Ibanez JEM Forum banner
12K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Devo 
#1 ·
So here it is completed, along with pictures of the process.

I got my hands on a double edge pro on the bay for sometime ago, but I wasn't very keen to do some routing in this guitar, at least not give it to some telecaster lovers for routing.
And it also got rid of the Gold edge pro, which has served this guitar for 6 months or so.

I spent a lot of time to figure out how to wire this without having more controllers and holes in the body, so I figured out that I really didn't need anything else than position 1,2,4,and 5 of a regular RG2020 H-H wiring.
And then the middle position was chosen to the piezo pickup.
And for this The VLX91 pickup selector was absolutely needed, as well as some mods to the control x preamp.
I removed the volume pot, and the toggle switch.
The tone knob is working on the piezo position as well, which it's not on the 2020X if I remeber correctly.

Btw Nice wallpaper, huh?

The guitar stripped, and of course it has the JPM neck which someone on this forum already know that I love.

Yes, Oiling the fretboard while the guitar is still stringless.

Getting ready for wiring on the backside of the pickguard, along with my well engineered wiring diagram, notice the tone pot, a short shaft was needed to get available space for the battery beneath.
The pickups are DiMarzio Air Norton, and Petrucci custom bridge, which is also direct mounted to the body.

Battery placement, piezo wires, and the green one is to bridge ground.
The only hole I had to drill was for the piezo wires.

Pickguard almost done.

Control X preamp does acutally fit in the jack cavity, lucky me, Imagine working in this cavity, it is not too much space.

Yeah Baby! Completed. And plays like a dream.
Cosmo black makes the look of if quite angryish.

See less See more
#7 ·
thats nice mate.. well done... im also in the process of learning how to solder... i remembered soldering my pickups for my strats.. it was all good but when i plug the guitar to the amp .. theres no sound hehehe.. up till now any soldering dillemma ill send it to the pros... hehehe.. nice work mate...

#15 ·
The piezo simulates an acoustic guitar with a cable connection, just like if you used the acoustic plugged to a mixer. Though it won't be exactly the same, but it will do the job.

excellent DIY, but sorry to see that

a Jem,
a JPM
and something with a Piezo

had to be dismembered for this :(

or did you put the Jem neck on the JPM?
Am I correct, that with this wiring you can't use piezo and magnetic combined?
Well nothing has been dismembered (by me though) since I got the neck and the bridge from the bay, and the body is a replacement body I got my hands on, which was brand new.

And YES it does have the locking studs mod.

You're right about that I can't use the magnetic and the piezo simultaneously, but for me that's ok, I never use that, I also have an RG2020X along with my two 2027's to do that IF I need it sometime.

So the wiring is at these postions:
1 Neck humbucker
2 Neck parallell
3 Piezo pickup
4 Neck and Bridge inner coils
5 Bridge humbucker.

regards
Tony

#14 ·
And for this The VLX91 pickup selector was absolutely needed, as well as some mods to the control x preamp.
I removed the volume pot, and the toggle switch.
The tone knob is working on the piezo position as well, which it's not on the 2020X if I remeber correctly.
Tone dial does work on the piezo on a 2020 (does on mine anyway). Did you do any mods to the ctrlX? or did you just did you hard wire the toggle switch in the piezo on position?

Anychance you could post your wiring diagram.. would be much appreciated?

Steve

#16 ·
The tone pot is not working on the piezo on my 2020 or my 2027's, so then yours must be modded, well , anyway it doesn't really matter.

I removed the volume pot and replaced it with a 100kohms resistor, and a shorting, so it will always stay on full volume, and I rewired the wires that used to go to the toggle switch.

Post the diagram????? are you mad?, it took me days,
Just kidding, but I don't have it on this computer. I'll see what I can do later on.

T

#17 ·
your making me doubt myselfy here... I (completely) rewired my 2020X to run a sinlge stereo output... (had to use a push pull to disengage the battery cause I couldnt get a stereo barrel jack with a switch contact) I thought i left most of the ctrlX intact... but its entirely possible that I hooked up the tone pot to the ouput of the piezo and magnetics... but my 2027 is stock so Ill check that later on ...

I have a piezo lo-pro that has been itching for a project... if I can find the right neck. I never thought of hardwiring the ctrlX and stashing it in the output jack cavity so thanks for the inspiration!

The only thing I would add is a simple push-pull mod (Im sure you considered it already) which would give you piezo in parallel with the mags over all switch positions...

Steve

#18 ·
I couldnt get a stereo barrel jack with a switch contact
I know, I've been looking for those for quite sometime now.

The only thing I would add is a simple push-pull mod (Im sure you considered it already) which would give you piezo in parallel with the mags over all switch positions...
I think there is enough space to have a push pull pot where the volume pot is, so that option should be possible.
I never use the piezo and magnetic together at the same output jack, so I didn't care, but if I get my hands on the previously mentioned stereo jack, that fits the Jem, I could use a Y-cord to split the signal to different amps, then it would be interesting to me.

#19 ·
if you PM "gitarrero"... I think his name is oliver .... he knows a guy who will make them (by modding a switchcraft stereo I think), but generally doesnt offer them for public sale so they are pricey (~$30).

I run a single stereo cable to a splitter box ... one side goes to my mag rig and the other goes to the PA via an acoustimax preamp. works very well... would work better with the switch contact jack though.... one less switch

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.