JEM Acoustic: does "made-in-Korea" effect purchase - Page 7 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

View Poll Results: If a JEM Acoustic/Electric guitar is not made in Japan, does it effect your final purchasing plans?
No. It has no effect on my decision making to purchase. 70 22.44%
Maybe. It would effect my evaluation process & perhaps purchase plans 106 33.97%
Yes. I would not purchase an Ibanez Signature guitar made in Korea/China/etc. 136 43.59%
Voters: 312. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 117 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 10:33 AM

I agree with everyone who said country doesn't mean much any more, I work on hundreds of guitars every week, so many different brands, I just purchased a korean made Conklin 7 string signature series Bass, it is outstanding! I have a Korean Ibanez RG at my bench that has one of the sweetest necks and killer tone to it, Im a Jem/UV player, yet i have found closing the mind being so dogmatic can miss a great instrument experience.

Ibanez has excellent Korean stuff, I went through about a hundred of them a few weeks back, and they are nice, and at such a great price. Drop some pickups in and there is a great Hot Rod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 117 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 11:10 PM
rgr

I agree that there are some nice guitars coming out of Korea now, but considering that the EP-7 is a Korean made acoustic, and probably doesn't have any solid woods on the top, back or sides, there are lots of better choices for the money.

And before you ask, here is a list:

www.breedloveguitars.com, check out the Atlas series, better woods and electronics, solid tops and backs, and better price.

www.deanguitars.com, the Exotica series play and sound great, and look as good or better for 1/2 the price.

www.mguitar.com, the DC and DX series, most if not all have solid tops at least, and all are less than the EP-7.

www.wechterguitars.com, the Pathmaker 3000 series are a great deal and have one of the best out of the box electronics packages for the money, and if you want access to the high frets, it doesn't get any better.

www.ovationguitars.com, lots of choices for less than the EP-7 including some made in the USA (1861 Balladeer).

I'm not trying to 'dis Ibanez, I love their guitars, but a made the EP-7 is priced too high for a made in Korea acoustic-electric, especially with some of the flaws I've read about from owners. Of course, it is a sig' model so some of the price reflects Steve's cut too (I'm not dissing Steve either, just stating facts). Personallly, I'd take the Ovation Balladeer, Breedlove Atlas, or Wechter Pathmaker over this guitar anyday, way more bang for the buck.

So, yes I voted no.

Roger
post #93 of 117 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr
So, yes I voted no.
Roger
Good points, but you voted...
"No. It has no effect on my decision making to purchase."

That discussion is best suited for an alternate poll like "is the EP7 a good value relative to other similarly priced acoustic/electric guitars" ...glen
post #94 of 117 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 11:53 PM

Reviews: 3
I have yet to see a quality instrument (guitar or bass) come out of Korea. I don't normally look at the back of the headstock for the "made in" stamp before I play, but if I know in advance I am less likely to pick the instrument up. So I suppose *if* I were in the market for a JEM acoustic and went into it knowing it was made in Korea, it wouldn't stop me from buying. However, the fact that it will be of poor quality due to the fact that it's MIK DOES affect my choice. I've also yet to see a worthwhile acoustic come from Ibanez at any price level.
post #95 of 117 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 08:39 PM
rgr

Doh, you're right Glen, I had read the thread earlier, guess I jumped the gun. I demand a recount It was the chad, I swear!

I wasn't trying to hijack the thread with the links, I actually meant to use them to show WHY I wouldn't buy an EP7 for it's selling price.

-R
post #96 of 117 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 05:01 PM

Re: JEM Acoustic: does "made-in-Korea" effect purchase

not really.....doesnt matter where its made ot me...just how it feels and plays...and how it makes me feel!
post #97 of 117 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 09:49 PM

I finally played one and although I am probably in the minority
What a piece of (IMHO) junk.
I can't believe Ibanez wants $1,400 for that thing
The bosses at Ibanez must have some custom made jeans in which to fit their obviously large testicles.
post #98 of 117 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 09:51 PM

as long it has a good tone, feel and quaitly then i would get it.
post #99 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 07:41 PM

I wouldn't order one before playing one but then I wouldn't do that with any guitar.
post #100 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 10:25 PM

as has been said, korea is kinda the new japan. and china is fast becoming the new korea. etc.

based on how impressed i've been with my korean RGT42FM, i'd definitely include the EP7 in my short list for my next acoustic. not because i necessarily think it'd be a great guitar, but because of the Vai connection (however tenuous that might in fact be). plus it looks pretty.
post #101 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 10:06 AM

Smile Re: JEM Acoustic: does "made-in-Korea" effect purchase

maybe.
post #102 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 10:56 AM

I dont care where it's made, as long as it's good.

However my next acoustic is likely to be a Gibson J200 - those things are so full toned and nice sounding (or a Guild F50, preferably from the early 80s era. My father has one and I like it better then any J200 I have played!)
post #103 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 02:34 PM

Reviews: 6

I've played the guitar and it's a great guitar. Lovely tone and playability. I would happily purchase this guitar had I the cash.
post #104 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 03:11 PM

Well First of all,, China and Korea are not comparable at all: korea offers really awesome guitars, flawless construction and i think it's nearly as good as a japanese one and will only get better. the only difference is the attention paid to the finish maybe but potentially they can produce really good stuff i think. Now the price should be lower or else it's no use building it in korea.
post #105 of 117 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 01:39 PM

Is $800 a good price for the EP7 new???

Tags
darren wilson , dean evo , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , electric guitar , fixed bridge , flame maple , flame maple neck , guitar players , high frets , ibanez acoustic , ibanez bass , ibanez dealer , ibanez guitars , ibanez models , jem neck , korean guitar , les paul , maple neck , michael kelly , mike mushok , neck shape , prestige guitar , prestige guitars , signature guitar , steve vai , string signature

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode