Jem 7VWH...What is right, and what is wrong?? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Red face Jem 7VWH...What is right, and what is wrong??

I have finally got my Jem7VWH and am sooooooo pleased with it!!!

It plays like nothing I have played before and I have no tuning, intonation issues whatsoever!!
The only thing is on looking at my Trem, I realised that it IS NOT parallel with the body and is leaning forward quite a bit...Is this wrong as it plays wonderful?? If not how do I fix it?? why should I fix it if I have no probs??

Also can someone tell me the correct height that my pickups should be??
My neck humbucker is nearly flush with the body, my middle and bridge Pickups are quite High!!!!

I have tried to post pics but it said I am exceeding the File size Limit??
Can someone suffest an easier way to post my pics??

MANY THANKS [email protected]@!!
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 06:39 PM

Reviews: 5
Re: Jem 7VWH...What is right, and what is wrong??

Generally, you want the base of the trem to be parallel with the body- so you have plenty of room to pull up and down on the tremelo bar. I doubt that having it improperly set up will damage the bridge though.

Pickup height is a totally subject thing. The farther away from the strings they are, the weaker you will perceive your signal to be. Beware that raising the pickups too close to the strings will hinder your ability to sustain a note since the magnets in the pickups will tend to pull the string to them. Just play with them until you're happy.

For what it's worth, Vai's humbuckers are 4 or 5/16 of an inch from the strings, while the single coil is lowered flush with the pickguard.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 06:43 PM

Does your guitar have a Lo-Pro or an Edge-Pro bridge? If it's a Lo-Pro then don't worry about it being parallel with the body. If it's an Edge-Pro and it plays well, then i still wouldn't worry about it really :S
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice guys, my guitar has an edge pro on it, and kinda like I said that I am not really seeing any major faults with anything so wasnt sure whether to try and change it or not?

On the other hand, I know onthe tech page on this site and also Rich from Ibanez rules suggest to get it right from the start and to have it parallel??

Not sure what is best for jem??

Will the performance from my edge pro get even better if i adjust it to parallel??

Thanks alot!!!!
Rob
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 08:26 PM

If your trem is forward quite a bit (as you suggest), you are limiting your dive capability if nothing else. Adjusting the position is a simple task. You just need to tighten the two adjusting screws in the spring cavity and retune. You may have to repeat this a couple times until you get it just right, but it only takes a few minutes, so why not get it right? Whatever you prefer. You can also add another spring, but that is probably too much and should not be necessary.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 09:13 PM

If you are exceeding the size limit, you´re probably trying to post attachments.

Try http://www.albumtown.com

You can post 50MB of pics there for free.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Re: Jem 7VWH...What is right, and what is wrong??

Thanks Dudes!!!
I took the courage to fix it myself and adjust the Screws behind the backplate and after about 15 minutes of retuning it is perfectly intune with the Edge pro sitting nice and parallel!!!

I have one more problem though..... I have ever so slight fret buzz on the low E string from frets 4 til about 15, it doesnt occur on any other stings apart from this one... The action is not very low either so wondering how can I remedy it??

Thanks again?
Rob

Tags
bridge pickup , bridge pickups , fret buzz , neck humbucker , pickup height , spring cavity

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode