Jem 7VWH mods - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2001, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Jem 7VWH mods

Hi folks,

Just bought a JEM 7VWH and although the guitar is incrediable there are two questions I have for the panel...

Firstly, what pickup mod would give me that classic Hendrix tone ? Ideally I'd like the screaming harmonic rich lead from the bridge pickup, the twang of positions 2 and 4, the omph of the neck pickup (position 5) and, like I said, the strat neck pickup tone. Are there any mods to tap the other coil on the neck pickup or if not, what pickup would suit do this without loosing the other tones ?

Secondly, *hate to say it and please don't flame me guys, the 7VWH is a little flashy looking for me (fx:ducks!). I bought the guitar because of the feel, versatility and the tone but as I don't intend to part with it (so not bothered about de-valuing it) am considering some cosmetic changes. Firstly, I'd like to swap the pickgaurd for a plain (white?) one, secondly I'd like the body and headstock stripped back down to a natural finish (a'la Steve's Neville). I'd have this done by a pro but wondered what type of finish the wood of the body underneath the existing finish is. I know I'd loose the logo but I can live with that.

Any constructive thoughts ?

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2001, 10:09 AM

Jem 7VWH mods

youd be better off just buying a replacement body and keeping/selling the original
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2001, 11:33 AM

Reviews: 5
Jem 7VWH mods

For the pickup mod, I'd advise you to install a coil-tap system. It works great with my SD JBs and I think it can make the Evos sound like a good Strat single-coil.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2001, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Jem 7VWH mods

The new body suggestion is an idea I'd not considered. How do you buy real Ibanez Jem replacement bodies ?

As for the coil tap - thats sounds exactly what I'm after. I don't know how possible it is but what I'd like to do is lose the middle pickup only selector position and have it wired so it taps the front part of the neck humbucker - technically, is this feasable ?

Cheers,
Tony.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2001, 06:51 PM

Reviews: 5
Jem 7VWH mods

Hey Tony! Here's what I've done:

I have 3 pickups here: neck JB, middle HotRails and bridge JB. As the HotRails have two coils also (but it's the size of a single-coil), when I engage the coil tap, I have 3 single-coils. It's technically viable!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2001, 01:20 AM

Jem 7VWH mods

Yo man, don't completly fase out the middle pickup. what you can do is make a coil tap push/pull pot and have it so when you tap the coils you put it in the middle (3) position and have it run the neck and bridge simotaniously.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2001, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Jem 7VWH mods

Would having the neck and bridge tapped together give that strat neck pickup tone ?

Thanks to all for the advice so far.

Tony
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2001, 09:39 PM

Jem 7VWH mods

Here's an idea, instead of stripping the body, how about just change the hardware to black or cosmo black? This would cut down on the flashy-ness while leaving the guitar completely intact..

I know if I could ever afford a 7vwh, that's the first thing I'd do to it.. That gold hardware is just glaring..

I find the bridge tapped + neck tapped(humbucking) a little too twangy to be like a strat neck tone.. It's perfect for clean, but sorta tele-like distorted.. Might work for you though..
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2001, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Jem 7VWH mods

I was thinking about chemically stripping the gold off all the hardware anyway taking it back to whatever finish it is underneath (hopefully straight chrome but if its a dull alloy type finish thats fine too). I kinda go for the beat up look :O)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2001, 01:45 PM

Jem 7VWH mods

Tony,

the body of the Jem 7vwh is alder (rich brown colour darker than neville) with a thin (1mm) cover of basswood on the front and back. This is to give a better paint finish as alder can render the job 'grainy'. In my opinion, you would have to get rid of the thin basswood veneers

cheers
col

PS my gold came off just by playing ! and under it was a nice shiny chrome
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Jem 7VWH mods

Hi aerocol, thanks for the reply. I experimented on an old strat and it was easy to strip the finish of the body ... is the headstock likely to be the same wood underneath ?

I've thought about stripping the gold hardware and carefully applying paintstripper to remove the gold finish .. the problem with letting nature take its course is that there are parts that aren't likely to wear out.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 01:23 PM

Jem 7VWH mods

Sorry if my reply isnt as forgiving as everyone elses...but I think you bought the wrong guitar...acheiving strat tones and manipulating the cosmetics are major mods when it comes to a Jem. *While the Jem does a decent job of emulating strat tones, and with a couple of suggestions above it could go even farther, the essence of a Jem is not strat-like at all. *Not in looks, tone, or feel. *If you must, sell the guitar and get a real deal strat.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 10:26 PM

Jem 7VWH mods

The way you get the "other" coil of the pickup is by using a switch to connect the coil connect wire from the pickups to "hot" instead of ground. There are many ways to do this on a Jem but I think you want that coil when the neck pickup is on alone. That narrows your options a bit. You would have to use a push/pull pot, and connect the hot lead from the pickup through there (both to the push/pull and the 5-way switch) and then attatch the coil connect wire to the pole under it, so they get jumped when you pull the pot. The only problem there is that when you have it pulled, you will lose your 2 and 4 positions. They will be dead because you will be looping hot to ground through the switch. To avoid that, you can disconnect the coil cut leads from the 5-way, thus killing off the automatic 2 and 4 coil cuts. If you do that, you will not cancel hum, even if your coil cut switch is pulled up. If you were just doing the neck pickup you'd be fine, because you would use one side of the switch to tap the pickup, and the other side to disengage the coil cut lead from the 5-way. Thus making your push/pull a "coil reverser/coil cut" This would leave the bridge pickup alone, though. As far as the look, wait awhile and it might grow on you.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

Jem 7VWH mods

Hi warmregards,

I've already got a strat (amongst others). I bought the Jem because of the body styling, the trem, the neck, the the overall feel of the package. Wanting to change the cosmetics of the guitar and making a pickup mod doesn't mean I've bought the wrong guitar .. just means that I want to perfect if for my personal playing style. If I was famous enough I'd get Ibanez to make me one :O)
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

Jem 7VWH mods

Hi frankfalbo,

Thanks for the informative reply .. so, by the sounds of it the mod is feasable via a push/pull tap mod but I'd be restricted with my pickup selections when tapped. Am I right in thinking then with it untapped all the existing tones/positions would remain intact?

Tony

Tags
bridge pickup , coil tap , ibanez jem , neck humbucker , neck pickup , neck pickup tone , pickup cover , pickup selection , strat tone , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode