Jem 7v Action to high help! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Jem 7v Action to high help!

I got my Jem 7v today, but the action is a bit to high. Im having trouble trying to figure out how to lower it. It looks as if theres a allen key hole inside the allen key hole. Do you have to unlock this some how? None of the allen keys provided fit the small hole inside the hole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Re: Jem 7v Action to high help!

Ohh and I have read the ibanezrules tech and searched this forum.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsleepplayguitar View Post
Ohh and I have read the ibanezrules tech and searched this forum.
Appearently not too well........

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/action.htm

Did you read this???

Action Adjustment

Adjusting the action varies by the type of guitar but since this is an Ibanez site you'll find Ibanez directions. Final action adjustment is the last tweak to make and should be done when the neck relief is correct [for you] and the trem angle is correct. After it's set make a final check of the setup to be positive nothing else has changed. Once action height is set it should never need adjusting, the only things that will change it are the natural changes your neck will make as it warms/cools/humidifies/dries, and the trem angle which will change for the same reasons, as your neck moves, and your body swells and shrinks. Adjust what is changing, don't just tweak the string height as a quick fix instead of tweaking what has caused the action to change [although between string changes even I'll go for the quick fix over a re-setup].

It is perfectly fine that the bridge is at an angle!! [the treble side lower than the bass]. Wound strings need much more room to oscillate than the fine treble strings. You can run treble action much lower than bass without buzz and is perfectly fine to do.

Floating Bridge - Edge, Lo Pro, Pro Edge, and all of the double locking Floyd variants are adjusted by raising and lowering the trem studs that the knife edges pivot on. There is a small 1.5mm Allen adjustable set screw inside the studs on all Edge and Lo Pro equipped guitars that must be kept tight for the best tuning stability. Never try and loosen it with the allen wrench but use the 4mm Allen to back out [Lefty Loosey] the studs a hair to free the set screws. If raising the action raise it until it's correct and retighten the set screws. If lowering the action use the 1.5mm Allen to back out the set screw enough to allow the bridge to be lowered. When correct retighten the set screws. Important! After you've tightened the sets using the 1.5mm Allen use your 4mm Allen to tighten the studs down on the set screw to really lock the threads together and give a very solid fulcrum for the bridge. It should only be about 1/16th of a turn so don't try grinding everything together or you'll either break the head off the stud or spin the stud anchors in the body, use good sense when applying torque, but you do want the threads locked together. Adjusting the string height to a large degree will alter the tuning slightly, which can alter everything. If you are making extreme action adjustments be sure to retune, readjust the trem angle, and then recheck the action. Yes, you can adjust the studs with the strings at full pitch without fear of damaging the knife edges or the studs.

This was taken right off IbanezRules
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

I did read this, several times. I dont understand it?

On my rg350 I just use a single allen key wrench to lower or raise both sides of the trem system. From what I understand of this, you have to use a smaller allen key to unlock somthing, and you can raise or lower the trem system?

Please help me with this? can someone explain to me what to do in real simple terms?
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemplayer55 View Post
Floating Bridge - Edge, Lo Pro, Pro Edge, and
What's a Pro Edge Mikey?? hehe! You haven't been here in a while and I owe you a few

Eat Sleep, what year is your 7v?? If it's pre 2003 it'll be a Lo-Pro. 2003 and on It'll be an Edgepro. There is a difference in the the way you set the trem angle.

what year?
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777 View Post
What's a Pro Edge Mikey?? hehe! You haven't been here in a while and I owe you a few

Eat Sleep, what year is your 7v?? If it's pre 2003 it'll be a Lo-Pro. 2003 and on It'll be an Edgepro. There is a difference in the the way you set the trem angle.

what year?
I just got it brand new from a store in Vancouver B.C. who just recently got it. So its got to be pretty new
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

i have a rg350 and a jem 555 which i raised and lowered the trem system several times. When I read these instructions, it sounds like i have to unlock somthing first?
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

http://www.ibanezrules.com/images/te...etup_post3.jpg

is this pre 2003 models?

Can i just raise and lower it like my rg350 and jem 555
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 11:47 PM

If it is a brand new Jem, meaning if it has an Edge Pro, then the answer is no, you do not have locking studs present and you DO NOT need to unlock anything on the bridge to raise or lower your action.

The exception to this is if someone has installed Rich's locking stud mod on this guitar which is extremely doubtful if you picked it up new in a retail store.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

finally, it just seems like i have to force the studs quite a bit.. ill go try it.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 11:59 PM

OK so it's an Edge Pro. You'll want the trem angle parallel to the body. That can make a big difference in height. They are non-locking studs (unless you got it from Rich

Simply adjust the bridge height with the 4mm wrench provided in your tool pac. Clockwise = lower / counterclockwise = raise.

It's not rocket science good luck and make sure the trem angle is parallel

Quote:
finally, it just seems like i have to force the studs quite a bit.. ill go try it.

what do you mean force?? they arent bottomed out are they??? Don't force it
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777 View Post
"Pro Edge"...... that came right off Rich's keyboard! I just did the cut & paste!

Actually this guy needs to determine the year of his JEM and whether it's been modified plus the floating bridge type. Did it come with a blank warranty card? What's the serial number? Got pic's??? (big help there!)

I'd suggest if he's not comfortable, doesn't understand Rich's instructions or doesn't know the difference between Ibanez floating bridges to take it to a guitar tech familiar with JEM's. JMHO & $.02 worth of advice.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

I got it, i didnt have to unlock anything. I just had to turn the allen key a bit harder.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 12:24 AM

Quote:
I got it, i didnt have to unlock anything. I just had to turn the allen key a bit harder.
I knew ya could they are just new studs

It's HIGHLY doubtful it has the locking stud mod coming from a music store

Is your trem parallel to the body???

I know how those factory Ibanez setups (or lack there of) are
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemplayer55 View Post
"Pro Edge"...... that came right off Rich's keyboard! I just did the cut & paste!
Oh boy is he gonna get it

I think we can help eatsleep out without having to take it to a tech

Tags
allen wrench , equipped guitar , floating bridges , guitar tech , les paul , locking stud , locking stud mod , locking studs , music store , neck relief , nut height , pro edge , trem studs , wound strings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode