Jem Curse?? Or just bad luck?? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Jem Curse?? Or just bad luck??

You may have read my other Post about my bridge sinking (just talked about my bridge sinking). My Jem is useless. I hate ****ing with the floyd rose for hours a day just to play. Im considering trading for a Yngwie Malmsteen Strat. If you want to start flaming go ahead

-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 01:57 AM

:-)

Gee that's mature... Did you try the ideas on Jemsite about setting up your bridge? And stretching out your strings? You should have no problem doing it, but if you don't get it right, take it to a shop! It doesn't cost that much to have a setup done on a guitar, and it oughtta come back intonated and fun to play. As someone who owns an Yngwie Strat, i can tell you the guitar is inferior to a properly set-up Jem. Well, it's different anyway...I have a tendency to push notes sharp due to the scalloped fingerboard. Anyway, check around your area for instrument repair shops or guitar shops that do setups, and see what it would cost to do a setup on a floyd-style system. If you do it, and you ain't got the patience to deal with the ins and outs of the tremolo system on there, then maybe the guitar is just more than you are ready for, in which case, you can go to the Swedish Meatball strat and leave the bridge slammed to the body so you can just throw any strings you want on there in minutes. However, the Yngwie strat does come with his preference for strings...which are .008's. If you prefer to go heavier on the string guages, your gonna have to tighten the trem springs and have the truss rod adjusted (because of the amount of wood missing from the scalloping, the neck is more sensitive to bowing forward...mine did!) AND have it intonated for whatever guage string you like...just like it sounds like you need to do with your Jem... And some shops will charge more to widen the nut slots to accomodate the thicker strings because the Malmsteen Strat has a brass nut. A final point is that between my assortment of "floyd-style" guitars with locking nuts and fine tuner bridges, and my Malmsteen Strat, I have more problems with keeping the Malmsteen in tune than any guitar. It's just the nature of stringed instruments that the strings stretch and create friction and catch at different points...we all learn to deal with it and through trial and error, we get it right... Otherwise take up the saxophone or tuba, and wig out over mouth pieces and reeds instead...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

Okay.......this is the deal. I already had the strings stretched, intonated, tuned, and had the bridge set by a professional. Still keeps coming out of tune every 3 notes i play. About the Yngwie Strat. I would use .008's. I hate guitars that the string tension is unbelievably tight. Sorry for sounding like a "Baby." Im looking for a guitar that i can plug in and shred! Not a guitar that i have to plug in tune, if it's not in tune, tune it with the fine tuners, if the string is flat and the tuners are as tight as they go i have to loosen the locking nut and tune with the real tuners then the bridge is raised, ect....... I hope people don't think less of me because of this. It's just that i want a simple guitar. Well start flamming again..lol
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 03:29 AM

A lot of the 'regulars' seem to be avoiding this thread as a waste of time, which it probably is, but I have to stand up for Floyd.

I've been using lo-pro bridges for about 10 years now. I play hard - my picking is hard, my fretting is hard. I'm not shy with the bar. Most of my gigs have an average of 3 hours playing time.

It's very very rare that I need to tune the guitar during a gig. If anything, my high-E string might drop a little, other than that it stays in tune - even gig to gig - a lot of times i show up after not having played for a few days and the damn thing is still in tune.

My ears are super-sensitive to pitch and out-of-tune guitars - I can tell when a keyboard is tuned to A442 instead of A440 byhearing one note. If all lo-pro bridges were as awful as you say yours is, I wouldn't still be playing on them. i doubt anybody would.

Your Jem is F*d up. Try another one, rather than having the one you have fixed (if you have indeed had it set up professionally). If a different one behaves the same way, by all means, go buy the YJM strat. Enjoy.

~K
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 03:38 AM

Put your Jem up for auction on ebay and buy another. I've got 2 Jems and a 555, and the 555 even stays in tune. Something's wrong with your guitar me thinks. Or you could replace a couple things on it and turn it into a project guitar. The guy who owned the 555 before me installed a screw under the trem to keep it from recessing. I've since taken it out and nothing's wrong with it. Thought about a tremsetter maybe?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 04:51 AM

I want to flame this time. LOL. Okay bud when setup properly, a floyd rose vibrato bar, no matter how cheap will stay in tune indefinitely. If you switch tunings that is a hassle we havent been able to overcome, but thats why I own 9 guitars *Or at least how I justify my G.a.s. problems. Your knife edges are dull, or you nuts, loose, or your saddles are slipping, *or your using slinkys*. Either way, its not the guitars fault, its the setup
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 09:22 AM

U have problem with your axe my freind.
Buy a new one, and don't switch to Fender! Take it from us, those types of problems are almost unheard of on Jems....U did have some bad luck.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 09:29 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
no good can come of this thread. curb the profanity also... glen
Closed Thread

Tags
floyd rose , guitar shop , locking nut , locking nuts , malmsteen strat , string guage , string guages , string tension , trem springs , tremolo system , truss rod , yjm strat , yngwie malmsteen , yngwie strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

how to play sweet lady luck
is Internet a blessing or a curse

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode