Jem black headstock Spray paint job help - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Jem black headstock Spray paint job help

Hey guys I have a couple quick questions.. I'm make a jem GMC swirl and I need to paint the headstock.. I know spray paint isn't ideal but its what im using.. What kind of spray(brand type etc) paint would be recommended? flat? shiny? And i will be clear-coating it with again with spray paint.. Also how many cans of each should I use for the whole thing? 1-2 coats of black paint? 5 coats of Clear? more or less?

Thanks a ton! (will post pictures when its all done)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Jem black headstock Spray paint job help

Apparently, you missed my thread on DIY painting tips. Shoot me an email at
[email protected]
I'll send you that e-book that will show you everything youu need to know.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

PM sent
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 01:03 PM

Reviews: 4

use the search function. spay paint is really easy to mess up, try it on a test peice of wood!! although, its easy to get a jem dbk finish if you overdo black spray-paint (i did it on a model rocket for fun, looks just like the dbk lol)!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 01:49 PM

Reviews: 2

my advise.... pay someone who knows what they are doing to do the job for you.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 02:08 PM

Spray cans are, no offense, useless jesus jem, so is any auto related product especially on a necks without a veneer, if you use spray cans you will see the glue lines forever, you need industrial primer PU is no good either, trust me on that. If you do use spray cans then make sure they are the same brand and test them thoroughly, most people wont be able to tell the difference from a photograph but close up you will see the difference I wish you the best of luck with it, ps it might look okay for a while but the more time that passes the more the glue lines will show if it is a normal jem neck construction using cans or PU's

Also if you have swirled the guitar yourself then you can do this yourself easy, go for it buddy HAGO

IF the original Ibanez primer is on the neck still cans will be fine, the clear will never be as good as industrial clear as it is industrial clear not for general public as it is very nasty stuff it depends how good a finish you want and how long you want it to last.

Last edited by Out Of This Swirled; 12-06-2010 at 02:44 PM. Reason: just tried to read through it, wow typ O
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 02:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus jem View Post
PM sent
Don't know where these references to glue lines and DBK finish are coming from. Spray cans are just fine--go search for my thread on the RG-550 Space Invaders thread. I also just emailed you that book.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 02:49 PM

If the neck is to be painted from scratch as in plain (which was not established in this thread) wood without any primer from Ibanez then you will have problems with glue lines showing over time (unless it's a veneer headstock), using spray cans, more so than acrylic or PU or Guitar Factory primer.

I would suggest you use Alaskabat if he has a guide with spray cans and this is the direction you are going I was only trying to be of help.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Banned

No worries, Swirled! I always assume that when folks spray, cans or pro, that they primer first.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 05:27 PM

Reviews: 2

I would still say give it to a pro, dont takkle it on your own. IMO spray cans should be banned!!! THe contents are of an absolute pi$$ poor quality. you pay for what you get. I dont know any pro body shops that paint with rattle cans pmpl. pay the money and get the results.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Banned

There is nothing wrong with rattle-can painting, as long as you use decent paint (yes, there are decent ones). Make sure to sand the wood flat, seal the wood, prime, sand again if needed, spray base coat...etc--just shoot me an email to [email protected] and I'll send you the DIY painting E-Book that will walk you through the whole process. You can get factory looking finishes if done correctly. Look at this one--hasn't even been buffed and polished yet:

This one hasn't even been clearcoated yet:

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Wow thanks a lot guys for all the advice.. for some reason I dont get emails any more saying people responded to my posts so had no idea you guys helped me so much. Anyways I did a rattle can job.. but it came out great. I had the guys at the hardware store help me one of them there believe it or not builds guitars all the time and also is the paint manager so that was a win win. Used Krylon flat black did 3 coats. waited for it to dry - 2 hours later applied the Ibanez Decal then shot it with Premium decor laquer put on near 17 coats. It built up to where you cant feel the logo but it deff. could of used more coats I just couldnt deal with adding more (lazy). Any ways Ill put up some pictures when I receive the body from Al - O.O.T haa yes Al Its the kid from youtube that has been Nagging you about the GMC body lol. Anyways thanks every one for the help!

-Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode