Jem Jr. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 6
Jem Jr.

I have knowledge of a Jem Jr. for sale nearby, and am thinking about making the purchase. What are the pluses and minuses of these guitars (I know about the bridge being lacklustre). Is the neck carve the same as a higher end Jem? How about the fretboard radius?

If I bought it, I would likely do the pickups and replace the trem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 09:24 AM

Re: Jem Jr.

The neck should be a run of the mill Wizard 2, same as any other Korean RG, with a partly upgraded inlay. The pickups should actually be Evolutions unless they've been previously replaced. Replacing the trem is a fine idea and all, but may not be as easy or seemless as it sounds. The thing people don't get is that it can be more than just the trem itself that's the problem. A good trem still has to be installed just right to operate at it's best, and this sometimes isn't feasible in a guitar that wasn't designed for it. Not to mention that it's a potentially expensive upgrade to a cheap guitar.

Everything here depends on the price of the guitar. If it's cheap enough, there's nothing really wrong with the purchase, but you shouldn't pay much more than you would for a used Korean RG in the same condition. A little extra for the pickups and that's about it.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 10:47 AM

A JEM-JR could be two things: the JEM555 or the 'JEM333' (the actual JEM-JR). Both are RG350s (Basswood, Wizard II neck, bottom end trem, made in Korea/Indonesia), but with the lion's claw and monkey grip. The 555 has Evos, pearloid pickguard and the half vine inlay; the 333 Infinities, plain pickguard and full dot inlay.

Either way, I wouldn't buy it unless it's about as expensive as a (used) RG350DX and you want to have something like a RG350DX If you would like to have a cheap JEM, I'd suggest you save your money for a good deal on a (used) higher end Ibanez RG (RG570, etc.).
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 6

It's got the partial vine and the pearloid pickguard. Price is $699 CAD. Realistically, for roughly the same money, I can buy a Christopher Woods kit, without paint et al. Good to know that it doesn't have the Jem neck though. That's pretty much a deal breaker for me.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 04:49 PM

Leave it and save up for an RG1550 or similar. It shouldn't be too hard to get a good deal on a new old stock RG with an EdgePro.

Pups are irrelevant if the trem is crap. Neck dimensions are irrelevant if it's not MIJ.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode