Jem 7VWH versus Jem 7VBSL?? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Jem 7VWH versus Jem 7VBSL??

Okay, I am finally ready to buy another Jem. I have the DBK, and love it, but I am now looking at the VWH or the VBSL. I think from reading a lot of posts on jemsite that they seem to be pretty much identical (other than the obvious), but when I play both, they sound very different. I love the Blue sparkle finish and weathered harware on the VBSL, and love the ebony fingerboard on the VWH. Can anyone shed some light on any other difference between the guitars, and give me your opinions on which to buy?? It is a toss up for me right now, so I am looking to you for the final decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 11:03 AM

VSBL!

I just got home with my brand new VSBL...just now... and i will say this...if your gonna get another jem, get this one! Although, the 7VWH is much the same thing to be honest, and personally i prefer the rosewood board (makes me feel more at home, since up until now ive been playing an FP and a UV777BK) The sound does seem to differ between the too, and i guess my advice is go for whichever tone you prefer, or just get the blue one...cause well, its blue! (and its sparkly )

Rob
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 11:29 AM

for the money, i'd go with the vwh - better value.

Before you buy etiher though, try out the new neck-thru RG3120.
They're HOT...and Ibanez doesn't have to shell out $$ to SSV for the sale of one, making the price somewhat lower for a superior quality instrument.

~K
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 11:53 AM

I got a VWH in trade just because I wanted to see what all the hoopla
was about. Everyone seemed to have one or be getting one, and honestly,
to me it looked really tacky with all that gold hardware.

Anywho, Ebony fretboard is really what won me over! I'm definitly keeping
the guitar, but I'm going to be changing all the gold hardware over to
silver hardware!

I just can't stand that ghetto sparkly blue on the other jem. All it needs
is my gold hardware and you could call it "The Blue Pimp"
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 03:32 PM

This is one thing that ticks me about ibanez. Why cant we get neck wood options when we buy our 2000 dollar guitar? Bascially if you could get a vwh with a rosewood board? Wouldnt that be sweet? Or a vwh with chrome or powder coat hardware? LIKE EVO IS. lol
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 11:57 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello;
I tried the two of them and I don't know why but I'm keep on thinking that the white one is still the number one... May be it's because i'm used to see Steve Vai with his "evo" guitar.
Both of them are really great guitars but, if I was you, (and I'm not...) I'll buy the "vwh" and it's cheaper...

At last, if you see both of them in a shop, play it and take the one that sounds the better...

I hope it may help you!

JS
Ps : It's good to think : "what guitar should I take, this one or this one...????" Lucky you!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 01:37 PM

My hands-on report (VSBL) exists on this site if you'd like to check it out. I've had mine for just over three months now and I love it. I

agree that, monetarily speaking, the VWH appears to be a better value. No one here seems to really be 100% why a the guitar with an ebony fingerboard, abalone (partially) inlay, gold hardware, and a pearloid pickguard would be less expensive than another guitar whose almost exactly the same except for those items. My guess is MAYBE the finishing method and antiquing of the hardware actually added more costs to the production of this model and Ibanez (again-this is a guess) probably wanted to maintain the same profit margin. I don't believe we have a definitive answer to that dilemma which has perplexed many of us.

I really enjoy my VSBL. I'm more accustomed to rosewood so I'm probably very slightly in favor of that one compared to the VWH. So slightly that I mean it's like a 50.5/49.5 split.

Mike 777 Haug
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 06:08 PM

better value...

Also...its only better value as far as 'List price' goes. No shops in the UK that i have been to sell the VSBL for more than the VWH, and i managed to pick up a brand new jem7VSBL for 1000 anyways...which is pretty amazing value, though i could have got a 7V for the same price, so i dont see value comming into it at all, its not like your gonna pay the list price on either of these guitars.

Rob
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 07:42 AM

Hello rob;
I COULDN'T BELIEVE WHAT YOU SAY ... How do you manage to have a jem7 for 1000???? Where was it? In London? You did have a great deal...

Tell us (I mean for the people who are living in the uk) everything about it...

Anyway, wathever jem you buy, it's just a good thing!

JS
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 11:57 AM

hehe, i know!

was a great deal wasnt it!! Well, this guy bought one off Rich (good ol' ibanez rules) and then when he got it, just decided it wasnt his thing at all, and wanted a custom built guitar instead, so he sold it to me for 1000, and i can tell you, its in better condition than all of the in store guitars ive played, and it has a full ibanez lined flight case to boot, not one of those annoying plastic pods that they gave me with my UV777BK!! Its an incredible guitar, and since i have electric blue hair, i love the colour too!! Although im thinking my hair might go for a two tone black and purple look soon... which will require a purple RGT3210 to match im sure!!!

Rob

(also , you can get a new unplayed 7V in the UK for 1500 by going to, www.guitarstrings.co.uk they may have a limited selection, but they have the best prices!)
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 01:34 PM

Yes !!! Thank you!
So a "cheap" new jem 7 does exist in England. 1490$, that's the price I pay for my fp after hours and hours of trading!!!

Let's check what I write on a new post...
JS...
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 01:37 PM
Vendor

The would be 1500 Pounds I'm sure

BTW, the VSBL you bought was dead mint, that was a good deal!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 01:39 PM

Of course 1500 and not 1500$
Sorry!
JS
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
BTW, the VSBL you bought was dead mint, that was a good deal!
Hey Rich, it wasn't quite as mint as when I received it...I took the plastic off the pickguard

The VSBL is indeed a beautiful guitar...I just wish I liked playing it more. Maybe one day if I have money to burn I'll buy one again, just to look at

Glad you're enjoying the guitar Rob!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Well I did it, I bought the VSBL. WOW!!!! What a guitar. I can't beleive how different a guitar sounds when you actually own it.......

Thanks everyone for your input.

Tags
beautiful guitar , ebony fingerboard , ebony fretboard , pearloid pickguard , rosewood board , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode