Jem BRMR issues - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

Jem BRMR issues

Hi all,
Here's the deal:

I bought a BRMR recently, brand new. Trouble is, the binding is starting to come away from the body in a couple places, as others have reported. It's VERY minor and hardly noticeable unless you're a freak like me.

I've received a warranty call tag from Ibanez in PA, but I have to pay shipping and insurance (and I don't have anything big enough to even pack the thing in), and there's no guarantee, according to the fine print, that they'll fix it.... I don't have a copy of the warranty handy to see if this is actually covered.

Has anyone else tried to get this covered under warranty? What was the outcome?

TIA

Last edited by heffergm; 08-30-2007 at 06:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 07:20 AM

Re: Jem BRMR issues

I never had the issues with the one I had, but can make a suggestion for a box. You should be able to get a box big enough for a guitar from any UPS store. I forgot the dimensions but I have purchased 2 of them only a couple months ago. They were $14 . Just thought you might like to know. Sorry to hear about your problem, that really sucks. The BRMR is a great axe otherwise. I hope you get it fixed soon. Good luck !
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 08:35 AM

Repairing this is more than likely going to require a re-finish. However, Ibanez are, I think you'll find, contractually bound under the terms of the warranty to repair this. The fact that it is a common fault and not down to bad storage on your part (ie damp or excessively hot conditions) works in your favour too.

In my experience, problems like this occurr when wood hasn't been dried properly or has been dried to quickly (in a kiln, for example). It expands/contracts but in most cases only very small amounts so the binding and finish are able to move with it. However, in cases such as yours, something has to give and sadly the wood and the binding seperate.

Good luck with this - and keep us posted.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 09:02 AM
RCB

The binding is not "starting to come away". It's just not prefect, but it will stay the way it is. Leave it alone and be happy.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCB View Post
The binding is not "starting to come away". It's just not prefect, but it will stay the way it is. Leave it alone and be happy.
Sorry? Yes, it very much IS starting to come away. More to the point, it HAS come away in 3 places around the body:

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 09:11 AM

Would Ibanex allow you to ship the body witout the neck? That way you could use a smaller box and bubble wrap.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Good question... I really don't know, and since I'm trying to arrange all this through the dealer I bought from, I don't have an Ibanez contact to answer the question. I'll inquire through the dealer.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 09:42 AM

You realise of course that the minute you take the neck off the guitar you have voided the manufacturer's warranty?

Take it back to the shop you bought it from - let them deal with it. By the way, as far as I am aware this binding issue is exactly why the BRMR was dropped, so unfortunately you have little guarantee that it won't happen again - I'm sort of with one of the other posters - they are a great guitar, enjoy it for that, although I can also see your point about this issue with a basically new instrument.

Could be worse of course, frets occasionally fall off brand new Parker Flys.......
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCB View Post
It's funny how it's not even your guitar but somehow you seem to know all about it. The pictures show it has come away. I had a BRMR (sold it for a pink J Custom) and it didn't have any problems with the binding like what is shown in the pics. I feel bad for the guy. How can you tell him to be happy with a $2300 guitar that isn't finished properly? That's like buying a new car and all the trim falling off and the dealership telling you there's nothing wrong with it, leave it alone and be happy. I wouldn't leave it alone and be happy with 1/2 assed quality when you pay for a 1st class instrument. Send it back and make Ibanez do their part like they should.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 10:41 AM
RCB

I have a BRMR, and even though the binding in mine is almost perfect, it has one spot where it seems to have some "air" between the body and the binging. It was like that when I bought it, and it remains like that a year after.

I ve also seen a couple of other BRMR and they have the same kind of imperfections, but they dont get worse with time. That's why I say dont dont "start to come away".

I dont know if, in this particular case, the guitar was always like that or if this is something that gets worst with time. If it is, it would be the first one I see.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 10:42 AM

Sounds like it's getting worse to me dude...
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 11:25 AM

in response to getting a box, the easiest thing I've found for when I ship the occasional guitar is to head to the local guitar store (the smaller the better) and ask if they'll give you a box or two that they received guitar shipments in. Normally those get thrown away, so they don't have any problem sticking one or two aside for you if you just come by soon enough that it doesn't take up precious storage area for very long. You would probably do well to double-box the instrument by getting a larger box from the UPS store and they can line it with styrofoam or something absorbent to further cushion the instrument, as you don't want to just stick the case in a box and mail it, you might as well just duct tape the case and send it if you do that, you won't have any protection from bumps along the way, you'd just be protecting the looks of the case keeping it from being scratched.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 11:31 AM

Very good point.

Ideally you want to bubble-wrap the guitar inside the case, then bubble-wrap the case (with the big bubble stuff) then pack that into a sturdy old box.

This is how I have sent guitars in the past - overseas too.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 12:00 PM
Vendor

Unless you have something extremely rare, the binding is not pulling away. It was never there to pull away. I've had plenty of these and every one the top was not cut big enough to reach the edge inside the horn, and you could clearly see the wood in the gap.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/images/us...2/MVC-057F.JPG

It doesn't matter how you send it. If they still have any they'll replace the body, and when you see how they ship it back you'll just complain about how you did so and so to protect it and they just threw the case in a box.....
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 05:24 PM

live with it mate.

Tags
parker fly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode