Jem Jr + Edge Install Question - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Jem Jr + Edge Install Question

Hi - I have a 2015 Jem Jr that I bought for the sake of modding. I now have Evos DP158 and DP159 installed instead of the stock pickups - a Dimarzio 5 way switch and push pull pots by way of electronics. The tuners were replaced by Graph Tech Ratios.

Now, I have a spare EDGE bridge in my drawer and went ahead and swapped it in but there seem to be issues:

1) Does not sit properly with the existing posts - seems to be slightly off

2) Due to #1, does not return to true zero, I have to do an extra tap to make it sit and stay at pitch

Now, here's what I plan to do next, need your thoughts:

1) Remove the existing posts

2) Widen the anchor hole to 11mm

OR

2) Find other studs that could work like the edge but fit in the existing anchors

3) Re-install bridge

Any thoughts?

Thanks a ton.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 04:38 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Jem Jr + Edge Install Question

you can't direct swap the Edge in the 555 (jem jr). wrong routing, etc.

Use an OFR such as the gotoh ge1996
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks - it's actually not the 555, it's the 2015 JemJr and the Edge seems to be fitting fine (no problems with the routing). It's the studs that seem to be an issue - it does not seat too well. Other than that there seem to be no friction with the cavity (which was the case in the 555 that I used to own earlier)
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 01:21 AM

Upgrade to the locking edge studs for sure. They will work better with the edge for sure. Did you have to make any changes to the cavity ? I would love to see pictures as im looking for a backup for my 7vwh and I really love the aesthetics of the jem jr. but I want to have the conveniences of the edge tremolo system.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks - I do have the locking studs - just need some luthier skills to get the old anchors out, enlarge the hole and put the EDGE anchors in.

I had to make NO changes to the cavity - nor scrape, sand anything (things I have had to do in the past with a JEM 555 body. I think it's a fantastic backup to the 7vWH (which I used to own until not too long ago)

Here's a link to pictures: https://goo.gl/photos/yQPy4pdLEnX2K3M3A

One of the pictures clearly shows how the knife edge slips down from the stud groove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1 View Post
Upgrade to the locking edge studs for sure. They will work better with the edge for sure. Did you have to make any changes to the cavity ? I would love to see pictures as im looking for a backup for my 7vwh and I really love the aesthetics of the jem jr. but I want to have the conveniences of the edge tremolo system.

Last edited by xperiate; 09-11-2016 at 07:31 PM.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 03:55 AM

Hi,

This is my first post here.

I have the same JEM JR (bought it a couple of weeks ago) and was also thinking about putting the trem of my RG548 in there and see if it would be worth the upgrade.

As far as I know the RG548 trem is an Edge also, am I correct?
I'll try to swap my trems tonight and take pictures, maybe they can help you.

From your pics it looks like something (inside the cavity maybe?) is pushing the trem away from the stud.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 04:34 PM

Reviews: 15

On a couple of your pics it looks like the front of the trem is right against the body. I wonder if that's where it's hanging up on you.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 06:19 PM

The tremolo is snagging on the edge of the cavity. You need a bit more clearance for the edge to fit and float probably. I can see it touching the edge of the cavity in one of those pictures.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 04:41 AM

I can report back that this is exactly what happened for me last night.
The corners of the Edge touch the cavity because it sits too close to the edge of the wood.

I wonder if the locking studs will push the trem back just enough for it to not touch the wood?
It looks like the diameter of these studs is bigger which should give the trem some extra clearance.....
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

True - it does appear closer to the front edge (near the pickguard) and even pinching the pickguard a bit. What I would add here is that it also seems to get closer to the edge because it slips from the left stud groove and falls downwards tilting the bridge to the right diagonal and therefore closer to the front edge.

Maybe the EDGE studs might fix this but it seems like a lot of work - thinking of just dropping the idea of the edge bridge and instead going back to stock bridge or getting a Gotoh GE1996T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franc View Post
The corners of the Edge touch the cavity because it sits too close to the edge of the wood.

I wonder if the locking studs will push the trem back just enough for it to not touch the wood?
It looks like the diameter of these studs is bigger which should give the trem some extra clearance.....

Last edited by xperiate; 09-14-2016 at 11:26 AM.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 11:41 AM

Or just save your money and buy a used 7vwh.
The cost of upgrading one of these with bridge, tuners and pickups added into the original cost of the guitar. Is almost the cost of a used jem 7vwh and then you have the real thing.
It's a fun project and if you have the parts laying around anyway then it makes sense. Otherwise I think I would save my pennies.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireman24 View Post
Or just save your money and buy a used 7vwh.
Already have one

Quote:
The cost of upgrading one of these with bridge, tuners and pickups added into the original cost of the guitar. Is almost the cost of a used jem 7vwh and then you have the real thing.
It's a fun project and if you have the parts laying around anyway then it makes sense. Otherwise I think I would save my pennies.
Agreed. It's not about the money - it's just a fun guitar to mod on the cheap and feel good about a customization. What's the fun in a factory shiny piece - unless you want to hang it on the wall.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 12:53 PM

I just mentioned it because I know alot of people are buying these just try and make them into a 7vwh.
That just seems like a waste of time and money
I think what your doing is cool with diffentt pickups and you already had the parts.
Really making it your own.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireman24 View Post
I just mentioned it because I know alot of people are buying these just try and make them into a 7vwh.

That just seems like a waste of time and money
Yup - that would be a waste of time and money. 2 very different guitars!

Quote:
I think what your doing is cool with diffentt pickups and you already had the parts.
Really making it your own.
Yes - already have the parts sitting in a drawer from previous builds and teardowns and some parts that I grabbed for a song on evilbay.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franc View Post

Spot on. Wondering how to do this without any real woodworking skills - hah!

Tags
555 , edge , jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode