The Jem Jr is an RG450 in disguise - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 08:40 PM
Vendor

Re: The Jem Jr is an RG450 in disguise

Be careful who you dress up as!
ShinkanPo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 09:05 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: The Jem Jr is an RG450 in disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Be careful who you dress up as!
Is it really that bad Rich? Not as a cherished piece to accrue value of course, but damn, it looks cool, and for 3 1/2 bills? You still say no?
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 09:08 PM
Vendor

Just a joke, I left out the Trump mask part!

It's straight Indo, so you know what to expect. Mod it right and sort it out I'm sure it's a gas, but OP is right in that I've see beater VWH's sell for what a modded Jr would cost all in.
post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 05:48 AM

I agree,jem jr is a rg450 with jem features...but rg450 is another simple cheap ibanez and jem jr is another JEM.. Admit it she's got the look...
post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

an original edge tremolo costs very close the price of the Jem Jr LOL

Ibanez is smart. They know how many people love Vai and his Jem guitars. Most people cannot afford the white Jem, so they dressed up the RG450, increased the price a little, but not much, so noobs can afford it and they still make a profit. It worked, cause that Jr sells like candy. Just do a search on youtube "Ibanez Jem" and pretty much all results are about the Jem Jr.

Also, notice how Steve says in videos that he can't tell the difference between a Sea Foam Green Jem and the white Jem. Of course, he would say that, he is trying to sell them.

Also, notice how in the "making of Woody" video. They make you believe that you will get that "WOODY". You won't get what Steve gets. The one you buy for $1,700.00 is made in Indonesia, has a low gloss finish, plastic inlay, and that Edge Pro II Trem.

I would even dare to say that the Jem7vw is overpriced and you are mostly paying for the looks and name. There is no way that the few differences between the Prestige RG655 and Jem7vw, amount to a $1800 difference in price. It is simply not possible. Unfortunately, the RG655 is plain looking. To a casual observer with no experience about guitars, they'd probably think it was a $300 one.

Plain looking dots, regular boring colors (blue, black), no ornament, nothing to make it stand out at all. Most boring looking guitar ever. It looks like a Gio.

Last edited by Fowleri; 05-11-2017 at 08:24 AM.
post #21 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 08:28 AM

Did this honestly bother you so much that you joined this forum just to rant about it? Or did you get booted from one of the Facebook groups?
post #22 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Did this honestly bother you so much that you joined this forum just to rant about it? Or did you get booted from one of the Facebook groups?
I simply cannot afford a Jem, sir.
post #23 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowleri View Post
I simply cannot afford a Jem, sir.
I hear that Jem Jr's are a good deal.
post #24 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 04:17 PM

Yes it is.
If you aware that you take a indonesia ibanez with minor flaws,then yes jem jr Is a good deal for the money
post #25 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 04:37 PM

omg... it's a conspiracy.

Come to think of it, the 1987 Jem 777 DY and SK are really just 1987 RG 550s in disguise, with some superficial flair added.

And darn... now that you mention it, the Infiniti I drive every day is just a Nissan in disguise, with some superficial flair added.

That's it.... Ibanez and Nissan/Infiniti are on the list.... those dirty scammers.

end sarcasm here.
post #26 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

My Nissan is just an RG450 with wheels? Wait wut?
ShinkanPo likes this.
post #27 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 07:48 PM
Vendor

I drive a JEM

Obviously this is no new revelation, it's been a topic on this board since 1996.
post #28 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 09:59 PM

While all of this was going down I made a deal for the pink and yellow RG2x 25th Anniversary guitars for $400 total...I do love the look of the Jem, but would rather have the pink and yellow...So, unfortunately, no Jr for me...right now anyway.
post #29 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 11:41 PM

Can I just say, the original post really comes off as pretty elitist. Regardless if the facts are correct, it comes across as being completely dismissive of newer players, or less advantaged players. A huge part of the appeal of Jems is entirely their aesthetics. You can save yourself a hundred dollars and just get an RG450... OK, but an RG450 doesn't look like a Jem. If you are a professional musician (or even an advanced amateur), then you probably aren't looking at low end guitars in the first place. What about the kid just starting to get comfortable with playing? $100 may very well be an acceptable premium to pay so they can get the look that they want. Sure, there are a ton of negatives about a Jem Jr. There are lots of better guitars at a similar price, but if they don't have the look someone is wanting, then why would they buy that other guitar?

Remember, someone in the market for a Jem Jr level guitar, is unlikely to even KNOW the difference in sound, nor are they likely to care. They are happy to have a guitar that looks cool to them, and is basically as good as the 450 that was being recommended. There are people who come to this forum BECAUSE they love these kinds of guitars, and want to learn more. I don't see the point of being so dismissive of both the guitar, AND anyone who wants to buy one. I hate Strats. I don't like the way they feel or sound. That doesn't mean they aren't the dream guitar of someone else. Not everyone who loves a Strat can afford a high dollar one, which is why they have Squires. They aren't anywhere near the level of most full Strats, but it gives people a taste of what they have lusted after. If you have something that approximates your dream guitar, you are more likely to enjoy playing. That gets you to a point where the lower quality isn't enough for you, and eventually you find a way to upgrade to what you really wanted. No players should feel ashamed just because they can't afford a $1000+ guitar.

Maybe the original post wasn't intended to be elitist. It is easy to write posts here directed towards all the people that are high end players and collectors. For those kind of people, sure, the Jr probably seems like a waste of money. For a lot of people though, they work with what they can afford, or what their skill level allows. I'm over 40, married with a son. I work a full time job in the software industry where i have been at the same company for 20+ years. I am not some fantastic player. I play what I can, to relax and give myself enjoyment. The only relatively high end guitar I own is my RG550XX. It wasn't easy for me to spare that amount of money on a guitar. I know I am not the only stable adult who has little disposable income. I would be willing to by a Jem Jr, and have no regrets, even though I KNOW the drawbacks of that guitar. It is close enough to something that I love the look of. It just bothers me that someone might read a post like the original here, and feel like this isn't the place for them. I tend to be pretty quiet around here, but the knowledge here is fantastic. If I hadn't already been around for a while, and I read a post like this, I might not bother to come back, which would be a loss for me.

Anyway, just my opinion, and maybe I am the only one who got the feeling that the original post was pretty condescending to anyone of lower skill or means.
ShinkanPo and pteropid like this.
post #30 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 01:02 AM

A good player is good regardless of the instrument. Just look here:

Also, the comfort and feel of how a guitar plays is personal to each individual guitarist, and we're all different in what we need as players to succeed. No one can really set rules as to what works...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode