JEM Acoustic: does "made-in-Korea" effect purchase - Page 3 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

View Poll Results: If a JEM Acoustic/Electric guitar is not made in Japan, does it effect your final purchasing plans?
No. It has no effect on my decision making to purchase. 70 22.44%
Maybe. It would effect my evaluation process & perhaps purchase plans 106 33.97%
Yes. I would not purchase an Ibanez Signature guitar made in Korea/China/etc. 136 43.59%
Voters: 312. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 04:05 AM

I voted yes, this would deter my purchase being made in China and or Korea. There has been an ever continuing global trend where price becomes the sole factor and consequently EVERY thing is being outsourced to 3rd world countries for reasons of cost. There are exceptions of course but generally speaking the lowered cost is directly proportional to lower quality and harm to the immediate environment in these areas. A chain reaction is set off where higher quality businesses and services loose market share and either declare bankruptcy or move overseas selling lower quality items at the same low prices as their competitors. Eventually the consumer no longer has an option to pay more for the higher quality item and is forced to choose between a wide variety of low-grade merchandise. Consumers only have one voice and that is to speak with their hard earned dollar. I would like my dollar to speak to the corporations that I am still interested in preserving the option to be able to choose the higher quality item if I so desire it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
Excuse me, but what "argument"?
I've seen the guitar only on pictures. Not in real life, never touched it, never had a change to really look at it.
For me, to say it would affect my desicion, just because it's korean and without actually knowing the guitar is the same as ed r*man saying, so & so guitar is not made in the US thus there must be something with it.

Quote:
Please answer the poll below asking if your purchasing plans are effected by where a guitar is made
You're not asking about dough or quality. Just place of production. My answer is no.

Things that do matter are:
Does it sound good? Does it feel good? Does it look good? Is it an acceptable price for the product? Do I need it? Do I want it?
post #33 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 10:40 AM

maybe.

I have very particular things I need/like in an instrument. *whoever* can do that for me get's invited for a nice dinner at my place, and has earned my loyalty.
post #34 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroenn
Quote:
Please answer the poll below asking if your purchasing plans are effected by where a guitar is made
You're not asking about dough or quality. Just place of production. My answer is no.
You really missed the point.

Actually there is ABSOLUTELY quality and price issues with shifting a signature gutiar from Japan (where they were made since 1987) to Korea (with the 555 and now in 2004 for the EP7).

The poll did NOT ask "if quality and price was equal to a MIJ Ibanez, would you or not buy a Korean-made guitar"?

If quality differences, perceived or real, were not a concern, this poll would not be an issue. Finally, the roman references are inappropriate...glen
post #35 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 10:54 AM

My vote is "maybe" also, After I play it first myself then I can give a more definative answer. But you guys above give good reasons on both sides...
post #36 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 11:50 AM

my view went from "gotta have it" to "wouldnt touch it with a ten foot pole" when finding out it was made in korea. I am putting all political and social views aside as they have no bearing on the question asked. I have owned several MIK instruments and my opinion is that the quality is worlds below anything produced in japan or the states. I've never had a MIK guitar that didnt have some issue with fretwork or finish blems. Does ibanez not have the capability to make the guitar in japan or was this an attempt to keep the price down?
post #37 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 11:55 AM

I personally feel that if I like a guitar, it sounds good and looks to be of a good build i dont care where it came from/was made. If its a good guitar, its a good guitar. Period.
post #38 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 12:02 PM

My answer is "No", what would effect my decision whether to buy or not to buy a guitar would be playing it first and really looking it over and deciding whether or not I like the feel, sound, look, etc. of it.
post #39 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 02:43 PM

Reviews: 3
I also voted No, for many of the same reasons as stated earlier.
I remember when we as guitar players had the exact same debate when Fender started producing guitars in Japan many years ago. I also remember when the "modern" Ibanez guitars were released, many people wouldn't even look at them because they were made in Japan.
Now we've come full circle. Japan OK, Korea not. Korea is now what Japan was years ago. Next we'll be having the debate on whether or not a guitar made is Korea is better then a guitar made in Sudan!
My rule of thumb is this: I try a guitar, check it out, and if I like it then, maybe see where it's made. It seems to work for me.
Josh
post #40 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
Actually there is ABSOLUTELY quality and price issues with shifting a signature gutiar from Japan (where they were made since 1987) to Korea (with the 555 and now in 2004 for the EP7).
I'm not aware with any quality issues on the EP7. I haven't touched one. So I can't see. I won't assume. Therefore the only answer I can give you right now is No. For me, quality issues does not equal country of origin.

Quote:
Finally, the roman references are inappropriate.
Well, you know..monkey see, monkey do.
post #41 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 01:52 PM

I voted "maybe".

I've played some very nice Ibanez acoustics in the past. The AW100 was my favorite entry to mid-level instrument to recommend to customers in that market while I was in retail.

Anyway if I was shopping for this sort of thing and the EP7 (or any other possible "JEM acoustic) really blew me away, I'd probably go for it. If there was a Japanese sibling, there would be something to compare it to. More than likely, I'd like it better. Who knows, really?

Mike 777 Haug
post #42 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 08:49 AM

Voted 'maybe'.

Since I have no experience with MIK guitars, I don't trust them being as good as MIJ. I know this is not likely to be a matter of fact, after all Ibanez rely on their reputation, and their reputation is partly the one they get from MIK guitars.

I would give it a try, but wouldn't buy untried.

Euph
post #43 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 10:28 AM

I voted maybe, but have some strong reservations since my 1st Indonesian guitar has already been returned to Ibanez for warranty repair on the BADLY back-bowed neck. I purchased a JTK-1 and went in to have it dialed in and set up, when my tech said, "look at this", I about fell over as I hadn't noticed it previously. A fair amount of twist and major back bow. I hadn't played her in a while and he was amazed tha a new guitar would come that badly set up. I'm amazed that it was playable initially.

QC seems to be an issue for these places, and until that changes I will be skeptical of any product outside the Japanese plants.

BTW, this is not a slam on any nation's ability to work, but more their management abilities and the quality product. I speak from experience and not bias or prejuduce.

I can't believe I need to type a flippin' disclaimer at the bottom of my post... yeesh.

Bamm
post #44 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 11:07 AM

Disclamiers, Heh heh, The way of the world now-a-days dude, But i know exactly what ya mean

Rob

"disclaimer, The way of the world by no means signifies any affiliation with the "world" or a "world" its just figurative speech"
post #45 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 03:25 PM

I feel the disclaimer below Glen's poll is aimed at my ed roman references. I'll again try to elaborate:

Here is my take on this. Most people regard Romans statemens on US vs Japanese guitars as racistic. I'm not sure if it truly fits that definition, or if it's even motivated by that, but that's not the point. My point of calling it a "roman' argument is that it would be based on assumptions. That Romans assumptions per definition be wrong (and occasional rastistic) isn't to the point, the point simply is that assumptions are the mother of all **** ups. I'm not impliyng that Glens poll is related to nationalism or any of that crap. I'm implying that if I were to take in account that the EP7 is Korean before actually having that thing in my hands, I'm setting my self up for disappointment.
- Korean QC is not the same as Japanese for electric guitars. I know that.
- IIRC, all Ibz accoustics are from Korea
- I wouldn't know a bad accoustic from a good one, because I don't have any good knowledge on accoustic guitars. So it's just about look, feel and sound for me, which is essentially all that matters, right? I allready think it looks cool, so I'm eager to find out how it feels and sounds.
- For me, it's a total diffrent product. Would you care about it if your next Ibanez effects pedal were Korean of Japanese made? Or your next pack of strings?
I would like to testdrive an EP7 unbiased. Not giving them the benefit of doubt, but having no doubt at all. If there is reason to doubt, it will show when I have the damn thing in my hands.

That's what I ment with a roman argument, because that is the way he presents himself. Yes, he does throw in a few racistic remarks, but it's his shallow way of reasoning that stands out more than the racism crap. I don't think "racist" when I hear the name "roman". I just think "dumb f&ck".

It's all relative. Glen often calls the 555 a piece of stuff, while at somepoint somewhere on this site it stated that the 555 actually was above average if you were to compare it to a great range of guitars. It is just that Ibanez has better bangs for your bucks as far as the 555 is concerned, and that is also true. So compared to Ibanez products, the 555 sucks. As a guitar in general, the 555 is way ok. Ibanez korean guitars may have QC problems compared to Japanese Ibz, but compared to say Vantage or those fake chinese "jem-a-like" contraptions, they may be actually quite allright. If you are blessed with high-end Ibz guitars, most other axes will end up beeing substandard, because you tend to compare with what you have. And that is not really objective, because Jems just kick ass. I mean, Glen considered the VSBL a marketing missfit, while at some point you could buy the thing for 999 dollars and have a slaming axe for a very good price. We're just spoiled. We can happily argue over Rosewood vs Ebony on the VWH. We're *that* ff'ing spoiled.
Put it a bit in perspective. I'm confident that the EP7 is a good instrument. So far I've seen mostly great reviews of the thing.

So, stop your disclaimers. They're not needed. That goes for you too, Glen..

Tags
darren wilson , dean evo , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , electric guitar , fixed bridge , flame maple , flame maple neck , guitar players , high frets , ibanez acoustic , ibanez bass , ibanez dealer , ibanez guitars , ibanez models , jem neck , korean guitar , les paul , maple neck , michael kelly , mike mushok , neck shape , prestige guitar , prestige guitars , signature guitar , steve vai , string signature

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode