JEM Jr or JEM70VSFG, what would you do? - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Re: JEM Jr or JEM70VSFG, what would you do?

The only reasons I am considering a JEM Jr. are: it is white, non-maple fingerboard, cosmo black hardware, and it is cheap. AS I said in the original post, I would replace the pickups and probably all of the other electronics. Over time (if not sooner) I would replace the bridge. If I could get a black Edge or if an Original Floyd Rose would fit without issue, then I would replace all the hardware with black hardware (nut, tuners, screws, etc.). Granted, over time I would have at least doubled what the JEM Jr. cost new but it would be the way I would want it.

But in the case of the JEM70P SFG my main gripe would be chrome hardware but I wouldn't change a thing.

And as this discussion continues, the JEM70P is probably the direction I will ultimately go. Again, I will probably wait until after NAMM 2019...which it turns out I will be attending! \m/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 11:26 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearBoxTy View Post
The only reasons I am considering a JEM Jr. are: it is white, non-maple fingerboard, cosmo black hardware, and it is cheap. AS I said in the original post, I would replace the pickups and probably all of the other electronics. Over time (if not sooner) I would replace the bridge. If I could get a black Edge or if an Original Floyd Rose would fit without issue, then I would replace all the hardware with black hardware (nut, tuners, screws, etc.). Granted, over time I would have at least doubled what the JEM Jr. cost new but it would be the way I would want it.

But in the case of the JEM70P SFG my main gripe would be chrome hardware but I wouldn't change a thing.

And as this discussion continues, the JEM70P is probably the direction I will ultimately go. Again, I will probably wait until after NAMM 2019...which it turns out I will be attending! \m/
If you don't want to wait (possibly forever getting cold feet) AND you won't buy used MIJ just get the SFG. This thread is a bit off the rails with analogies but you should learn from others... when you buy something new but inadequate (the Jr) already planning to spend $ on countless upgrades you're expectations are unlikely to be met and you'll have wasted $$$$ on an axe. Adding insult to injury the axe has no resale value and is a money pit that you have no connection with since it's a frustrating mess. Then pouring salt on the wounds after you spent more time an $ than you planned the wood dries (non-uniformly as it's the cheapest of sh!t) the fretboard & neck is all out of whack.

Good luck!
GearBoxTy likes this.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

I know it has gotten a little off the rails but my intention was to get everyone's input on which one would they get: JEM Jr. or JEM70P SFG?
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
The only reasons I am considering a JEM Jr. are: it is white, non-maple fingerboard, cosmo black hardware, and it is cheap. /
Your use of the word "cheap" as you used above is exactly why this thread has become so convoluted. A Jem jr. is indeed cheap by most people's standards. But when you even just start with the upgrades you mentioned, "cheap" no longer applies. If you ask most people should I buy a regular RG vs. a Premium or Prestige, the answer (going by other past threads) will almost always be Premium or Prestige. And that is really the question you asked.

But if you really want a guitar that is white, non-maple fingerboard, cosmo black hardware, and it is cheap, why not buy an RG with those things, cut out the monkey grip and then apply upgrades? That meets your requirements. And yes I am being serious. There were people who did this before the JEM jr. was available, not to mention the Fake chinese JEMs.

Quote:
I know it has gotten a little off the rails but my intention was to get everyone's input on which one would they get: JEM Jr. or JEM70P SFG?
Nobody can tell another person which specific guitar to buy. There are too many subjective things involved. Most of my favorite guitars would probably not be recommended by other people. They work for me. They may not work for other people. My JEM77P you did not like but I love it. My own favorite Ibanez is a Prestige S body, S5521Q-TAB. It was not a huge seller so probably would not be recommended by people. I changed the pickups but everything else is stock. I play it more than my J. Custom. Nobody can tell another person which specific guitar to buy.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 08:31 PM

Personally I'd recommended buying a used guitar if you know what you are looking for and can identify any issues, earlier this year I picked up a RG8570 for a 1/4 of the new price it's in a total different class to a Jem JR and better than any Jem I have played.

I also have a 2008'ish model Jem 555 Jr that came with Evo's, I've kept mine for sentimental reasons, but I would not recommend it, mine's not to bad after doing some work on it and replacing the Edge III trem (you can get away with just filing the blade on the edge III every now and then to keep it in tune), but the tree of life on them is cheap looking compared to the 8570 or some proper Jem's. The new Jem Jr's only have cheap pups I believe, its just not a high end instrument, the RG1570's feel to be better quality.

I've played a couple of the affordable Jem's that have been available over the past few years and have been unimpressed. Nuff said!

If it was me id be looking at a RG2570 as they can be picked up used for the price of a Jem Jr, or the RG3570? came with a flame top and has a better overall build and finish. I love my RG8570 but they are hard to find used, well at least in Australia, or if your heart is set on a Jem the high end ones I played 8-10 years back were nice and much better than the new affordable models.

Last edited by Angelus502; 09-07-2018 at 08:59 PM.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 01:13 PM

I love my Jem Jr. I bought it used from Guitarcenterused.com. Sometimes you'll find some really great prices. The one I got was listed for like 300 w/ shipping and it said great condition, which it wasn't in my book. When I got it it had some dings and nicks (but could have happened in shipping as the package was pretty banged up (I lived in Alaska at the time and it's normal to see boxes banged up once they arrive up there). But the biggest issue with it was the trem. The previous owner took out then entire trem assembly. So, after some research and talking w/ the guys over at Floyd Rose I found that they do fit the Jem Jr's perfectly. If you don't want to put to much cash into a used Jem jr. the Floyds Specials are pretty good, i think they're better than the Edge 3's. They might just need a little wd-40 or liquid wrench on the tuners to loosen them up a bit (kinda stiff). And if you don't want to put a lot of money in on pups, I highly recommend Dragonfire Pickups. They're about 30 bucks for a set of humbuckers and they are pretty good. I have a guitar w/ a set of those and honestly my family and friends can't really hear a big difference between them and a set of Seymour Hotrodded pups. I added a photo of the jem jr. I mentioned. It has a real Floyd, set of Dimarzio's and all black hardware ( all these parts I had laying around in boxes so I was lucky with that. The only thing I purchased was the pickguard, 16.00 amazon. About 2-3 screw holes didn't like up exactly right, but they were far enough from the original holes I just predrilled those so it lined up nicely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 46439147_2136281616403228_3631343322045349888_n.jpg (42.7 KB, 61 views)
GearBoxTy likes this.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 05:38 AM

Gotoh Floyd + Jem Jr = Awesomeness
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 07:54 AM

I am looking into a DY Jem Jr and to my surprise, the DY is 50 € cheaper than the white one.
Is it a difference in the Pickups ?

Thanks in advance
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_LIS View Post
I am looking into a DY Jem Jr and to my surprise, the DY is 50 € cheaper than the white one.
Is it a difference in the Pickups ?

Thanks in advance
The pickups are different and do sound different, the Quantums sound better to me but YMMV, there are some who believe that the colour and paint composition affect the sound as well but I'm not one of them.

Try them both and buy the one you prefer the sound of.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 11:12 AM

Thanks.
The Jatoba fretboard of the Jr looks very bright.
Is there some kind of wood treatment to get it darker ?
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 12:37 PM

Forget it.

Already discussed here --> https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f15/h...rd-162289.html
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

A new wrinkle. There is a JEM555WH for sale at a local used shop for $399 (Serial Number C 424064).

Would anyone buy the Korean-made JEM555 over the Jem Jr? Over the JEM70V?

Tags
jem jr , jem77psfg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode