Jem Better Than The Petrucci - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 10:42 PM

Re: Jem Better Than The Petrucci

Hmmm... i got to play a JP EBMM but I wasn't impressed by it. The neck was nice and thin, the body's comfortable and the cutaway is great for upper fret access, but it was just a rock axe thru and thru.

Even with the piezo option, I don't see it doing other genres like jazz, funk or even blues.

But thats me... I seem to want everything in an axe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 10:58 PM

Well to be honest comparing a Jem and a JP is a little like comparing apples and oranges. Remember that they are both different guitars made for different players by different companies. I have played both and found either useful for a certain set of styles yet ill equipped for others. And yes naturally they are going to look and sound and play considerably different. Just the same as say (a Petrucci approved) Mesa amp and a (Vai approved) Carvin. So let us remember that there is a reason that Mr Vai plays the Jem and Mr Petrucci plays an EBMM just as there may be a reason for you to love or hate each one. Just my 2 cents. Joshua
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg5150
Your right price doesn't always reflect quality - but it should do
And where is that more apparent than recent Gibsons?
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 12:26 AM

I've tried both, and let me say that Mystic dream is the best finish i could see on a guitar, but i still don't know why John Left Ibanez, Imagine a JEm with the mystic Dream Finish AND PIEZOS... Wow... the ULTIMATE GUITAR IN THE WORLD
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1

I', glad to hear that Music Mans are know for quality, I must have just come across a bad one. It was in a store so who knows how well it was taken care of. The Axis was great as I pointed out.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 01:05 AM

I've owned 4 EBMMs (3 JPs and a Silo) and I've never had a case of fret sprout on any of them...you can also adjust the tension of the bar's swing...they might not have had it setup properly...they have a ton of finish options as well so that shouldn't be a worry...I just hope youre not confusing the OLP JP with the real deal...
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 04:00 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1

[QUOTE=...I just hope youre not confusing the OLP JP with the real deal...[/QUOTE]

Nope, it was the real one.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE BLACK DOTS
Well on the piezo version the 3 control knobs and the 3 way selector are right out near the edge of the body and the piezo selector is on the upper horn like a Wolfgang...

Yeah i know it's all out of the way (which is one of the reasons it appeals to me ) but the 3-way selector looks like it might be a pain in the wotsit!
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 12:51 PM

I have two Mystic Dream JPs sitting here, one's mine and one's my friends. I also have an '04 Jem that's rapidly approaching it's second birthday (my how time flies).

I love both guitars, but they are not even close to the same in terms of feel and tone. Totally different guitars. You might as well compare Jems and JS's.

First, the necks are similar in profile but feel totally different. Both play really well... "fast" necks you could say. The fret work on any EB I have ever seen is far and away better than the typical Ibanez fret job. My Jem has never had a fret level, but it could probably use one. The fret centers are always high on Ibanez guitars, which bugs me visually. The EB seems to be perfect. However, I enjoy playing both guitars equally as much. Both are a dream to play on.

As far as the tremolo goes, non-locking trems are a pain in the butt. I'll argue with anyone all day long about the supposed "time saving" aspects of non-locking tremolos. If you want it to work there is no such thing. They are more time consuming that double-locking trems, if anything. Seems that whenever I argue this point on the EB forum the dissenters usually come clean and admit that they are just "moderate" tremolo users, using the bar for "shimmering" vibrato and the like. If you actually use the bar on the JP you'll need to do a few things to keep it working properly. However, once you do the simple things like lubricating the bridge saddles (if necessary) and the get the nut broken in (and even lube it just to be safe) this tremolo works unbelievably well. Maybe as good as the Edge Pro on my Jem. But I have gone trhough hell and back figuring out how to get mine to work right. My friend's JP needs slightly different attention for his to function properly.

In short, I like having variety. Some people want all their guitars to sound and play the same... I have 15 guitars and they are all different with different pups. My amp setting never changes, ever. I like the simple tonal difference that chaning the guitar itself makes, and I love the difference in feel. It's like deciding what to wear for the day when you pickup a guitar to play. I can't say that my JP is better than my Jem, it's just different... and I like that.

Ryan
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 02:09 PM

Wink Re: Jem Better Than The Petrucci

Quote:
Originally Posted by red5
I liked Petrucci's sound better when he had the Ibanez. I've heard a lot of bad about the MM Petrucci models, but never played one.
i agree with you on that one bro,
The sound was better on the Ibanez Petrucci , & compare these two guitars side by side, play them the Ibanez is a better guitar in 6 or 7 string in the Petrucci models,- sounds like the bro got a dud guitar, sell it bro put the cash to another Ibanez add it to your colletion, don't stew over it, get rid of that thorn in your paw bro!
goodluck with it- Jake.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 03:00 PM

[QUOTE=I just hope youre not confusing the OLP JP with the real deal...[/QUOTE]

even though for the price they still rock anything you put them up against. throw dome dimarzios in there and i'd put it up agaisnt any $1000 guitar.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 03:18 PM

They are Dimarzios in the JP6 and 7 aleady man!

Tags
alternate picking , body shape , bridge saddles , control knobs , david mccarroll , ebmm petrucci , eddie van halen , electric guitar , ernie ball , fixed bridge , fixed bridge model , fret access , fret level , ibanez guitars , ibanez pgm , joe satriani , john petrucci , locking nut , locking tremolo , locking trems , locking tuners , petrucci model , piezo system , steve lukather , steve morse , steve vai , string bass , upper fret , upper fret access , upper frets , van halen , vinnie moore

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode