Jem 7vwh- Differences between the years? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2002, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Jem 7vwh- Differences between the years?

Thinking about picking up an ibanez jem 7vwh. *I notice the neck is a bit beefier that my old 777v, and the guy at the music store told me the white jems change each year (i.e. neck thickness) *True/Not true? It is a brand new 2001. *Any other differences? Let me know!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2002, 12:48 AM

Reviews: 5

Hmm...half right/half wrong.

According to specs, the necks do not change by year. *

If you ask JEM afficianados, we have noticed three basic profiles on the JEM necks. *

The original JEM neck is the thickest of the three, with a D shaped profile.

The second JEM profile is that of the JEM7VWH. *This is a considerably flatter but still rounded profile.

The third profile (which is possibly a money saving maneuver) is the Wizard profile. *An extremely flat D shape.

There are a few reasonings for the changes over the years.

First, Steve's taste in guitar necks has changed.
Second, the necks are finished (at least in part) by hand so precise consistency is unlikely.
Lastly, it would be cheaper to just use RG necks and adhere a JEM logo to them.

So there's a lot of argument about the reasons for the change. *It does seem clear that there has been some change to the neck shape over the years though. *

JEM7VWHs have changed mostly in that Ibanez now uses a satin finish, whereas some early models felt more of a gloss.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2002, 05:38 AM

There are some small detail diffrences between the two necks I have here, one is from 1998 and one is from 2001.
Mostly, it's the inlay. There is less filler and the inlay in the scallops are just as visable as the other inlays, on the older neck you can hardly see that there is inlay in the scallops. The newer scallops are wider. The joint between the neck and headstock has a diffrent shape.
Those are the only diffrences I noticed. The feel and shape are the same. *I recently played one from I think 1995, which was very much like my 1998 version.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2002, 06:07 AM

Which do you prefer, the 98 version or the 01 ??
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2002, 06:16 AM

As far as feel is concerned, I like 'm both just as much, although the 2001 neck is brand new, so it still has it silky feel to it.
For the looks I like the 2001 neck a bit better, because the vine is more complete. And on this neck all the MOB inlay pieces have lots of blue in it, which looks just stunning, if hit by light in the right way. Also the old one needs some repairwork at the inlays. They used quite a lot of filler around the smaller pieces of inlay, and that filler is in some places quite damaged to the point that one piece of inlay actually came loose. This is due to the extreme poor handling of the previous owner tho, not due to lack of quality by Ibanez.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2002, 12:27 AM
YJM

When did Ibanez start to use a satin finish? It seems as though all recent models (those that I've come across) have the same finish applied on them? The satin finish is really nice.

-Bill
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2002, 02:04 AM

I don't know about those finishes. New necks feel like new necks to me, and I think these have the same finish as always.
I did forget to mention a design upgrade tho. The holes for the locking nut screws are much less deeper. You actually need longer screws or loose one of the two washers. I suppose this is done to address the ease of fracturing around the trussrod there. The diffrence is about 3 milimetres.

Tags
ibanez jem , jem neck , locking nut , music store , neck shape

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode