JEM Acoustic: does "made-in-Korea" effect purchase - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

View Poll Results: If a JEM Acoustic/Electric guitar is not made in Japan, does it effect your final purchasing plans?
No. It has no effect on my decision making to purchase. 70 22.44%
Maybe. It would effect my evaluation process & perhaps purchase plans 106 33.97%
Yes. I would not purchase an Ibanez Signature guitar made in Korea/China/etc. 136 43.59%
Voters: 312. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
JEM Acoustic: does "made-in-Korea" effect purchase

There has been alot of discussion on the issue of Korean made Ibanez guitars (and signature models) with the 555, other Ibanez guitars and certainly this will continue with the new EP7 "Acoustic JEM" being produced in Korea (not Japan like the JEMs & Prestige guitars).

Please answer the poll below asking if your purchasing plans are effected by where a guitar is made.

PS - this poll has nothing to do with "nationalism" or culture or either country. It has STRICTLY to do with the differences of output quality of guitars that are produced at each factory. It also takes into account the Korean made Ibanez guitars are made typically by Cort, who makes many other "brand guitars" to Ibanez specs.

Last edited by jemsite; 12-30-2004 at 09:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 01:00 PM

The place its made would have no real bareing over it for me.
But even saying that i would be duvious as to why an axe made there in the suposidly lower quality factory camands such a price tag. Other than the name Vai of course.

I will try one out when i can but i dout i will like it anyhow to be honest for various reasons.

But the real point here is that the place its made wouldnt sway my decision if i liked it.

so i cant realy go with any of the decisions on the poll
post #3 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
site founder 0% owner

sounds like a MAYBE vote to me since you considered the origin but would still consider purchase if it meets your needs... glen
post #4 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 01:05 PM

"Maybe. It would effect my purchase plans and evaluation process."

well i dont know, it doesnty effect my purchase plans or my evaluation process realy.
post #5 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 01:17 PM

I agree with disocciative1.

As long as the instrument's quality is in line with its price, where it's made is irrelevant to me, and does not factor into the decision-making process at all.

I won't outright dismiss (or praise) any guitar just because it was manufactured in Korea, China, Indonesia, Croatia, England, Japan, Canada or the USA. It's either a good guitar for the money, or it isn't.

In fact, i've been very impressed lately by some Squiers and Ibanez Artcores that just happened to be made in China.

The above choices only reflect a narrow range of viewpoints. You assume that 1) Steve's signature is all that matters; 2) country of origin factors into everyone's buying process; or 3) people are guitar snobs and won't consider a non-Japanese Ibanez.

Not everyone fits into those three stereotypical "buckets."
post #6 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 01:54 PM
Vendor

What if the VWH was made in Korea and still retained it's $2400 price tag? A price tag which can reach $3500 to those overseas? Would you still buy it? What if the DNA had been made in Korea with it's $5000 price tag, how many buyers would still have found it appealing?

Is there a price point in which Korean/Chineese made is acceptible, and at what point does it become unacceptible?
post #7 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
I agree with disocciative1.

As long as the instrument's quality is in line with its price, where it's made is irrelevant to me, and does not factor into the decision-making process at all.

I won't outright dismiss (or praise) any guitar just because it was manufactured in Korea, China, Indonesia, Croatia, England, Japan, Canada or the USA. It's either a good guitar for the money, or it isn't.

In fact, i've been very impressed lately by some Squiers and Ibanez Artcores that just happened to be made in China.

The above choices only reflect a narrow range of viewpoints. You assume that 1) Steve's signature is all that matters; 2) country of origin factors into everyone's buying process; or 3) people are guitar snobs and won't consider a non-Japanese Ibanez.

Not everyone fits into those three stereotypical "buckets."
Very good discussion, but not for this thread

i'm asking in simple terms IF the manufacturing country EFFECTS your buying decision making process only. There are only 3 answers that i can logically conclude for this question and they're above ... glen
post #8 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 02:01 PM

20 years ago, people asked the same questions about Ibanez guitars when they were made in Japan.

Of course, the price is "what the market will bear" and obviously, the concept of a $1200 guitar that's made in Korea is something that's starting to become an acceptable thing to some people. But a lot of those high-end Korean guitars are using genuine Duncan or DiMarzio pickups, top-notch hardware, and woods imported from around the world. It's only the labour and assembly that's truly Korean, and that's been very steadily improving over the last decade.

If they shifted VWH production to Korea, and maintained the same wood, hardware and electronics, and production quality didn't change, i think it would be justified in asking the same price, because the product didn't change.
post #9 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 02:06 PM
Vendor

I'd almost venture to say 90% of the buying public that picks a guitar off a rack in a store never even looks at the serial number and wouldn't know what it meant if they did
post #10 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
20 years ago, people asked the same questions about Ibanez guitars when they were made in Japan.
I get your point, but it was more like 30+ years ago now ...glen

ps - your vote should be NO obviously.
post #11 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite

i'm asking in simple terms IF the manufacturing country EFFECTS your buying decision making process only. There are only 3 answers that i can logically conclude for this question and they're above ... glen
You asked if the country of origin affects your buying decision making process. That's a yes/no question.

The answers you provided have too many conditions attached, they lead the audience, and they show your inherent bias.

Here's how i would have asked it:

If a JEM Acoustic/Electric guitar is not made in Japan, does it effect your final purchasing plans?

[ ] Yes. Country of origin is something i consider in any guitar purchase.
[ ] No. As long as it's a quality guitar priced appropriately for its materials, components and workmanship, where it's made is not important to me.
post #12 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Quote:

You asked if the country of origin affects your buying decision making process. That's a yes/no question.

The answers you provided have too many conditions attached, they lead the audience, and they show your inherent bias.

Here's how i would have asked it:

If a JEM Acoustic/Electric guitar is not made in Japan, does it effect your final purchasing plans?

[ ] Yes. Country of origin is something i consider in any guitar purchase.
[ ] No. As long as it's a quality guitar priced appropriately, where it's made is not important to me.
That is a different poll. Trust me, i have a background in scientific methodology. Your poll is inadequate just by missing the "don't know" choice. You can be "no" and "maybe" both in your example poll.

You're getting hung up on the wording after Yes, maybe, no for some reason... glen

ps - i just tweaked the wording so as to keep this on track.
post #13 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 02:15 PM

Quote:
My vote would be "no" but not with the additional stipulations you provided in the answer you provided. Steve's signature and the Ibanez name don't factor very heavily into the process for me, either.
post #14 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Quote:
My vote would be "no" but not with the additional stipulations you provided in the answer you provided. Steve's signature and the Ibanez name don't factor very heavily into the process for me, either.
Recheck the poll. I edited it since my point was missed (people are buying "ibanez" or "jem" not country of origin).
post #15 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 02:21 PM

Yeah, yeah... we did the scientific method in Grade 8, where we learned the difference between making observations and drawing conclusions.

The way you previously worded your questions put words in people's mouths that reflected your own bias. It was slanted and opinionated, so trying to play the "scientific method" trump card is a joke.

I'm glad that my being "hung up on the wording" prompted you to make the answers less loaded than they were before.

Tags
darren wilson , dean evo , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , electric guitar , fixed bridge , flame maple , flame maple neck , guitar players , high frets , ibanez acoustic , ibanez bass , ibanez dealer , ibanez guitars , ibanez models , jem neck , korean guitar , les paul , maple neck , michael kelly , mike mushok , neck shape , prestige guitar , prestige guitars , signature guitar , steve vai , string signature

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode