Jem Custom Shop?? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Jem Custom Shop??

Reading through this forum at some of the outrageous / brilliant ideas (ie The Universe Universe etc etc)........isn't it about time Ibanez started an online custom shop similar to the Wolgang thing over at Peavey? I can just imagine some of the pics being posted!!

Imagine......pink sparkle burst body, brown scratch-plate, Lo-TRS trem with a snake inlay like the old RG's.............WELL I CAN DREAM CAN'T I!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 03:24 PM

Reviews: 1
It'll probably/surely never happen, but just the online computerprogramm would be cool already! Still got some great ideas...
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, it's probably time but as Mr. Vai has total control over each JEM model that's released it's not going to happen any time soon in my opinion. If you want to post up your JEM ideas, find one of the old relevent threads in this area, but please don't post them in the comments to Ibanez section, or start a new thread here.
jono is online  
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 04:54 PM
deleted username

Re: Jem Custom Shop??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markie Boy
Reading through this forum at some of the outrageous / brilliant ideas (ie The Universe Universe etc etc)........isn't it about time Ibanez started an online custom shop similar to the Wolgang thing over at Peavey?
Custom JEM is like saying "custom hot rod". It's sort of redundant. Besides, Ibanez can't do anything to the JEM line (or any signature line) without the consent of the respective artist. Sure, there are lots of good ideas, but SSV needs to bring them to Ibanez.
Quote:
...Lo-TRS trem,
Suggesting any kind of TRS trem on a JEM on this site will get the thread closed faster than Rosie O'Donnell on a ham sandwich.
Quote:
...with a snake inlay like the old RG's
Ummm...what old RG's had a snake inlay?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

The snake inlay was on a limited edition run of RG550DXs for a store in the UK called "Musical Exchanges". There's a thread somewhere here, on it. If you don't come across it Kev, I'll mail you the pic tomorrow when I get home
jono is online  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 05:05 PM

This is the pic, guys:

More detailed pic:
http://www.tubaraodesigns.hpg.com.br/550snake.jpg

See Ya'....
Tubarão
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 05:13 PM
deleted username

Now I remember why I forgot about that one (thanks for the link Tubarao).
Here's the original thread:
http://www.jemsite.insomnia-vhosting...ic.php?t=14944

When he said "on the old RG's", I was thinking old RG's- 1986-199x era.
Re-issues and custom shop jobbies didn't come to mind.

Thanks for the help Jono. I think I'll pass on the pic offer though. Once is enough. :-P
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Anyone know the difference between EVH's Peavey arrangement and SSV's Ibanez arrangement......presumably it's based solely upon the 'let's make lot's of cash theory.......Wouldn't the argument be that the components that constitute the guitar are approved by (in this case) Stevie, but the option to colour co-ordinate etc icould be down to the individual.

This thing about Stevie approving is a bit thin after the 555 / 333 / 111 stories, so a more acceptable way of making even more cash would be to offer this?

......just playing devils advocate and the name's Jack Butler!!!!!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 09:32 AM
site founder 0% owner

Vai has final approval over the JEM line. Ibanez does not have the capability or desire to setup a "custom shop" for customers. I personally don't see how it could be profitable or successful... barring major changes and exorbitant pricing.

They've been there, and done that, in the early 90s... glen
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Glen - Didn't know they'd already looked at having a custom shop.

I guess I'll never see a Sparkle finish with a brown scratchplate........
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 10:11 AM
site founder 0% owner

if you missed this "ibanez custom shop" info on jemsite
http://www.jemsite.com/usa/usa.htm
... glen
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 11:41 AM
deleted username

Quote:
Anyone know the difference between EVH's Peavey arrangement and SSV's Ibanez arrangement
Yep- Steve knows, and Ibanez knows. That's it. Oh wait, Pia might know.
None of us here do. Plenty of guesses though.

Quote:
......presumably it's based solely upon the 'let's make lot's of cash theory.......
Isn't that the theory surrounding ALL business deals?

Quote:
Wouldn't the argument be that the components that constitute the guitar are approved by (in this case) Stevie, but the option to colour co-ordinate etc icould be down to the individual.
Good question. Some companies (that make non-pointy guitars) do simply offer their signature models as a different paint job, or a simple pickup change. Ibanez, on the other hand, gives the artist 110% control over their signature line- this includes what components go in it, the colors, the inlay, all of the aspects of the guitar.

Quote:
This thing about Stevie approving is a bit thin after the 555 / 333 / 111 stories, so a more acceptable way of making even more cash would be to offer this?
Actually, if you think about it, it's a smart thing to do. Ever price a VWH in the US then price one in the UK. Ask a few members here for VWH pricing in London. You'll understand why they (Ibanez and Steve) came up with the cheaper models. It's so those in higher priced markets can still afford a signature instrument. Makes good sense to me- get them in a sig. model, they'll tend to stick with that, and their next purchase will probably be the model above...and so on. Folks can bash the 555 all they want, but if you lived in Indonesia and made $3000/yr, a 555 would look like EVO.

I don't know what the hell the 111 is.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan
Quote:
Anyone know the difference between EVH's Peavey arrangement and SSV's Ibanez arrangement
Yep- Steve knows, and Ibanez knows. That's it. Oh wait, Pia might know.
None of us here do. Plenty of guesses though.
In fact Steve and Pia and Ibanez probably don't know the difference between Steve's deal and Eddie's deal. There might be some lawyers who know, or maybe even Steve and Eddie have talked about it But Kevan's right in truth, none of us know for sure, cos none of us have read the exact terms of the signed contracts.
jono is online  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan
I don't know what the hell the 111 is.
I don't even really want to know.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 02:11 PM

Aside from actual monetary values, eddie explained his deal with Peavey in pretty good detail in that issue of guitar world when the wolfgang was in prototype stage. Basically eddie owns the guitar, and if he leaves, the wolfgang goes with him. Id like more specifics about steves deal, but just because Im curious.

Tags
custom jem , custom shop , ibanez custom shop , jack butler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode