Jem fixer upperer - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Jem fixer upperer

I'd be interested to hear what you all think of this Jem that I got my hands on.

I bought a Jem of my girlfriends neighbour - it was nasty. Started fixing it up, found out that the neck was warped beyond repair. Best thing that could have happened to it!

I replaced the tremolo and tuners, and had a local luthier build a custom neck with rosewood fretboard and maple inlays. I got an aftermarket pickguard so that I could ditch the middle pickup - I feel like they get in the way. It's back at the luthier now getting some finishing touches around playability, but I like how it's come out.

I'll drop one picture here, but for the full picture of the transformation here's the imgur album.

http://imgur.com/a/DzMqC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 02:15 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: Jem fixer upperer

That's really a nice look ice monster. Your luthier did a nice looking job on the neck....... it's almost elegant.

DO you still have the original neck? If you do, I'd like a shot at fixing the "unfixable". Would you consider selling it?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 07:29 PM

i am in love..
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
That's really a nice look ice monster. Your luthier did a nice looking job on the neck....... it's almost elegant.

DO you still have the original neck? If you do, I'd like a shot at fixing the "unfixable". Would you consider selling it?
It actually never came back from the luthier - I could ask if he still has it floating around though.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_monsta View Post
It actually never came back from the luthier - I could ask if he still has it floating around though.
That would be cool man.....Let me know what you find out and THANK YOU for checking into it
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 02:17 AM
Banned

Ice_monsta lovely guitar!, just a question, is this "Ibanez" logo on the headstock made by the luthier? Did he build the neck from scratch? Admittedly this is a lovely neck. I was just wandering about the legitimacy! (just by looking at it arghhh this GAS is coming again....)
edit :
ooops i found out, the decal is from ebay. Very cool looking!

Last edited by panix; 12-21-2014 at 02:21 AM. Reason: oopss i just found out
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 03:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
Ice_monsta lovely guitar!, just a question, is this "Ibanez" logo on the headstock made by the luthier? Did he build the neck from scratch? Admittedly this is a lovely neck. I was just wandering about the legitimacy! (just by looking at it arghhh this GAS is coming again....)
edit :
ooops i found out, the decal is from ebay. Very cool looking!
The decal in the album is from ebay, but that was on the original warped neck. The logo on the headstock of the finished guitar is from the luthier (and it's wooden the same as the inlays). I have a feeling that Ibanez might not like that it's been done unofficially, but It would have looked ridiculous with anything else on the headstock!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 03:31 AM
Banned

Just curious, was the original neck warped in the sense of having an up bow or abnormal relief? Or was it twisted? How many pieces laminate was it?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
Just curious, was the original neck warped in the sense of having an up bow or abnormal relief? Or was it twisted? How many pieces laminate was it?
It was a while ago that it was described. It was an outward bow up to the fifth fret then an inward bow the other way from memory. Also, whilst I was with the luthier the tiniest of truss rod adjustments snapped the headstock from the neck at the join. He reglued that, but afterwards was when he said he'd done his best with the neck it wasn't going to cut it considering the amount I had spent on the new floyd rose trem. Up to around the 7th fret was playable then it got a huge gap until about the 18th fret. So it kind of bowed in the middle but from the headstock to the 5th ish was kind of bowing outward as well.

Not sure about the laminate sorry.

I'm surprised at the amount of attention the old neck is getting!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

I checked in with the luthier - he still has the original neck. So I'll grab that when I pick up the guitar again. Will be able to answer all from there
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_monsta View Post
I checked in with the luthier - he still has the original neck. So I'll grab that when I pick up the guitar again. Will be able to answer all from there
Cool, If you decide you want to sell it- let me know.......I'm really interested in trying to fix it.

Tags
jem , repaint , restoration

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode