Jem 7V - volume control sensitivity question - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Jem 7V - volume control sensitivity question

Hi,

I have a Jem 7V, which I love, but one of the few things that I don't like about it is the sensitivity of the volume control (or lack thereof). If I'm either playing a rhythm part or playing a solo piece with a quiet / less overdriven section in it, I find I have to roll the volume knob so far back that I sometimes accidentally over-do it and kill the sound altogether. Whereas on my Strat, I can pretty much always get all the dynamics I need in about the top half of the volume knob (often the top third in fact).

I know that the pickups on the Jem are more sensitive, but the same thing applies to the single coil pickup... and it's rather frustrating! Not sure whether it's supposed to be like that or if mine has a fault - so has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks!

Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 03:04 PM

Reviews: 6
Re: Jem 7V - volume control sensitivity question

Probably just the Evolutions in the guitar. I've noticed that with my guitars that have Evo's. You get either "all or nothing" from them when it comes to the volume pot. Another reason could be the size of the pot(I'm not sure if it's true) but I've notieced that the smaller 500k pots allow for better trim when it comes to volume. You can also do "volume swells" easier with smaller 500k pots. All of my strats have the smaller 500k pots and my Ibanez's have the bigger(newer) 500k pots. So that might be a factor as well. You may want to throw on a capacitor on the volume to add a bit more dynamics to it.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 03:11 AM

try replace the pot with a DiMarzio Custom Taper 500k. be aware that the hole in the pickguard must be enlarged a bit to fit the new pot.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 04:09 AM

May be the volume pot is a linear one (B500)
if yes, replace it with a logarythmic (A500)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 07:26 AM

Reviews: 2

Else you can try the Evo2 - it sounds the same with a very even volume. I have it on my Jem 7RB. I don't see the point of the Evos extra boost. It could get that from the amp/pedal.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all - I think the first thing to do is figure out which kind of volume pot is in it at the moment. If it's a linear one (I don't think it should be?) then I'll get it changed.

Don't particularly want to change the pickups as I do like the sustain I get from the Evo's, but I might look into the big / small 500k pots, to see if there's any difference in design.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Just thought I'd post a quick update - I've swapped out the volume pot with a Dimarzio custom taper pot, and it's much better :-)

Had to enlarge the hole in the scratch plate and buy an extra washer to keep the height above the scratch plate correct, and the knob was a bit of a tight fit (but solved by squeezing together the pot shaft) - nothing insurmountable, and definitely worth it.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 07:52 PM

Reviews: 2

it all depends on the amount of gain you have dialed into your amp. More gain creates less headroom for volume. Another thing you can try is get a volume pedal and try using it. I use a Visual Volume 10 and it's great, cause wat i do it dial it back and if i need to go even quieter i dial back on the guitar.

But having said that, with my high amount of gain usage the pedal doesn't have a big volume change, but wat i figured out was that if i dial it back it makes your sound more dynamics and you really have control over how you picking responds.

And if you want more swell i can dial it back on the guitar just a touch, and then i can swell.

But a volume pedal is a good investment anyway, especially with a delay

If you read all of that, i'm very proud of you.

Toodles!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I have a volume pedal anyway, but it's not the same. Has it uses, but it's not a replacement for the volume knob on the guitar. But the Dimarzio pot more or less does the trick, so I'm happy for now!

Tags
knob dynamics swell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode