Jem 7v 2011 Edge OG PROBLEM! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Jem 7v 2011 Edge OG PROBLEM!

Ok i know i've seen this posted before here, but I can not find where exactly. So my problem is when i depress the bridge and then release, it will return slightly lower than zero-point. And when I bend up on the bridge it will return slightly above zero-point... this pisses me off soo much... I heard something about using Chapstick to a certain part of the bridge. I am looking for help explaining where this part is, and how to get there. And alos what kind of chapstick and is there any other way of preventing this problem as it seems to be a large problem for some. Thank you and if you must move this thread then fine, sry about not finding it already posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 01:24 PM

Reviews: 11
Re: Jem 7v 2011 Edge OG PROBLEM!

this should in no way be happening to a 2011. Chapstick on the knife edges though.

where did you buy it from?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 01:30 PM

Reviews: 2

The answer to where the Chapstick is applied is one of the tags. The idea is to lubricate the contact point between the knife edges and the trem posts. To apply, you could remove the bridge and put it on the knife edges. I've also read that you can turn the trem post 180 deg, apply to the now open side of the trem post, then rotate it back.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 01:34 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
this should in no way be happening to a 2011. Chapstick on the knife edges though.

where did you buy it from?

Yeah, I agree. I've never had this problem, even with a LO-TRSII.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 02:07 PM

Reviews: 4

Your answer is here http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/lockdown.htm .

You NEED to tune perfectly with the nut unlocked , then dive (you can pull up, but ALWAYS end on a dive) after you dive then tune, THEN you lock the nut. I had that problem, and this is how you fix it!

|EDIT: refer to this as well http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/stretch.htm
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 02:47 PM

This is a common problem that affects Jems of all models/bridges/years. 2011 models are no diff than any others in this regard, it happened to my 2011 7VWH and my 2011 77FP2 when I got them, as well as many of my older Jems. The chap stick method outlined above is the solution, as well as locking studs, a correct setup, etc. Good luck, and PM me if you need help.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 11:53 AM

Reviews: 12

Make sure the bridge is angled right it wont sit the same as a bridge with a perfectly flat baseplate. I need to do the chapstick to my 550 as i get it not returning right...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therightjem View Post
The answer to where the Chapstick is applied is one of the tags. The idea is to lubricate the contact point between the knife edges and the trem posts. To apply, you could remove the bridge and put it on the knife edges. I've also read that you can turn the trem post 180 deg, apply to the now open side of the trem post, then rotate it back.
+1. I had the exact same problem with a different trem, and all it needed was some lubrication on the posts and knife edges.

Tags
chapstick , edge problem , knife edge , return , zero point

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode