jem fret-wear - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2002, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

jem fret-wear

i was looking @ a JACKSON fansite forum page & some di*k
was saying to another poster that if you played an Ibanez everyday for 2 years the frets would be so damaged you would need a fret-job done within the next 6 months?where as his guitars (presumably jackson) would be fine for the next 10 years or so......hmmmm i have played Ibanez 6 strings for *15 years (jem 's a shocking pink777 & a RootBeer7)
the frets are onlt ever sooo slight & i mean hardly even noticeabley worn (like cant even see even with a magnifying glass) it reallly amazes me to see how ****
other brandendorsees are (how much they paying em to say this?) apart from the blazer 1 i bought in 86 (2nd hand* -frets where already whanged & banged up)-& also have a gibson LesPaul standard 89 model & the frets are just whoa completley ef'd up ,what i want to know is how many JEM players have experienced fret denting on there jems & exactly how long did this take to occur?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2002, 11:15 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
jem fret-wear

on Jemsiteforum, we don't call people names even if they're wrong

Most guitars use similar fretwire, and the Dunlop-style fretwire is pretty durable... glen
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2002, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

jem fret-wear

eeeeek i am sorry about da name calling ! ,please accept my humble appolgies* hittting back of hand*
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 07:06 AM

jem fret-wear

When my pal took his new JS100 to his tech to have a fret crown (they came kinda flat), the tech commented on how soft the frets were. *Softer than the ones on his old Radius that had been stolen, which itself supposedly had softer frets than real Dunlops. *Techspeak just to try to get a refret job? *You make the call...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 09:54 AM

jem fret-wear

Well, I've had my DBK for a couple months and I can already see fret wear on 2nd fret under the G-string!
I'm a little concerned here. Thanks for starting this thread - I though it was just me. I'd be really interested in others observations on this....
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 12:06 PM
rvj

jem fret-wear

I've got an 1987 777DY that I bought used, and it has no fret wear at all. My 7VWH which I've had for two years and have played extensively, also shows no sign of wear. My DNA and UV77MC never get played, therefore I can't compare those two. Sounds like that guy is a Jackson fan who wants to cut down Ibanez. To each his own, I guess. *--rvj
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 12:08 PM

jem fret-wear

I have an 88 DY that I got used about a yr ago, it already had quite a bit of pitting on the first 5 or so frets and the others were quite worn. *Doesn't really affect playability, but a refret is in the near future.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 05:10 PM

jem fret-wear

I have owned a few Ibanez guitars over the years, my first being an old Roadstar II, then a S450bk and now a Jem7DBK. I didn't have the roadstar long enough for it to get worn but my 450 does show a good bit of fret wear. The thing is that I LIKE it like that ... I can get the action down that much farther because of it. When I let my friends play it they always notice the action first. It's fast, it's low and it's mean. As yet the DBK has shown no sign of wear at all.

Yes, some older models may have 'soft(er)' frets ... *shrugs* ... no skin off my nose.

LJ

(Edited by Patrick Deno at 11:12 pm on Feb. 6, 2002)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 11:35 PM

jem fret-wear

okay, I'm about to become the laughing stock of the forum.

I have been playing guitar for 16 years. *I am 22 now, and I've owned a jem (777vbk) for 10 years, it has served me well. *But I have no freakin idea what you guys mean when you say..."fretwear". *I guess I never really worried about it, which is why I don't really know how to catagorize it. *Is it when the wood on the neck starts to turn pink (i.e, a neck that once looks almost black starts to look 'faded' - not as dark), or are we talking about frets that are actually start to indent?
Can someone help me out here? :help:

2nd question? *How do you go about getting a fretjob on your Jem; what do they have to do? *Will that mess up the vine?

Please, stop laughing at me! *I can hear y'all from here! * *Seriously, someone help me out here! LOL
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

jem fret-wear

*LMAO* yep i ment the dents /pitting that the metal fretwire sustains after years of abuse.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 05:28 AM

jem fret-wear

I've had my frets recrowned 3 years ago. Need new frets now. My frets are like, REAAAALLY small. Almost got myself a fretless if I take some sandpaper to em for like 10-20 minutes.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

jem fret-wear

i would be most keen to hear little green mans oppinion on this "fretwear" matter oh !btw~ LGM your site rocks your work is superb am seriously thinking of sending you my boring old rootbeeer dot neck
for some glow in the dark whippet hound paw print inlays !

Tags
ibanez guitars , playing guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode