Ibanez JEM Forum banner

If a JEM Acoustic/Electric guitar is not made in Japan, does it effect your final purchasing plans?

23K views 116 replies 72 participants last post by  Drow Swordsman 
#1 · (Edited)
There has been alot of discussion on the issue of Korean made Ibanez guitars (and signature models) with the 555, other Ibanez guitars and certainly this will continue with the new EP7 "Acoustic JEM" being produced in Korea (not Japan like the JEMs & Prestige guitars).

Please answer the poll below asking if your purchasing plans are effected by where a guitar is made.

PS - this poll has nothing to do with "nationalism" or culture or either country. It has STRICTLY to do with the differences of output quality of guitars that are produced at each factory. It also takes into account the Korean made Ibanez guitars are made typically by Cort, who makes many other "brand guitars" to Ibanez specs.

#102 ·
I dont care where it's made, as long as it's good.

However my next acoustic is likely to be a Gibson J200 - those things are so full toned and nice sounding :) (or a Guild F50, preferably from the early 80s era. My father has one and I like it better then any J200 I have played!)

#104 ·
Well First of all,, China and Korea are not comparable at all: korea offers really awesome guitars, flawless construction and i think it's nearly as good as a japanese one and will only get better. the only difference is the attention paid to the finish maybe but potentially they can produce really good stuff i think. Now the price should be lower or else it's no use building it in korea.

#106 ·
I wouldn't buy any Ibanez made in Korea. No offence intended to any Korean or Chinese people, you're all wonderful, but "Made In Korea" just doesn't sound right to me, it doesn't inspire confidence. So it's a definate "no" from me. I'd buy a second-hand 80's Japanese model over a brand new Korean / Chinese model.

#108 ·
I think that most of the "opinions" here are just that. The playability and tone of a guitar are very important. BUT, when it comes down to it ..... I've been at clubs ... watching older gentlemen shredding all over the neck ... sounding unbelieveable, so i had to get closer to see what they were playing .... it was a "Kay" guitar. To me, it's a piece of crap guitar .... maybe it's something different to him.

All i know ... is that with me there's a "mojo" effect. when i pick up my Les Paul .. i do play better .... but i also know that it's just in my head.

that's my .02

Jeremy

#109 ·
I have a Cort guitar made in the Ibanez factory from Korea for a gig guitar. I bought it for $350 and it is really a great guitar. One piece, thin line electric, has a nice finish (satin) and a great neck (nice feel, little no fret dressing needed after purchase....I had to dress BOTH new JEMS that I bought). I had to replace the pickups but I have had to so that with all the guitars I have ever bought except the Jems and my Les Paul (I kind of like the gibson stock pickups in a les paul anyway).

When all was said and done it turned out to be a great little guitar. I don't even use it for what I bought it for (to use at club gigs) because I don't want to ding it up. IMHO the workmanship on the neck and body are as good (depending on the brand) sometimes better than some of the Japanese models I have seen. Actually, it has become one of my favorite guitars and everyone who has seen it likes it. Some one tell me how to load the pictures and I will show it to you

#112 ·
I have turned down an Ibanez for not being Japanese made. I wanted an Ibanez bass, so I waited for a Japanese made in the 90's bass. I wanted a 7 string, but as it was not a Japanese made, I said, sorry, not my thing.

Would I pay over £700 for a Korean made guitar? Absolutely not.

#113 ·
I just can't say my rg 7321 has no difference in sound with a jap made rg. I know about the pick ups, but the only thing that really makes a difference is the finish. other than that it's your fault if your guitar dooesn t sound good.
a good guitarist plays anything and still sound OK. (ok, I know, there are exceptions, but you know what i mean)

#117 ·
I don't care where it's made if the price is right.

If a jem made in Korea sounded as good as a jem made in japan, I'd also expect the price to be slighly lower, because the guitar was probably less expensive to make there. Regardless of the quality, if the guitar was less expensive to produce, I'd expect it to have a price less than that of a guitar (even of the same quality) that cost more to produce.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.