Jem 7V wh With Roland Gr-20 synthesizer - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Jem 7V wh With Roland Gr-20 synthesizer

Has anyone done this? What does it look like. Do I have to re wire or damage my jem in anyway installing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Re: Jem 7V wh With Roland Gr-20 synthesizer

also will i have to mod my case it came with?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 11:27 PM

The first result from google, which I suggest you use next time, says...

"First, attach the included GK-3 Divided Pickup to your steel-stringed electric (no drilling necessary)"
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyr Machine View Post
The first result from google, which I suggest you use next time, says...

"First, attach the included GK-3 Divided Pickup to your steel-stringed electric (no drilling necessary)"
Whats better the gr-33 or gr-20... I hate rolands website,
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 06:55 AM

I've attached a GK-3 to a 77BFP attaching the control box using the mounting plate that attaches via the rear strap button so as not to damage the guitar.

The actual pickup thingy sticks on the the scratchplate between the bridge pickup and the tremolo with double sided tape at the worst it mighht damage the scratchplate in this region if I remove it, no biggy, I'll just replace the scratchplate if necessary.
I've also attached a GK2-A to an RG but this time I stuck it down with double sided tape, probably a mistake if I ever try to remove it, but I was much younger then!

As you can see, the GK-3 only just misses the back of the trem even with an extra spacer between the mounting plate and the rim of the guitar. Might be a problem with a different trem from a lo-pro though.
The GK-2A might have fitted better but they'll be hard to get.
As it happens the case for both guitars is not the Ibanez one so there's plenty of room I'll ltry it in my Ibanez case for my VWH later and see if it still fits, the GK-3 is fairly low profile so I would guess it might.
Jim
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 09:51 AM

I did the internal GK-2 kit on my 7DBK 4 or 5 years ago (I hated putting that big block thing on the back of the guitar). I intalled the GK jack into the bottome edge of the guitar and had to rout a pretty good section out underneath the pickguard as well as adding a 3rd knob between the normal JEM vol and tone knob, a mini toggle switch and the push button channel switches. I have since removed that pickguard and put the original back on it so I don't have any pics handy, but when it was installed it looked pretty good. Right now I just have the control boards mounted in the guitar. So when or if I want to reconnect it, it just plugs back into the circuitry and I just swap the pickguards. Of course, that also means remounting all the original pups into the GK-2 pickguard. Someday when I've got more money than sense I'll buy replacement pickups for it and then it will get really easy to swap.
I don't know that any of this helps, but at least I know that I'm not the only one that has ever wanted to do this sort of thing. Sure beats that Fender Roland Strat that I had.....Ugh!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsleepplayguitar View Post
Whats better the gr-33 or gr-20... I hate rolands website,

GR33 is better imho, it has all the effects and extra options for altering the sounds to suite what you need. Also the extra foot pedals are more useful for changing through patches. GR20 is better for plug and play but you'll soon get over the novelty and the GR33s extra features are worth the extra money if you are serious about playing keyboard parts on guitar.

Ibanez RG1520 tracks better (more forgiving of your technique) than something with a GK3 attached - though these can be really good if you spend the time getting the setup right. I think its the only guitar on the market that includes a synth p/up in a double locking trem too.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchriossi View Post
GR33 is better imho, it has all the effects and extra options for altering the sounds to suite what you need. Also the extra foot pedals are more useful for changing through patches. GR20 is better for plug and play but you'll soon get over the novelty and the GR33s extra features are worth the extra money if you are serious about playing keyboard parts on guitar.

Ibanez RG1520 tracks better (more forgiving of your technique) than something with a GK3 attached - though these can be really good if you spend the time getting the setup right. I think its the only guitar on the market that includes a synth p/up in a double locking trem too.

Does the 33 offer support for custom MIDI patches?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 11:17 AM

so far as i remember from reading the manual - you can connect the 33 to a keyboard or other external module and play any sounds off the keyboard using your guitar rather than the keys to trigger the sounds - don't think you can actually download any sounds onto the 33 to create custom patches. You can use it as an external sequencer input tool too.

Tags
bridge pickup , mini toggle , strap button , toggle switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode