Is the JEM 7V worth the money? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Is the JEM 7V worth the money?

What makes the JEM so pricy? Is it worth the money? I'm new here btw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Is the JEM 7V worth the money?

The world economy makes the JEM so expensive. The Japanese Yen is so strong at the moment its driving the price of the JEM upwards.

Having said that, yes, it is worth it, even at today's price.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, I've heard that the JEM's neck is similar to the Fender Strat's, is that true? I like Jumbo frets, because they feel smooth, do the JEM's frets make it any less smooth?
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

The neck is what it is, it's similar to some Fender Strats but is on the wider but thinner side. The frets aren't quite jumbo, they're 6105s which are a little thinner, but still tall.

And no, the neck (with a good set up) is as smooth as it comes.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 11:05 AM

Definitely a wider/thinner neck. For me, it's a very different feel than my Strat neck, or really any Strat I've ever played.

As for is it worth it, that's up to you. I got mine new in 97' for $1650 and really, that's the highest amount I'd ever pay for a mass produced guitar. If I were to buy a new guitar over $2K now, I'd most definitely go with a Suhr.

My 7V is still my baby, but it also came with a few flaws from the factory (middle pick-up didn't work, pick-up screws were black instead of gold). For that price, at that time, I feel the guitar should have been flawless, which is what Suhr is putting out now, for the same price a new 7V goes for.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, the thing is, I want a really good guitar, and I don't know if I should go for the RG Premium, or a JS, or a JEM7v.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

An Anderson or a Suhr should definitely be on your shopping list for the price point of a JEM7V. With a good setup (which the Suhr and Anderson will have from the factory) a JEM will easily hold its own against these guitars.

Whichever you find more inspiring (Vai's signature model vs. "custom shop" kudos) is up to you.

I love John Suhr's guitars, but I haven't found one that I find actually inspiring to play yet. I get inspired every time I pick up one of my JEMs.

YMMV...
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

I have an RG350DX and an RG7321, all low end models, I think it's about time I got a high end guitar, do you ever regret buying a JEM?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 11:42 AM

Reviews: 11

I've played a lot of guitars. Jem is easily the best and most versatile with it's H-S-H setup. Best feeling, looking and playing guitar on the planet. But I am biased. Steve Vai is god.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzi View Post
I have an RG350DX and an RG7321, all low end models, I think it's about time I got a high end guitar, do you ever regret buying a JEM?
I second what Jono said--while they are expensive, they are worth every penny! My first was a 77VBK, then an SK, then the LNG, then a 77FP, and I finally just got a good 7VWH a few weeks ago. If you can, get a good used one. You'll get a great guitar for a lot less money.

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 12:09 PM

Your local prices on different brands is probably not the same, so keep that in mind. Here, a Tyler Studio Elite HD (schmear finish - that's almost a swirl!) cost the same as a 7VWH. I would never buy a Jem (or any other Ibanez) in that situation. If you can get by with 22 frets, there are many guitars out there that will rival the Jem.

Used they are great value for little money, which also shows that the resale value is not great (compared to other brands).

There is a reason why so many think the RG series are great. They are more affordable, but still good. A Jem is not twice as good just because it cost twice as much.

Also, if you ask this question on any other forum, they will probably bash the Jem. Fanboys and haters are just that. Take it for what it is.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 12:10 PM

Not any better or worse in that price cat than any of the others. Matter of preference.
Personally i do not care for the pretty much worth;less single in the middle and like HH configuration. In the Ibanez line i like the JS1200 a whole lot better than any of my Jems. I like the neck rounder and unfinished, i like the pickup conf, i like the coil split, and the radius body sure feels nicer than the RG body. Take a JS over a Jem any old day.

Aside from Ibanez i look at PRS and i very much like the Parker Dragonflys. You like a shredder, tons of equally quality guitars from Jackson, ESP and so on.

At this price point matter of preference.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
A Jem is not twice as good just because it cost twice as much.
No it's twice as good because it has a handle routed through it and comes with the Original Edge trem again. The price is incidental...

Quote:
Also, if you ask this question on any other forum, they will probably bash the Jem. Fanboys and haters are just that. Take it for what it is.
This is true, ask what guitar you should buy at certain forums and they'll tell you the opposite of what replies you'll get here. You have to decide what you want to get out of the guitar, is it the "boutique, cork-sniffer value" that only comes with a custom shop instrument, ideally from an individual luthier, or do you want "Vai-appeal" that only comes with the JEM.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
No it's twice as good because it has a handle routed through it and comes with the Original Edge trem again. The price is incidental...
Of course, the "2x money =|= 2x quality" goes for everything, not just Ibanez. I've heard the handle makes it better. I've also heard the handle makes it worse... Now I don't know what to think!
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Of course, the "2x money =|= 2x quality" goes for everything, not just Ibanez. I've heard the handle makes it better. I've also heard the handle makes it worse... Now I don't know what to think!
Never believe anyone who doesn't want a handle in their guitar

Tags
guitar , jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode