Ibanez JEM Forum banner

JEM ID?

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  AttillaDeHunt 
#1 · (Edited)
This guitar was recently given to me by a family member. I've tried to ID it here on the site and elsewhere, but I don't know much about JEMs. It doesn't seem to match any of the models perfectly, and the serial number looks to be a digit longer than any other number I've seen. It has a Floyd Rose instead of the Edge trem as well. The lighting in the pictures isn't great, but the hardware is all gold (in desperate need of a polish). My guess is that its a fake because of the serial number, but I dunno. Its been sitting for quite some years. Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I looked at the first pic, and there it is. The second word is wrong. Should say "Made BY" but it says "Made DY". Pretty much all the farther you gotta go. Every once in a while one of these turned out kinda playable, maybe you got lucky. If not, you ain't out anything, right? Great guitar to experiment with doing your own maintenance on, if you think about it. So there is a semi-bright side. It is funny, too, that the serial # is SOOOO close to a number I have seen before, ya know? Oh yeah, I remember now...
Brown Guitar accessory Wood Musical instrument accessory Font

If I had not gotten my money back for these, and I mean I got ALL of it back, that would have been hard to live with. There are actually 4, only 3 are pictured. ONE out of the 4 actually plays decent, & it's still crap!
Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument String instrument accessory

#7 ·
A quick dead give-away is the TRS-101 style tremolo instead of the Edge or Edge Lo-Pro Trem and the contoured heel on the back of the neck. It is not flush to the rounded AANJ of the body. Usually, the first thing noticeable is the monkey grip. It's almost always never the correct size or placement. But, I agree with some of the comments. If is satisfactory for playing around with, then go ahead and hang on to it. If not, then I'd have some fun demolishing it.

#8 ·
A "see it from a distance" give-away is often the screws position, or lack of position, on the pickguard, specifically on the lower cut-away body contour. That one is noticeable from across the room.

Now, if you are gonna destroy it, just be careful not to take yourself out with the debris in the process!
Many a guitar-smasher has been injured by the axe that bites back, LOL!

#10 ·
I don't see how talking about it is gonna help them, after all, they have as much access to a real one as anyone else, and they can always look at a good photo of a guitar, and if they were really paying attention there are small things that they would not have missed to begin with. How is it that with the available pics of axes and replacement parts, they can STILL not get the screw pattern even close, or the right number of them even, and you think discussing it is gonna help them? Personally, I think that some of the dolts making counterfeits are making some of the mistakes on purpose, because some of the mistakes are way too easy to change and be done the right way to begin with. But as to the question, No, I don't think it will help them, 'cause I don't think they care that much about it. But that's just my take on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.