JEM 7VWH, FINISH - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

JEM 7VWH, FINISH

hey ! i just bought this guitar and if you hold it up to the light you can see a few finish iperfections! kinda like a poly thing or something? it has a few lines and ripples if you will?
anyone else have that?
i own several usa customs and rg"s and none of them have that! could it be the alder body?
just curious , and thanks "its a 03 model"
perfect in every way,except this! just a few poly looking ripples or whatever?
can they be buffed out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 06:46 PM
Vendor

You should see a line where the 2 piece body meets, other than that whatever you see is grain in the basswood cap.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

thank you rich! that sounds like the real deal!lol

i also have several strats! a lot of them have it too!

so i guess trying to buff that out would be moot? for lack of a better term?

the line isnt right in the middle. its on the trem side of the lower body! i guess when the two piece goes together it doesnt necessarily have to be right dead middle?
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Vendor

They're never in the middle, and while it was perfectly flat when planed one will always shrink a little more than the other.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

man, im glad i ran in to you!lol i am very anal with my guitars! and i love this jem! it just kinda bothered me a little!

im cool now!lol you cant mess with mother nature!lol

thanks man.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 12:30 AM

rich has cleared up a few gripes for me too.

One of my concerns as far as aesthetics go, is that I was expecting the jem7vwh to be a perfect SNOW WHITE finish, when in fact, it is slightly more yellowed than that.

For instance, I noticed that the outer most white edge of the pickguard was a few shades lighter than the painted wood's white colour ie, the body seemed slightly yellowed compared to the outer most edge of the pickguard.

Didn't know if they forgot to put the clear coat on mine or something....
Rich cleared it up pretty well.

Any one else notice this about their jem?
MERCIFULFATE?
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

hey davester!

i dont have that problem! mine is white as a cloud!

do you mean a little yellowish?
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 06:14 PM

huh?

Yeah, I mean a bit more yellowish.
Put it this way, a brand new piece of computer paper straight out of the pack is a few shades lighter than my 7vwh....the guitar is slightly more yellowy.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

sorry man!lol

mine is as white as snow! but there is a line and some poly waves or imperfections!

it is not yellowy at all.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 12:21 AM

Rich says that each vwh is slightly different....ie 2cars never leave the lot looking exactly the same...
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 12:30 AM
Vendor

Actually I think I said there are about 100 shades of white, and why would you expect the white paint to exactly match the pickguard white, or the p/u white [where the humbuckers don't even match the single cover] or match the knobs or switch tip. How many shades of white is that?
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 03:07 AM
Banned

It IS an imperfection in the finish. It's a factory-built instrument, so I doubt that they would take the time to wet-sand the first clear coat and spray a second. It could be made from asphalt and a solid-color finish done right would look like a mirror. Wood grain?!? Rich, Please!! Have you ever sanded down an Ibanez body? There must be 2 or 3 coats of thick grain filler. There's no way anything on the body could make it through the first color coat. You shouldn't have to see any line or bumps or impurities; it's just a bad finish.

Also, they must not use quality paint because it shouldn't yellow at all. Ibanez doesn't know how to match shades.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 03:40 AM
Vendor

Puhlease, you obviously haven't seen enough guitars to see how common it is, it's NATURE.

And exactly which color white would you like the terrible matchers at Ibanez to match? The knobs? Pickups? Guard material? None of which are the same, or made by Ibanez.

Bottom line that's the color white STEVE chose, he makes those decisions, feel free to forward your complaints to vai.com.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 09:31 AM

I think I'm gonna have to go with rich on this one....dude's just too knowledgeable about this stuff to doubt what he's saying.

I see a grain in my guitar too...you have to look close, and no one else notices it, but its there.

As for the color, the guitar body is simply not as snow white as a peice of brand new computer paper, whereas the edge of the pickguard is that white and bright. In comparison, the guitar appears slightly more yellowed...not YELLOW, but a slightly yellow tinge to the white.

That said, the pickguard, selector knob, single/humbuckers, knobs, and body are all slightly different shades of white, just as rich said they should be.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 09:46 AM
Vendor

My printer paper is way greyer than a vwh, but if I ever spend more than $2 on a ream you'll know I'm printing out resume's for a real job
Closed Thread

Tags
alder body , alder strat , clear coat , guitar body , ibanez bass , ibanez dealer , ibanez guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode