Jem 7VSBL & RGT-3120 comparision - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
rvj

Jem 7VSBL & RGT-3120 comparision

Finally got to see and play the new Jem and both RGT's. First was the Jem of course, followed by the TV and DB. The Jem played exceptionally well and the trem was super smooth. So smooth in fact, that I wondered why all 5 of my trems did'nt feel that way. The rosewood fretboard was about medium darkness and the blue vine showed rather nicely. This baby sounded sweet and played effortlessly. What can I say... I loved it!!! The sparkle blue was simply stunning while the hardware added a nice touch. Now the issue of the ugly ass white pups and guard. While I did'nt care for their appearance, after playing this guitar I could have cared less what color they were.
Next up were the two RGT's. The top of the deep brown definitely showed the grain way better the the trans violet. The necks were thicker than the Jem, and really reminded me of my Les Paul. The mahogany bodies were heavy but sounded super sweet. While both the RGT's sounded good, they did in fact sound different. For some reason the DB was quite a bit brighter than the TV. The TV had sustain out the ying yang! Once again reminding me of my Les Paul. The DB did'nt have as much sustain, which I would contribute to the added brightness in tone. Both RGT's played equally as well as one another, and were consistant in feel.
To sum things up and rate these three guitars, I personally felt the Jem was the best of the bunch. What can I say, maybe I'm impartial to Jems. I would place the TV in second, due to the difference in tonal quality over the DB. All three guitars possessed great quality and had really nice set-ups as well.
One more thing, I thought I had G.A.S licked when I bought my 90th. Well, guess what.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 07:35 PM

Veering off topic..

GAS is never cured, it merely goes into remission for a while.

The time it stays in remission is related to how much you earn in a year, how many kids you have, how much (if any) alimony you pay, how much time you've spent in prison, how long since your band has been playing together (or how long since they've broken up), the amount of your monthly mortgage/rent and other "required" payments, time since your last GAS attack, the amount of maintenaince that your abode and vehicles currently require, how many hours a week you work, how many hours a week you play, amount spent during your last GAS attack, the amount of time since you've last been laid and several psychological factors. The formula is far too long and complex to display here, much less understand.

Strangely, number of guitars owned has little to do w/ the remission period.

Speaking of GAS, I just added this to my collection of blank boards. Not an IBZ, but schweet. The Poop.

-bill
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
rvj

Gee guys, 95 views and only one response. I must post the most boring topics. I was kinda hoping others would share their views on these particular guitars.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 03:08 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
most of us haven't seen or played either axe

i'm not buying either anytime soon (if ever). Myself, i'd probably rather have two UCEW/USRGs for the price of one RGT today... glen
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 03:13 PM
Vendor

Mr USA in the house

These are really so different it's not worth trying to make comparrisons, there are far more differences in tone and feel than similarities. Wood, neck profiles, electronics, construction, these guitars are night and day from each other.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 03:17 PM

I can't comment on the Jem7vsbl because I have yet to play one. I am able to comment on the VWH and RGT 3120DB. I have both of these guitars and I have found myself playing the rgt a bit more than the vwh as of late. It probably is due to the fact that the rgt is a new guitar, but every time I play a Asus4 chord on the vwh I fall in luv all over again. The 3120 sounds great to me. I did find it bright at first, but after putting 10s on it and jackin' with the eq setting etc... I really like the tone and the sustain is so thick. But as Vai says Evo/VWH is home and that goes for me also.
Out,
GP
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 04:17 PM

I posted this exact comparison a few months back and i can't seem to locate it.

The VSBL wasn't particularly impressive to me. The RG looked fabulous and had a fatter neck than the VSBL (or so it felt). It was also heavier. The only drawback (which doesn't mean much to most that come here) is that there's no middle pickup.

If I had $2000 and a choice, i'd buy the RG and spend the difference on an amp.

~Kenny
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 04:25 PM
Vendor

The actual sales price difference of the 2 isn't much at all.

I will say this, SBL sales were very slow, but have picked up considerably lately. I think there are more out in stores that people can actually "see" the finish first hand and see that it reall looks so much better in person. That and some independent minds that really don't care if some think it's "Vai style" enough
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
The actual sales price difference of the 2 isn't much at all.
I remember the difference at Sam's Ass being about $300. That's significant to me...

~Kenny
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 01:25 AM
Vendor

Yea but I was answering RVJ, resident real estate tycoon

I've got em' $225 apart, I agree, significant to many
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 06:40 AM

I ain't played either one... but I do have a VWH and I love it to death... the ebony board alone makes me never want to buy the sparkly blue beast, even though it's pretty much the same guitar. As far as just overall looks go, the VWH is just more classy looking to me. However, until I pay off my credit card debt, I won't be buying any more guitars and things... at least not till February
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 08:40 AM

i've tried both the 3120 and the jem7vsbl when they arrived here and i have to admit that i seem to like the rgt 3120 more the jem was nice but i prefered the pickups in the 3120 more than the Evos (somehow... don't really know why) - warmer tone

the finish on the jem is amazing, you have to look at it in person, the pics on the web makes it look too "light", it's a much darker shade of blue

both are excellent guitars though and i wish i could own them both
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 03:20 PM

I own a RGT 3120 (deep amber)It is a good guitar and very solid.It has alot of sustain and fullness to it.The neck shape is exgcellent and very playable even though it is a bit beefier than a Jem neck but not overly so.The top is actually very nice and not crappy looking at all.

I don't like the gloss finish on the neck.it holds up my hands.Overall,I prefer the sound of the bolt on Jem and the feel of it too but Ibanez did a really nice job with these RGT's

Tags
ebony board , jem neck , les paul , neck shape , rosewood fretboard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

guitare ibanez rg prestige 3120
ibanez 3120 with ebony fingerboar?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode