JEM for black metal - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

JEM for black metal

Alright just to make sure, I was wondering which JEM is it that YOU guys think will suit best for black metal and heavy metal music? I played a DBK today, and man, it can handle anything I throw at it, clean, shred, sweep, legato, tapping, pinch harmonics, whammy stuff, music styles it could handle:black metal, death metal, heavy metal, rock, classic rock, blues, jazz, classical, progressive rock, 80's rock, heavy rock, thrash, hardcore, noisegrind, pretty much anything, those Breeds are pretty clear, not too heavy though. I have also played a 7VWH, it's not as equipped to handle the heavier/darker music styles that I master in, but I wouldn't use one for that anyway, it's more of a rock, prog rock, non-evil rock/metal guitar. Anyways, I've never seen anyone in the black metal business use a white JEM, and I don't think it'd go over well with any of the other band's. Anyway, like I said, which one do you guys think is best, if other than the 7DBK, please explain, maybe I can get ahold of one to play with and see. I'm eventually going to buy a DBK, just depends on how long now. Laterz /,,/

~Demon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 04:39 AM

The DBK is sweet... I love mine. My 7VWH can handle anything I do as well... also depends on what effects you use too.
As far as the looks go, the DBK is definitely evil looking... You can throw a black pickguard on it if the mirror doesn't suit you... same with the UV777BK if you're into seven strings... I've seen picks of the UV with a black pickguard and it looks pretty pissed off. I also saw a thread somewhere in here where someone took a hammer, put the pickguard between a couple magazines and bashed it a few times... it held together by the mirror stuff, but made the plastic look like it had spiderwebs all over it.
It all depends on what your preference is. : )
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 04:41 AM

Why not get a UV7BK? Trey (can't spell his last name) in Morbid Angel used to play the one with green pickups/dots. The low B-string could really add some crunching rhythms while maintaining the normal string tension.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 07:27 AM

Black Metal wise the DBK would work, it's got a quite cool look to it, and if you are going for the full PVC/leather/spikes type setup then it could be a cool addition. I would replace the HW with something like cosmo black or something and ditch the mirror scratchplate for something more matte personally, but that's just me.

I think that if it can handle anything you throw at it then you should get it. If you like the neck, sound and playability then why not? It's not too obviously vai, and if you make a few changes it could end up looking damn damn cool

Otherwise you could always go looking for a battered BSB, they look nice and industrial and I love mine.

Just to give you an idea, I tend to play thrashy/death with some black metal mixed in there with opeth influences (via the other guitarist).

Would I play my Jem on stage? maybe, probably if we weren't writing 7string stuff... I mean, it's an unusual guitar, it's going to turn heads, but then again, if you wanted something plain that blended in I doubt you'd be looking at jems

If you like the DBK go for it, then customize it
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 08:02 AM

FP or SK no question
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Alright! I'm glad to see people here feel the same way, kinda takes the pressure off that I was making the wrong decision. Yeah I really do love the neck, it fits my hand so well, and it sounds pretty damn good to me, even though the body is basswood, I got some really heavy stuff out of it. Speaking of the basswood, I like it, it's really light, but it does have some balls to it's sound. Anyway, alright now that I'm sure about it, what kind of pickups usually work well in this guitar? I don't like the Breeds, they are really clear, but no balls to them, I want a pickup for the bridge to be heavy sounding but remain very clear on what I'm playing even with the distortion on. I currently have a DiMarzio Steve's Special in my S470, it's very versatile and clear, but I think it could have a little more chunk ability, I'm very picky BTW. I was curious about Seymour Duncan hummers, never had one before, all I use are DiMarzio's on all my guitars. Yeah and to the guy who said make some changes, yes definitely, when I get the cash after buying the DBK, the neck is going straight over to LGM to have the chrome vine put on. As well as some binding on the neck and headstock, just to add to the elegance of the guitar (a.k.a. make it look more expensive.) Alright, that about covers it, I hope someone can help me with the pickup decision, if not, oh well I'll ask a couple of techs at the shop or something. Laterz /,,/

~Demon
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 03:16 PM

If you want a Jem then I'll also vote for the DBK. I would also consider a Universe. I'd also say that a Jem777VBK, 7PBK, and 77GMC would also be suitable.

Opeth rocks man, they're definately one of my fav bands. If not my most favored.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 07:16 PM

black through grey MC universe
cooool
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 01:23 PM

I would love to see a black metal bands whose guitarplayer abuses a 7V WH, it would kick the real **** out of practically anyone
My axe that most fits the darker styles is my new S520 EX BBK, that matte leatherlike finish just blows people away (and my black RG could do the trick as well but I don't play that one too much anymore...)
I might buy a second hand blue flower pattern or BSB soon, I'm sure the guitars are up to the style I play (mostly Gothenburg Style death/black) and I would love to turn heads, but then again my band just splitted so I'll take my spot in the limelight...
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 04:14 PM

A death metal or black metal lead guitarist sporting a JEMFP!! Thats would look weird!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 05:32 PM

If you don't like the pickups EMG's are great for Metal music.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 05:35 PM

Haha! I can never think of "black metal" without thinking of Evil Joe.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 02:04 AM

my 97 UV7BK looks pretty evil. the black finish is almost mirror like, i love it. i play black, death, extreme, thrash, technical metal, it works for all of the above. i play a little fusion here and there, and its also good.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 08:29 AM

I play some heavier stuff with my DBK, funky things, shreds sometime and suits all fine. It's more like "One Size Fits All".
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus
Why not get a UV7BK? Trey (can't spell his last name) in Morbid Angel used to play the one with green pickups/dots. The low B-string could really add some crunching rhythms while maintaining the normal string tension.
The guitarist from Flaw and Static-X's old guitarist both use the UV777BK.

Tags
black pickguard , chrome vine , death metal , dimarzio steve , heavy metal , morbid angel , pinch harmonics , prog rock , seymour duncan , string tension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode