Which JEM to buy? Need more info. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

Which JEM to buy? Need more info.

I am set on wanting to buy a JEM, but I don't have enough cash for the $2500 models. By looking through this site, it looks like I have my eyes set on either the 555 or the 7DBK. I've been reading a lot of comments that say the JEM 555 isn't that great of a guitar. However when you're trying to replace the Fender Starcaster that came out of the bundle pack you get at BestBuy for $200, that thing looks pretty good lol.

After that, it looks like the 7DBK is the next lower priced JEM? I am wondering what is the difference between the two, which one you would recommend, and also the cost of each one (new and used). Also, do they still sell these in stores/online or am I going to have to buy a used one?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 07:16 AM

Re: Which JEM to buy? Need more info.

Get the JEM7DBK even if it's second hand, because it's Made in Japan
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 09:17 AM

Not to feed into the "made in Japan is automatically better" furor, because every 555 I've played has been a decent quality guitar, the bridge WILL make a difference, and the DBK will have a much higher quality trem.

The 555 has Dimarzio Evolution pickups, and the DBK will have Dimarzio Breed pickups.
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 09:43 AM

A DBK can be had under a grand, a 777DY that has some miles on it for a little more if you're lucky, patient or both. Like $1500 or so.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 09:55 AM

Yeah, hold out for an older one. They have mojo!

Several models are available used in the under $1500 range. I saw a nice VWH at GC for $1500 a couple of weeks ago. You may have luck finding one if you're patient.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcord View Post
Not to feed into the "made in Japan is automatically better" furor, because every 555 I've played has been a decent quality guitar, the bridge WILL make a difference, and the DBK will have a much higher quality trem.

The 555 has Dimarzio Evolution pickups, and the DBK will have Dimarzio Breed pickups.
This - I think the 555 sounds great and plays great, but you do get what it largely regarded as a technically inferior bridge than on a JEM7.

You do get the "half vine" which screams "I couldn't quite get what I really wanted".

But you don't have to put up with the lumpy bumpy finish on teh JEM7DBK which screams "we needed a way to make this guitar worse than the other jems we put out so we can justify a lower price for it"
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 10:45 AM

This old page from Jemsite might help:

http://www.jemsite.com/jem/spec.htm

It should give you an idea of of some of the specs of past and present models, albeit out-dated on some things. Ignore those list prices, obviously.

Personally, I would buy a new 505 from Rich and ibanezrules.com or get an older used one. If you can manage a budget of at least $2000, that's more than enough for a 505 and you could have your pick of most used ones, probably with cash to spare. As far as used ones go, personally I like 777DYs and the older 7vwh that have the ebony fretboard.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 10:49 AM

I'd vote against the 505, personally. Overpriced RG550 is what that guitar is...

However, there's a '98 VWH with ebony board on the 'bay currently. $1450 plus shipping.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I'd vote against the Jem, personally. Overpriced RG550 is what that guitar is...
FIFY

He said he wanted a Jem. The 505 is a Jem. We could just as easily tell him to forget the Jem, save $1500 to $2000 and just by a used RG550...but he wants a Jem. We can't blame him for that.

Higaj, despite my jab, there's wisdom in dcord's suggestion. A 505 would be my last pick. I'd prefer an older used one.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 11:23 AM

Thumbs up Re: Which JEM to buy? Need more info.

I have a JEM7RB in the classified ads for $1500.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 11:32 AM

PMed about a Jem 7V WH that I'm willing to sell.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTiger View Post
FIFY

He said he wanted a Jem. The 505 is a Jem. We could just as easily tell him to forget the Jem, save $1500 to $2000 and just by a used RG550...but he wants a Jem. We can't blame him for that.

Higaj, despite my jab, there's wisdom in dcord's suggestion. A 505 would be my last pick. I'd prefer an older used one.
Oh, I agree. He wants a JEM, not an RG550 with a handle. Its a JEM, but barely.

I stand by my original suggestion - look for a used, quality JEM. They're out there. I would never advocate paying $1500 for a 505 when that money could buy a nice used VWH or DY.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:

I stand by my original suggestion - look for a used, quality JEM. They're out there. I would never advocate paying $1500 for a 505 when that money could buy a nice used VWH or DY.
I'm dying to sell my 7VWH. A reasonable offer from a CONUS buyer would take it easily. Great guitar, but I can't use it. I have a PGM100RE that suits me a bit better.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:

It has a maple fretboard and a basswood body. It has an original Edge. Add $120 and you also have some PAF Pros. For me, that almost sold it. The only thing making it not worth the money is the price of the used Jems I was trying to emulate.

That's the only thing wrong with that guitar, IMO. Unfortunately, that's a rather important "only thing wrong". We're basically coming to the same conclusion, just a different way.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 01:31 PM

There's a DBK on the bay with a $950 BIN...

Tags
555 , 7dbk , jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode