation, and he whole heartedly recommended EMG pickups as a solution. *Has anyone tried EMG's in their Ibanez?? *Im considering it, but Ive never tried them before. *Im no that familiar with active PU's.....
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 12:08 AM

I personally think that EMGs are the best pickups made, but many would very strongly disagree. You either love them or you hate them, I love them, but many think that the passive route provides more tonal character. EMGs are very quiet, have higher output than any passive pickup made, sound great, and look way cooler (IMHO) than DiMarzios. They are only available in black though....that may be a problem. All in all it's an 'ice cream' thing with pickups....Although I would recommend these pickups in this order:
1.EMG 81 bridge, 85 neck
2.DiMarzio Evolution bridge, Air Norton neck
3.DiMarzio Tone Zone bridge, Air Norton neck

Tags
air norton , air norton neck , basswood bodies , basswood body , bridge pickup , bridge position , dave weiner , dimarzio evo , dimarzio evolution , dimarzio evolution bridge , dimarzio tone , dimarzio tone zone , evo bridge , evolution bridge , fender strat , jem custom , maple neck , mesa boogie , norton neck , paf pro , seymour duncan , seymour duncan custom , tone zone , tone zone bridge , van halen , zone bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode