Jem Comparison please - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Jem Comparison please

Whats the difference between Jem 7 and RG3550MZGK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 04:38 AM

Re: Jem Comparison please

Trems are different, pickups to wood, neck, neck construction, one has a handle and one has a lions claw. I probably missed a couple of things...
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 04:54 AM

they both have 6 strings. All the rest is different LOL
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 07:45 AM

Reviews: 1

Go to the Ibanez USA website, find the RG, then hit "Compare this Model" on its page, and select the JEM7V from the list. Full comparison.

Here's what I got:

Model: RG3550MZ
Finishes: GK
Neck Material: 5pc Maple/ Walnut
Neck Type: Super Wizard Prestige
Body: Basswood body
Frets: Jumbo frets
Fingerboard: Bound Maple
Inlay: Wedge Sharktooth inlay
Bridge: Edge Zero bridge w/ZPS3
NeckPU: DiMarzio® Air Norton™ Neck
MiddlePU: DiMarzio® True Velvet™ Middle
HWcolor: CK
Case: Hard Shell Case Included
List Price: $1,999.99

Model: JEM7V
Finishes: WH
Neck Material: 5pc Maple/ Walnut
Neck Type: JEM Prestige
Body: Alder body
Frets: 6105 frets
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Inlay: Pearl/ Abalone Vine inlay
Bridge: Edge Pro bridge
NeckPU: DiMarzio® Evolution® DP158
MiddlePU: DiMarzio® Evolution® DPS1
HWcolor: GD
Case: Hard Shell Case Included
List Price: $3,466.65

NOTE: The prices are in US dollars.

Last edited by Pursuit; 02-19-2009 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Added "Note"
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 08:44 AM

Also, if you're looking for a justification for the much higher list price on the Jem, don't bother. It's a signature model and thus will always come with a moderate price hike over what appears at first glance to be a somewhat comparable non-signature guitar. Generally, I believe people buy Jems because they want a Jem, not because it's a substantially "better" guitar.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

So if Jems were not to be signature guitars, they would be around the same level as RG's? sorry for a noobish question.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman1ac View Post
So if Jems were not to be signature guitars, they would be around the same level as RG's? sorry for a noobish question.
The question isn't so much noobish as... not really relevant. The Jem is a signature model created for and with the artist. So, without the original inspiration for the model, which made it a signature in the first place, it wouldn't exist.

That having been said, the RG line was originally created as essentially a lower-end version of the Jem. The original 1987 RG550 was in many ways a non-signature version of the Jem.

Today, there are so many lower-end RGs made in Indonesia and Korea that it's hard to directly compare the RG line with the Jem line. But if we're talking about higher-end Japan-made RGs like the RG3550 in question, I believe they're quite comparable to the Jems in terms of quality. The different features on a Jem do NOT make up roughly $1500 in list price in my opinion, probably not even half of that. Most of those different features are purely cosmetic anyway.

Basically, if you want a real Jem, then nothing else will do. But if you want a high quality Ibanez, you can't really go wrong with a Japan-made RG.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohns74 View Post
The question isn't so much noobish as... not really relevant. The Jem is a signature model created for and with the artist. So, without the original inspiration for the model, which made it a signature in the first place, it wouldn't exist.

That having been said, the RG line was originally created as essentially a lower-end version of the Jem. The original 1987 RG550 was in many ways a non-signature version of the Jem.

Today, there are so many lower-end RGs made in Indonesia and Korea that it's hard to directly compare the RG line with the Jem line. But if we're talking about higher-end Japan-made RGs like the RG3550 in question, I believe they're quite comparable to the Jems in terms of quality. The different features on a Jem do NOT make up roughly $1500 in list price in my opinion, probably not even half of that. Most of those different features are purely cosmetic anyway.

Basically, if you want a real Jem, then nothing else will do. But if you want a high quality Ibanez, you can't really go wrong with a Japan-made RG.
Thank you! I really do want a Jem, but the price is just too high. Just wish if anyone would sell their 7dbk cheap XD As I understand, dbks are most underated Jem among the others, cause of the black bubbly finish?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman1ac View Post
Thank you! I really do want a Jem, but the price is just too high. Just wish if anyone would sell their 7dbk cheap XD As I understand, dbks are most underated Jem among the others, cause of the black bubbly finish?
The finish is all personal preference of course, but that particular one seems to be one of the less popular. I believe the main reason they're underrated is the thinner neck profile which some people prefer. Of course, they've been out of production for some time, so the only way you'll find one will be used, so it'll automatically be cheaper than a new one since the model hasn't exactly achieved collectible status.

For that matter, buying used is probably a good idea for you regardless. You can find pretty much any of the standard Jem models throughout the years a fair amount cheaper than buying a brand new one.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I don't remember which came first tbh, but I do recall recently reading an interview with Steve Vai somewhere where he stated that Ibanez sent him a 550 prototype, which he altered into what becaem the Jem. Nitpicking I know, but the implication is that the Jem is a signature 550, a different idea to the 550 being a low-end Jem.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh View Post
I don't remember which came first tbh, but I do recall recently reading an interview with Steve Vai somewhere where he stated that Ibanez sent him a 550 prototype, which he altered into what becaem the Jem. Nitpicking I know, but the implication is that the Jem is a signature 550, a different idea to the 550 being a low-end Jem.
If that were an accurate quote, I would agree. I have heard that story, but I definitely don't recall that it was specifically a "550 prototype". For that matter, the prototyping process took place more than a year before either model came out, so I don't know why it would have been called a "550 prototype" at that time anyway.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 03:30 PM

Go get a 550 reissue theirs the jem experience.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
If that were an accurate quote, I would agree. I have heard that story, but I definitely don't recall that it was specifically a "550 prototype". For that matter, the prototyping process took place more than a year before either model came out, so I don't know why it would have been called a "550 prototype" at that time anyway.
Yep, the story is indeed wrong, wish I couldremember where I read it. Did a little research and there is a good piece over on Vai.com that explains the Jem/RG dev process.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh View Post
Yep, the story is indeed wrong, wish I couldremember where I read it. Did a little research and there is a good piece over on Vai.com that explains the Jem/RG dev process.
Here's a noble thought:

http://www.jemsite.com/jem/20-ibanez...f-the-jem.html

I wonder where THAT could have been...?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 06:06 PM

i have a proto type rg 550....(yes it is or tell me what it is both are great guitars!you cant go wrong.buy what you like the most.because its expensive and it should be sorry if you buy something you dont really want....take your time!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode