jem 7v prototype? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

jem 7v prototype?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XxexbaCw2c
is steve playing an early prototype to the 7v?
and what about those pickups, they look like blade pickups to me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 11:34 PM

Re: jem 7v prototype?

That video is very cool...never saw that.

It's from the Fire Garden Tour. The 7v's have been around far longer than that (since S&R, at least). I'm thinking that might have been one of the 'Lasher' guitars, but i'm sure one of the Jem historians around here will probably correct me.

Thanks for the link!
~K
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking maby it was a prototype he kept as a backup, cause if you look its a jem, but the claw is missing, it has a black pickguard and it looks off to me somehow, like its proportioned differently
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 11:43 PM

It could be one of the Lasher guitars. I always thought they had regular RG dot necks. Still, the tremolo routing suggests that it's not a regular Jem, or it's the lighting that fools my eyes. Looks square to me, as in no Lion's Claw.

But... Didn't Steve use a separate guitar for this tune, since it's tuned so low? Could be just a regular Jem with a black guard to make it more visible to pick up for Vai or the tech.

All in all. I have no idea. But a Jem7v proto? No, I don't think so.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 11:43 PM

well all his 7vs are in standard so this would just be used as the drop C guitar, whatever it is, he used to use koreans and other cheaper guitars also if he felt like getting a little carried away.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

look, missing claw entirely and its a jem cause, why would he go through the trouble of installing a tilt jack, and a jem neck on a korean rg?
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 11:55 PM

Is this from the G3 with EJ and JS? It looks like the same set-up of amps, and Vai is wearing the same clothes as the Minneapolis G3 dvd.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 12:00 AM

http://vai.com/Machines/guitarpages/guitar007.html

Would need to correct myself then. A prototype after all. Although used long after the production model was released.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 12:26 AM
MM

The guitar wasn't a prototype for the 7V - it was a prototype for a Jem with a swamp ash body.

Mikey
vai.com
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 12:35 AM

So the one I linked to and the guitar in the video is the same, only stripped for paint in the Vai.com/Gallery.

Makes sense. Thanks Mikey, for the clarification.

(I always thought MM was the initials for Mandy Moore...)
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 12:51 AM
MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
So the one I linked to and the guitar in the video is the same, only stripped for paint in the Vai.com/Gallery.

Makes sense. Thanks Mikey, for the clarification.

(I always thought MM was the initials for Mandy Moore...)
You know what? Upon watching the entire video, I see that I'm wrong. It's not the "Bad H" guitar from the Vai.com gallery. Normally Steve used this guitar for the song, but this video does indeed show a painted guitar. Also, "Bah H" has a a strange "locking" input jack on the side of the guitar about 3 inches below where the normal input jack on a Jem is.

I suspect it's one of the Lasher configurations - and there were a number of them - that Steve used during the Fire Garden tour. His tech, Roger Bell has a bunch of necks and bodies and they were changed around a lot - especially if a neck broke. Bad Horsie was the song where Steve threw the guitar around.

Rich Pike shot this video. It appeared on an older version of Vai.com. The video was poorly compressed back then and looks even worse on YouTube. One of these days I'll find the original tape and reimport and reencode it.

Mandy Moore
vai.com

Last edited by MM; 11-21-2006 at 01:09 AM.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Deleted post
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 01:28 AM
MM

Okay - forget everything I just said. I have the final answer. It's "BH II" - a guitar that does not appear in the Vai.com guitar Gallery, but one that I photographed in Steve's vault. In this video, it has a black pickguard, but now has a regular pearloid 7V pickguard. I found a Quicktime version of the same video here on my harddrive. BH II also has a big crack in the body that runs from about where the input jack is to about an inch from the pickguard between the volume and tone knobs.

In the video I can also see "BH II" written below the trem. It has a regular lions claw cavity, and is just a standard 7VWH with a different pickguard.

This was a fun investigation! I wish they asked questions like this over ont he Vai.com forum!

Mikey
vai.com
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 01:58 AM

MM RULES!!!
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubarão Guitars View Post
MM RULES!!!
fu#ken oath he does!

Tags
black pickguard , fire garden , guitar collection , jem neck , production model , swamp ash , swamp ash body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode