JEM BSB - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

JEM BSB

People,

I have my eye on BSB for sale, but theguy has replaced the fret markers with real abalone ones.

How easy is it to find and replace the fret dots with the screw-type ones as found on the stock models?

Your Chimp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 06:50 AM

Re: JEM BSB

Leave the abalone dots... hell, the cheap "screw" dots suck on that one...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

I suppose so...but will it affect the value if I sell it? I mean people want original don't they?
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 07:34 AM

I wouldn't worry about it. BSB is not a collectors guitar. The finish on them makes them more prone to finish damage and they don't seem to fetch as much on the 'used' market as other Jems.

Leave the abalone - it'll only add value in the long run. The screw heads are pure cheese.

~K
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 07:35 AM

Depends, if its a highly collectable, yeah, original is the way to go... I for one, hate the fake screw heads, and would have the inlays done as soon as i have spare cash, so, buying one with the job aready done would make perfect sense (to me)...

If anything, you should be able to let it go for what BSBs sell, no more, no less... still, lets wait for the experts to chime in

btw, if you could post pics, thatd be awesome...

edit: Kenny beat me to it
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks,

I know the BSB are not the most sought after Jems...but how do they play? Does anybody have an opinion on this?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 08:38 AM

I've had a BSB for a few years and love it! To me, the sound seems harder than that of a guitar with paint\clearcoat finish (ie my GMC or UVMC)

As for the screw heads - it's all subjective. I really like them. I've read about some BSBs having some "quality" issues with regard to the screw dots but mine look great. I think they look cool and and in keeping with they style of the guitar.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverlandChimp View Post
Thanks,

I know the BSB are not the most sought after Jems...but how do they play? Does anybody have an opinion on this?
Its a Jem bro
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 09:35 AM
RCB

IMHO, its the best sounding, most comfortable (along with the 10th) jem. It also looks very cool.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 09:59 AM

If you bought her to play her then it really doesn't really matter, the condition that would bring the highest price will be lost due to wear and tear. Unless the guitar was owned by the artist him/herself.
If it is in excellent condition (except for the inlays) and future value is the chance you want to take then, in most cases, the original factory set up is what will give the guitar the most value. Value to me is a crap shoot, it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, or how cheap someone is wiling to let it go, how badly someone wants it and what the available supply is. This applies to everything no matter what you're buying or selling.
Let's face it we all want the "found it a barn for $50.00 deal". To me it's guys like Rich Harris (click the swirley banner above) and his " I have one, here it is, this is what it costs and don't ask to buy it for less" attitude that preserves the value of these guitars for myself and others who have made an investment, not just financialy but in general.
Sorry I'm getting way off topic here.... I'll get into this in another thread, another day.
Personally I love the BSB. Yes, I do own one, she's a real beauty, to me the BSB is one of the more appealing JEMS made. As far as playability awesome guitar. So whether you play her or admire her..... enjoy her!!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by life is pain View Post
If you bought her to play her then it really doesn't really matter, the condition that would bring the highest price will be lost due to wear and tear. Unless the guitar was owned by the artist him/herself.
If it is in excellent condition (except for the inlays) and future value is the chance you want to take then, in most cases, the original factory set up is what will give the guitar the most value. Value to me is a crap shoot, it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, or how cheap someone is wiling to let it go, how badly someone wants it and what the available supply is. This applies to everything no matter what you're buying or selling.
Let's face it we all want the "found it a barn for $50.00 deal". To me it's guys like Rich Harris (click the swirley banner above) and his " I have one, here it is, this is what it costs and don't ask to buy it for less" attitude that preserves the value of these guitars for myself and others who have made an investment, not just financialy but in general.
Sorry I'm getting way off topic here.... I'll get into this in another thread, another day.
Personally I love the BSB. Yes, I do own one, she's a real beauty, to me the BSB is one of the more appealing JEMS made. As far as playability awesome guitar. So whether you play her or admire her..... enjoy her!!
Sounds great...you should be a jem salesman dude!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 03:49 PM

I had one for a few months. ultimately, it was too 'aggressive' sounding for me and my style of music/playing.

This echos codnchips' impression as well. There's definitely a difference in the tone of the BSB over all the others.

I've owned a few of them in my time, but the only one i kept was my BFP (and i even modded the hell out of that one)

~K
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 07:37 PM

Beware that the aggresive tone might be just the EVOs... Breeds, Paf Pros, or whatever combo of your choice should suite the basswood better and make a hell of a difference...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 08:55 PM

BSB = The Best Jem....if you're a player & actually play your Jems like me

Tags
abalone dots , fret markers , paf pro , paf pros

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode