JEM Ebony fingerboard/Alder body - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

 9Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 10
JEM Ebony fingerboard/Alder body

stupid question, but I can't find any confirmations online...

Was the JEM7v the first JEM to feature the ebony fingerboard and alder body?
thx!
m.
eddyrox is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 11:22 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: atlanta, ga
Posts: 507
Reviews: 6
Re: JEM Ebony fingerboard/Alder body

yes...d.m.
eddyrox likes this.
diablomozart is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: England
Posts: 6,989
Reviews: 1
Re: JEM Ebony fingerboard/Alder body

Yep, debuting in 1993, it was also the first one to have the AANJ.
eddyrox likes this.
jono is online  
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 10
Re: JEM Ebony fingerboard/Alder body

thx guys! i was able to confirm the alder (basswood veneer) and ebony fb on vai's website (for Ibanez guitars):

"1993 saw the introduction of one of the most popular Jems yet, the Jem 7WH. This Jem was a huge evolutionary step for the Jem. All previous production Jems were made of basswood, but the 7WH had an alder body. The DiMarzio PAF Pro humbucking pickups were replaced in this model by high-output DiMarzio Evolution pickups designed with Steve. The fingerboard was ebony instead of rosewood or maple, and the guitar featured pearl/abalone inlays and gold hardware."

(cool that the Dimarzio Evolutions also debuted on the 7vwh)

AANJ too? wow -> i really love the AANJ! (the standard squared body joint is very cool though...love the JEM neck plate w S/N)

Fair to say that the JEM7VWH = the most refined of the JEMs?
m.
eddyrox is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 06:29 PM
 
WMerkert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Munich/Bavaria
Posts: 1,176
Cool Re: JEM Ebony fingerboard/Alder body

It's a fine guitar. I have a '94 and it is my "daily driver" since over 20 years now. Great player. Maintenance was only changing strings and sometimes cleaning and a little bit oiling the fretboard. Wish i had a car that is so cheap in maintenance for over 20 years.
Cheers !

Wolfgang
eddyrox likes this.
WMerkert is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 10
Re: JEM Ebony fingerboard/Alder body

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMerkert View Post
It's a fine guitar. I have a '94 and it is my "daily driver" since over 20 years now. Great player. Maintenance was only changing strings and sometimes cleaning and a little bit oiling the fretboard. Wish i had a car that is so cheap in maintenance for over 20 years.
Cheers !

Wolfgang
thank you Wolfgang!
I have a 2001, and while she is not "quite" that daily driver (i have a 8520SDE for that), it is super comforting to know that these ebony FB/LPE 7VH's are soooo durable
eddyrox is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 06:53 PM
 
WMerkert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Munich/Bavaria
Posts: 1,176
Wink Re: JEM Ebony fingerboard/Alder body

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyrox View Post
thank you Wolfgang!
I have a 2001, and while she is not "quite" that daily driver (i have a 8520SDE for that), it is super comforting to know that these ebony FB/LPE 7VH's are soooo durable
Yep, she will still exist during i am ten feet under ground. (-;

Cheers !
eddyrox likes this.
WMerkert is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 11:11 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 255
Re: JEM Ebony fingerboard/Alder body

I've got a 1994 7VWH, it was my main live guitar from 2005 until an accident last month where the neck split. I don't know about the most refined Jem but the only significant move forward with the newer models is the volute at the back of the neck behind the nut, same volute that was designed prevent the neck split that happened on my guitar. I haven't played any recent 7V's with Rosewood fretboard (not since before I bought own 7V), my 1994 guitar is a beautiful instrument though, but I definitely think there is room for improvement.

Honestly the Edge/Lo-Pro trem can be improved, the pop in trem arm is nice but

1. The trem-arm bushings wear out very quickly if you remove the arm a lot, and you kinda need to if you want to put the guitar back in the case. After a while you will develop a lot of play in the trem if you don't address it, it would be nice if removing/replacing the trem arm didn't wear down the bushes so much but it's integral to the design. The bushes aren't cheap either, the prices on them are robbery.

2. The Trem arm holder has a tendency to work itself loose and when it does it can be very difficult to get it to stay again, causing the trem to have play in the socket holder. I dealt with that issue for years on my 7V before I finally fixed it properly, thankfully it hasn't shown up on the 777 yet. When I eventually broke the 7V's trem arm socket holder last year (years of hard use) it took a few of attempts before I finally got the new socket to stop working loose.

They could improve the pop in design in a way that could be retrofitted quite easily, I still prefer it to the Floyd Rose screw design but I think systems such as the Gotoh 1996 could be used as inspiration. Aside from that the Jem could come with a Sustainiac neck pickup, we've been saying it for years and though Steve uses them extensively he refuses have them put on the guitars. On top of that the Jems could really benefit from having stainless steel frets, I'm already beginning to notice visible fret wear on my 2 year old 30th Anniversary Jem 777, if you play the guitars a lot then SS frets are a godsend.
Hoseki and eddyrox like this.
BigBazz is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 11:39 AM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,610
Re: JEM Ebony fingerboard/Alder body

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
I've got a 1994 7VWH, it was my main live guitar from 2005 until an accident last month where the neck split. I don't know about the most refined Jem but the only significant move forward with the newer models is the volute at the back of the neck behind the nut, same volute that was designed prevent the neck split that happened on my guitar. I haven't played any recent 7V's with Rosewood fretboard (not since before I bought own 7V), my 1994 guitar is a beautiful instrument though, but I definitely think there is room for improvement.

Honestly the Edge/Lo-Pro trem can be improved, the pop in trem arm is nice but

1. The trem-arm bushings wear out very quickly if you remove the arm a lot, and you kinda need to if you want to put the guitar back in the case. After a while you will develop a lot of play in the trem if you don't address it, it would be nice if removing/replacing the trem arm didn't wear down the bushes so much but it's integral to the design. The bushes aren't cheap either, the prices on them are robbery.

2. The Trem arm holder has a tendency to work itself loose and when it does it can be very difficult to get it to stay again, causing the trem to have play in the socket holder. I dealt with that issue for years on my 7V before I finally fixed it properly, thankfully it hasn't shown up on the 777 yet. When I eventually broke the 7V's trem arm socket holder last year (years of hard use) it took a few of attempts before I finally got the new socket to stop working loose.

They could improve the pop in design in a way that could be retrofitted quite easily, I still prefer it to the Floyd Rose screw design but I think systems such as the Gotoh 1996 could be used as inspiration. Aside from that the Jem could come with a Sustainiac neck pickup, we've been saying it for years and though Steve uses them extensively he refuses have them put on the guitars. On top of that the Jems could really benefit from having stainless steel frets, I'm already beginning to notice visible fret wear on my 2 year old 30th Anniversary Jem 777, if you play the guitars a lot then SS frets are a godsend.
The volute is there because the necks are no longer scarf joint but are laminate and have 3 [or 5 if you wish] pieces of wood that run the length of the neck instead of splitting at the nut with a separate headstock piece.

If you haven't learned to flame the bushing to distort them and tighten them up again, and again, and again until you finally need to replace them then you haven't been paying very close attention to the forum. It's been publicly shared for years now.

And when the holder tube becomes loose it only has to be tightened right once, instructions have been in my tech section for 15 years. Most people try and use a screwdriver and use the slots in the top to tighten it which is just never going to work and you'll probably just end up putting a big scratch on the trem when you slip.

Otherwise, if I had to guess, Steve is finally putting the sustainer in the production model, like Joe did years ago. In fact I bet Joe $1 that within 2 years Steve would release one in the JEM. Looks like I owe Joe a $1 as it's taken alot longer, if that is what is coming.
Rich is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 11:58 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 255
Re: JEM Ebony fingerboard/Alder body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The volute is there because the necks are no longer scarf joint but are laminate and have 3 [or 5 if you wish] pieces of wood that run the length of the neck instead of splitting at the nut with a separate headstock piece.

If you haven't learned to flame the bushing to distort them and tighten them up again, and again, and again until you finally need to replace them then you haven't been paying very close attention to the forum. It's been publicly shared for years now.

And when the holder tube becomes loose it only has to be tightened right once, instructions have been in my tech section for 15 years. Most people try and use a screwdriver and use the slots in the top to tighten it which is just never going to work and you'll probably just end up putting a big scratch on the trem when you slip.

Otherwise, if I had to guess, Steve is finally putting the sustainer in the production model, like Joe did years ago. In fact I bet Joe $1 that within 2 years Steve would release one in the JEM. Looks like I owe Joe a $1 as it's taken alot longer, if that is what is coming.
Volute : And as a side effect the neck is much stronger with this design, and cracks are much less common than the old scarf joint necks. Also you could argue the necks are 7 piece, since the headstock itself has 2 additional pieces of wood, that annoys me with the newer guitars because it's quite ugly to look at.

Bushings : Nail varnish, wrapping string packet liner inside the bushings... I've done a lot of stuff to extend them over the years, that doesn't mean you can't improve it or move it forward by using a different design (like the Gotoh 1996 as mentioned).

Socket : Yeah it can be fixed, but it's a common problem that can end up plaguing a lot of players. It took me a lot of attempts to get it to hold when I replaced it last year... Again a problem that doesn't exist at all with other trem models, definitely something that can be improved.

We're talking improvements here, I'm not saying there aren't solutions to these issues but that doesn't mean that design improvements wouldn't be a better option. Be nice if the trem bushings were less than £15 for 5p worth of plastic.
BigBazz is offline  
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 12:07 PM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,610
Re: JEM Ebony fingerboard/Alder body

If they changed the design of the push in bar I bet there would be more push back than push forward. It's been like that for 35 years for a reason. Flaming the bushings is the only good fix, I've tried all the rest and none of them make sense, and now that they've increased their diameter you're just asking for trouble.

The problem with the tube is it's rarely tight when new which just means at some point it will become loose. Again, an easy fix.

If you think there are no problems with the arm torque on other trem systems you're not reading many reviews.
The TPS Report likes this.
Rich is offline  
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 07:55 AM
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 5,752
Re: JEM Ebony fingerboard/Alder body

No. Proline PR1440 and PR1660 in 1985.
Takin' a Ride is offline  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 09:12 PM
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Pembroke Pines,Florida
Posts: 27
Re: JEM Ebony fingerboard/Alder body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post



Otherwise, if I had to guess, Steve is finally putting the sustainer in the production model
Is this the big news he was talking about that will be shown at this coming NAMM show?
Evil Z06 is offline  
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 09:53 PM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,610
Re: JEM Ebony fingerboard/Alder body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Z06 View Post
Is this the big news he was talking about that will be shown at this coming NAMM show?
A guess is just that.
Rich is offline  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 09:56 PM
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Pembroke Pines,Florida
Posts: 27
Re: JEM Ebony fingerboard/Alder body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
A guess is just that.
Cool....I have always wondered why the sustainiac was never offered on his Sig. JEM 7V
Evil Z06 is offline  
Reply

Tags
jem ebony alder

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome