Jem cleaning - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-2001, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Jem cleaning

What does you guys find to be the best guitar and string cleaner for the Jems? I have a Jem 77FP. I was also wondering for your opinion on the strings. I have the strings that came with the guitar on it now (the guitar is a week old) and they feel a little more "tinny" than the usual new pair of strings. Any suggestions on a good string for the Jems? Thx guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-2001, 08:20 PM

Jem cleaning

I use that Martin guitar polish/cleaner.

Ernie Ball 9-42 Super Slinky in the pink pack.
IMHO, the best electric guitar string made.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-2001, 08:39 PM

Jem cleaning

Congrats again on the FP, it's an awesome guitar.

For strings, I prefer the D'addario XL 9's, I would definitely restring if they sound or feel odd.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-2001, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Jem cleaning

Yeah, they feel a little "tight". I was not sure whether it was just getting used to playing a different guitar ( I have been playing a Charvel for over 12 years). Thx. I head good things about the Dean Markley Blue Steel strings. Anyone else try these on their Jem?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-2001, 11:15 PM
rvj

Jem cleaning

I've used the Blue Steel strings and they have a great feel. Currently I have DR / 9-42 on one of my Jems and they seem to last quite a bit longer than most others. As far as tone, they sound similar to the Dean Markleys.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-29-2001, 08:01 PM

Jem cleaning

I've always been a D'Addario man myself, but it's possible that the stiffness you're feeling is the 'newness' of the guitar - once the springs are worked in a bit more you might not feel that way about it. *Don't give up yet on any particular brand of strings before you give the springs a chance to break in. *There are tips on breaking in springs faster in the jemsite tech section.

I've heard the Blue Steel guitar strings are hard on frets - cause them to wear faster. *Can anyone corroborate that?

~K
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-29-2001, 08:25 PM

Jem cleaning

i've been using elixors 9's *and they're just everything, dare i say it, they almost make the guitar:-)
only joking of course, *i play a 7vwh,
congrats on the fp. *great guitar

these strings are expensive but the last time i had to restring was 1 month ago, and they still play like new.
(literally!) *they are coated with gortex, polyweb stuff that keeps dirt out and tone in, *they're also much smoother as they have no gaps between the windings, *you could almost say it's a flatwound but not quite.

anyway as the guys are saying, *don't stick on one string until you've tried them all, *have fun on your new jem. *they're the best guitar you can buy.

swiggy
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-29-2001, 08:28 PM

Jem cleaning

oh yeah and the cleaning thing, *i don't put any chemicals, *or cleaning products on my stings, IT ONLY ATTRACTS DIRT. *i just use a cotton cloth to wipe away any dirt or grease, and they feel geogeous.

swiggy
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-29-2001, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Jem cleaning

Thx guys. I felt that the guitar probably just needed to be broken in but wasn't sure. I will wait a while and see. Thx again
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-30-2001, 12:46 AM

Jem cleaning

I love the Blue Steel...I can't get enough of em....last a long time......sound awsome......play good.....what else do you need?
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-30-2001, 12:00 PM

Jem cleaning

Hey man, *
* * *I use Dadarrio XL 9-42+52 on all my axes. *I can change strings now about once every 3 weeks ony a guitar that gets regular play. *(shows its before each one, or after two if they are back to back evenings) *A friend who is an awesome guitar repair person showed me this. *I only use fast fret. *Actually, mroe to it. *Once every month or two on the guitar you regularly play, take the strings ccmpletely off,and clean the fingerboard well. *When you string up, before and after play use a soft cloth and clean each string, well. *That means underneath the string. *Thats where alot of dirt collects. *Once cleaned well, use GHS Fast fret on them. *It should just slide along the string frictionless almost when they are clean. *I no longer can play as well on strings that aren't set up like mine. *You get spoiled. *I used to have to change my strings everyother *week because they would be completly dead. *High strings would be black. *Now they last a month without really dying on me. *
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-30-2001, 12:06 PM
rvj

Jem cleaning

I've used the Elixir strings on my acoustic, but not on any of my electric guitars. The coating makes the strings last a lot longer, plus they are smoother and easy on the fingers. Years ago I used Dean Markley .008's on my Les Paul and would pop the high E within a day or so. To correct the problem, I used Ernie Ball slinkies on the high E only. Try a variety of strings over the next few months, and you'll find a set that's right for you.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-30-2001, 11:23 PM

Jem cleaning

I'm a total Elixir convert - they're ab fab. *They've got a new (to me - not sure how long they've been out) string out called Nano Web - a thinner but equally durable coating on the string. *They're expensive, but try a set out and see what you think.

The more I clean boards the more I'm of the opinion that if you wash your hands before you play and wipe them down after you play, it's best not to use any sort of chemical or oil on the wood on a regular basis. *Keep the grime from getting there in the first place and I think you've got the biggest part of the problem fixed.

Good luck and congrats on a great guitar!

- Chris
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2001, 12:34 AM

Jem cleaning

One thing not mentioned yet is that a lot of Charvels were 24 3/4" scale. You know, "dinky" scale. The Jems are a strat 25 1/2" scale. If you were playing a shorter scale Charvel, don't expect the Jem to become "broken in" and play like the Charvel. It will always be stiffer with the same gauges. The payoff of the longer scale is clearer, sharper notes all around. If your Charvel was a strat scale, then forget what I said and have fun experimenting!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2001, 07:31 AM

Jem cleaning

Hey.... I tried the Elixir strings once. *I picked up a friend's and it felt wild. *I went and changed one of my guitars immediately *They felt good for about 4 days. *Then the damn coating was tearing off and just hanging on the string and rubbing off on my hand? *I talked to another guitarist i knew who told me he had the same experience. *Not even worth it. * And then i found, ok the low end was apparently "staying smooth," but the trebles had all worn. *They have an interesting feel overall. *The next week i restrung with Daddario. *Much better. *THey just aren't worth the money. *I think i still have another set unopened lying around too. *

Tags
dean markley , dean markley blue , dean markley blue steel , electric guitar , ernie ball , fast fret , high strings , les paul , markley blue steel , steel strings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode