JEM or JPM - which do you think is better and why? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

JEM or JPM - which do you think is better and why?

Hello, I'am about to buy a new guitar. I have narrowed it down to a JEM or a JPM, which axe do you think is better? I know there are differences like the neck or the pickup configuration, but what are some others and which do you think plays better and why. *Thanks in Advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 08:15 PM

JEM or JPM

This is a nasty question! I like it :biggrin:

I own a '90 77FP, a '99 7DBK and a JPM100P4, and I've been asking myself the same question for the last couple weeks. And the truth is I just can't seem to decide... The neck profile on my JPM was certainly more immediately comfortable than the slimmer profile on my DBK, and the Steve's Special and Air Norton give it a more defined, aggressive and altogether more modern sound than the PAF Pros in my 77FP, but don't quite have the attack and punch of the Breeds (to my ears, in my rig). Some days I revel in the effective simplicity of the JPM's minimalist three way switch, and others I grab one of the Jems because I need that middle pup. The 7DBK certainly has a "slicker", faster, and more fluid feel than the JPM's neck, but the trems - of course - are virtually indistinguishable from one another in feel and action... Ultimately my favorite tends to be which ever I am playing at the moment. If I had to decide on just one today - however - I would hold on to the JPM, simply because they are somewhat scarcer than Jems, especially current production models like the 7DBK.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 07:12 PM

Reviews: 2
JEM or JPM

I think both guitars play excellent and the only difference will be your personal preference on how the guitar feels in your hand. Not all Jems feel the same either. The best thing you could do is to sit down with the jem you'd like and the jpm and play until your fingers have chosen for you. Being that this is jemsite I am sure you would get alot of recommendations to go for the jem.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 09:42 PM

Reviews: 3
JEM or JPM

They are both expensive because they are essentially signature models... they are both not top of the line because they are/were production model Ibanez guitars... but they are still better than a good deal of guitars out there in a lot of ways.

Watch out, people like to charge a bundle for a JPM... in a lot of cases, you're paying $1500 for a $500 guitar. *Sound cool to you? *Not to me.

Play them both, then decide.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 09:47 PM

JEM or JPM

another note...

Remember, the P1-4 JPMs are still $500 guitars used (give or take)... don't let some greedy little treky tell you it's worth 10x that. *:biggrin:

If you can get either of these guitars... (JEM with an AANJ) for between $600 and $900 used and in playable condition... you're set.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 09:47 PM
Vendor

JEM or JPM

Jay, is that why you're trying to get $1000 for that $400 guitar? :biggrin: People what to get 'market price' no matter what they sell. 'Market' on JPM's is high now!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 09:49 PM

JEM or JPM

Rich, weren't you the one trying to buy it? *hahahahaha
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 09:53 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
JEM or JPM

You might want to search the forum archives on this, but to me personally the JPM is a standard RG overpriced by about $750 (maybe more if you overpay). The 2-2 pickup configuration means i'd never own one, and the graphics and Petrucci association also guarantees that.

I agree with what Jay says, although some would argue you overpay significantly for the JEMs too. The JEM is also an 'enhanced-RG', with a better neck and small details. Cosmetics are a personal thing. Personally the JEM offers more of a upgrade over the RG than the JPM does. I'd take a RG550 over a JPM hands-down.

But both of these are going to play alike, with a similar quality and feel. I don't recommend the JPM for anyone, because I think you'll stand out (in the negative way) if you are gigging with it in public. In a few years, this can be a real drawback. At least the JEMs have stood the test of time.

Ultimately, you should try them all, including the Prestige RGs and see what is best for YOU... glen
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 10:00 PM
Vendor

JEM or JPM

Most JPM's are in the hands of JP 'followers' who WANT to "Stand Out" that way!

Jay, not exactly, I'm a condition freak
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 10:21 PM

JEM or JPM

Well, some other guy bit on my P3 before you Rich... but....

"ok, he doesn't i will, just wanted to make sure it was cased."

Sure Rich...

(just giving you a hard time buddy)
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 10:24 PM
Vendor

JEM or JPM

I know, I was just giving it back
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 11:19 AM

JEM or JPM

As similar as JPMs/Jems are, I see this as an apples/oranges thing. Whenever I'm recording/gigging, I tend to reach for the JPM if I'm going to be doing heavy riffing or clean arpegiated parts. I find myself reaching for the Jems when I'm soloing and looking for funkier clean tones.

Most of guitars in the JPM series are pretty consistent (with the exception of the JPM90), but there are SO MANY different types of Jems that it really makes this type of comparison difficult. If you can at least narrow yourself down to a particular Jem that you're interested in, we could probably give you some finer points of comparison.

--Brent
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

JEM or JPM

That is a good point(never thought of that) Well, to be more specific I have played a JPM, but there are no JEM's(nor will there ever be unless I order one) at my local music store. I've heard from many people that the JEM is better then the JPM, but I was just wondering why. I loved the neck on the JPM(which I find much different then an RG neck) so I guess that is the main thing i was wondering about, the difference in the necks(to be more specific the 90HAM or 7VWH). Thanks.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 09:38 AM

JEM or JPM

My JPM is no more a $500 guitar than either of my Jems. What's the difference? Both have custom necks, custom finishes, and custom pups. Is my Jem worth $500 more for the sake of a monkey grip and lion's claw? I think not. What about the JPM's neck binding? What about the custom control layout and switching? The JPM's sweet - and whether you like Petrucci or not, denying the quality of the ax is foolish, imnot-so-ho...

:angry:
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
JEM or JPM

I personally think the JEM plays better, simply because the pickguard makes the playing position more comfortable for ME !!!

Tags
air norton , clean tone , custom necks , custom shop , custom shop guitar , ibanez guitars , jackson custom shop , jackson soloist , local music store , mahogany body , monkey grip , music store , neck binding , paf pro , paf pros , production model , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode