jem 7vwh vs. jem 7dbk - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

jem 7vwh vs. jem 7dbk

Alright here are the three guitars I'm looking at:
Jem 7vwh
jem 7dbk
js 1000

How do these guitar compair in quality? Is the the jem 7dbk as good as the 7vwh? the 7vwh is only a little bit more.. why? How does the js100 compair to thses two? Are there better jems then the ones listed?

For the neck: I shred but I also do a lot of bending what guitar will be best for this? I hear the neck on the js isn't as thin but this may be a good thing. Is the js neck as big as a strat or is it just shaped like it, but thinner? What necks are on the jem vwh and dbk? Would one of those be better for what I described? Does the dbk have the wizard neck on it? If so i think that may be way too thin. If it does would the rg3120 be just as good as it in quality because it is certanily cheaper.

I am leaning towards the js1000 right now unless it isn't as good of quality and it isn't very good for shredding... I want the fatter neck then the jem I think just not as big as an explorer or start.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 12:15 AM

The 7D has a JEM neck which is slightly thicker than the Wizard neck but it is still super thin. I played a strat the other day and it felt like I had a telephone pole in my hand.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8r g8r
The 7D has a JEM neck which is slightly thicker than the Wizard neck but it is still super thin. I played a strat the other day and it felt like I had a telephone pole in my hand.
well how thin are the js necks? And if I go with a super thin neck like the jem is the rg3120 just as good? The js has better looks to me and the compound radius seems a lot better becuase it is nicer for bending, but is the neck thin or is it like a strat? And is it good for shredding
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 12:41 AM

Quote:
????

the neck on my 7d is THINNER than the wizard on my rg 570, especially down by the 12th fret
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman219
Quote:
????

the neck on my 7d is THINNER than the wizard on my rg 570, especially down by the 12th fret
WOW! Well how is the js neck? Is it like a strat or thinner? A little fatter then the jem... what? How about quality? Anyone?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 01:20 AM
Vendor

The JS has the same thickness measurements as the VWH, the width is smaller, the profile is completely different.

Jem - 43mm - U shape profile - 430mm radius fretboard
JS - 42mm -C shape -250mm-? in the multiradius

Instead of starting upteen threads about the differences in all these try to go out and play each, they're very different animals
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
The JS has the same thickness measurements as the VWH, the width is smaller, the profile is completely different.

Jem - 43mm - U shape profile - 430mm radius fretboard
JS - 42mm -C shape -250mm-? in the multiradius

Instead of starting upteen threads about the differences in all these try to go out and play each, they're very different animals
that's the problem I know of no shops that have these guitars.. It is sad, ut arizona sucks. If anyone knows please tell me... anyways How does the rg3120 compair to the jems... i'm thinking a thin neck may be good for a change... is it still ok for chords and bends.. mostly bends? And is the js neck a little or a lot thinner then a strat neck? thanks rich.. Sorry I'm not trying to get out of tryin them just I don't know of any places to go to. If anyone does PLEASE tell me.. thank you!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 06:02 AM

get a jem7bsb
period
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam669
get a jem7bsb
period
how come?
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 05:15 PM
Banned

OK. A high-end RG is basically the same thing as a JEM, just a bit plainer (is that a word?) looking. The JEM neck should be thin enough for anybody, if it's not, then you've got a problem on your hands (no pun intended). Yes, a JS neck is good for shredding. Just listen to one of Joe's albums for proof. That said, it may not be what you're looking for. I've never had the chance to play a JS, but from what I hear, the fingerboards aren't very flat, so if you don't like radiused boards, I'd stay away from the JS series. The JEMs, on the other hand, are extremely flat, which is what most people think of when they hear the word shred. As far as the strat comparisons, you will never, EVER find a strat with a neck remotely as thin or as comfortable as an Ibanez. I find Ibanez necks to be faster not only because of their better dimensions, but the coatings on the Fender necks seems thicker and more plastic-y to me. Remember, when someone tells you that JS necks are thick, that means that they are thick for an Ibanez.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Grindfiend
OK. A high-end RG is basically the same thing as a JEM, just a bit plainer (is that a word?) looking. The JEM neck should be thin enough for anybody, if it's not, then you've got a problem on your hands (no pun intended). Yes, a JS neck is good for shredding. Just listen to one of Joe's albums for proof. That said, it may not be what you're looking for. I've never had the chance to play a JS, but from what I hear, the fingerboards aren't very flat, so if you don't like radiused boards, I'd stay away from the JS series. The JEMs, on the other hand, are extremely flat, which is what most people think of when they hear the word shred. As far as the strat comparisons, you will never, EVER find a strat with a neck remotely as thin or as comfortable as an Ibanez. I find Ibanez necks to be faster not only because of their better dimensions, but the coatings on the Fender necks seems thicker and more plastic-y to me. Remember, when someone tells you that JS necks are thick, that means that they are thick for an Ibanez.
Well wouldn't the radiused fretboard be better for bending and chords? So it would be better all around and still good for shredding? Or would the JEM neck be fine? Also is the wizard neck on the rg3120 which is cheaper then the jems about the same as a JEM neck? I really like how the JS guitars are more just I want to be comfortable with the neck. I think the JEm necks may be too thin. So you think the js neck can do the job for shredding and bending stuff?

Last I may want to change the fred pup.. not sure.. but would an evolution or a breed be better. And does the js have good sustain?
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 04:01 AM

i'd go for a jem neck myself over a js neck just because of the 24 frets. not really because of the two added notes, but rather because of the slightly better reach.
if you go for a jem7d, you'll find yourself holding almost a ruler. i dont like it myself! the neck on the bsb is nicer to me, and you gotta love its green finish!
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 09:42 AM

Wait, wait, wait guys!!! it seems to me there is a mistake in your words:

"l8r g8r wrote:
The 7D has a JEM neck which is slightly thicker than the Wizard neck but it is still super thin. I played a strat the other day and it felt like I had a telephone pole in my hand."

7DBK doesn't have JEM neck. It is Super Wizard! Super Wizard is thinner than JEM neck.

6StringGod:
Look at the specs on the Jemsite - you will see the difference between all guitars you mentioned above.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 11:37 AM
Banned

If you really like the JS series, then you might just go with that, and if, in the worst case scenario, you hate the feel of the neck, you can have one custom made to your liking. I have a hunch that the radiused board is really just something you have to get used to, and not a major hindrance, even if you're used to playing on flat boards. Plus, who knows, you might like it better. One thing you might keep in mind about the 22 fret neck, however, is the difference it causes in the neck pickup's sound. A 22 fret neck will position the neck pup right under a harmonic node, and that will kind of muddy up your sound. However, on a 24 fret neck, the neck pup must be moved toward the bridge a bit because of the increased length of the fretboard. This gets it out from under the node, and will give you a more focused, clearer tone. However, some people like the sound of 22 frets better. My recommendation would be to try out some different 22 fret and 24 fret guitars and decide which sound you like better.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 11:41 AM

[quote="The_Grindfiend"]A 22 fret neck will position the neck pup right under a harmonic node, and that will kind of muddy up your sound./quote]

or warm it up
you cant get that steve morse fat and warm humbucking tone on a 24 fret axe oh no... but then again there is that question of reach...
get both!

Tags
access neck joint , fret guitar , fret guitars , fret neck , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , jem neck , jem vwh , neck joint , neck pickup , neck pup , neck thru , steve morse , super wizard neck , upper fret , upper frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode