The Jem Jr is an RG450 in disguise - Page 3 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 12:11 AM
Vendor

Re: The Jem Jr is an RG450 in disguise

I love that, been a long time since somebody posted it. Of course Joe's famous last words "was a little painful on that guitar"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 07:55 AM

Someone should have told Joe about the Jem Jr. I just read somewhere how much they kick ass.
post #33 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 02:23 PM

"so noobs can afford it"

Someone is salty.

I've had my 7VWH since 1997, it's been my main player ever since. About 3 months ago I walked into a GC, pulled a JEM Jr. off the hanger and was blown away by how it felt/played right off the shelf. I didn't plug it in, nor did I touch the whammy, but I'd have ZERO problems buying one or two Jr's as spares/different tunings and just switching the bridge/pick-ups out. You can get a Gotoh Floyd for $115 and pick-up sets for cheap as hell if you look around enough. No routing required with the Gotoh.

"To a casual observer with no experience to guitars".....they don't give a **** what they cost, what they sound like or who has played them. At all.

Quote:
The simple fact that you are buying a Jem Jr proves that you don't have much funds, so why waste $100 more on looks and the Jem name, when the RG450 will perform exactly the same?
Man, that's a fairly dick-ish comment and absurdly presumptuous. Sounds to me like you're trying to reason with yourself why YOU should/shouldn't buy one, which has NOTHING to do with why anyone else has bought/will buy one or their financial status. I'm guessing you're the kid who got pissed at mom and dad when they came home with Fruity Flakes instead of Fruity Pebbles.
post #34 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 03:00 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolatileGentleman View Post
Man, that's a fairly dick-ish comment and absurdly presumptuous.

snip

I'm guessing you're the kid who got pissed at mom and dad when they came home with Fruity Flakes instead of Fruity Pebbles.
To be fair, isn't your comment also absurdly presumptuous?

At some point if you're a true-believer you must fully embrace your non-objective fanboy love and not lash out as such to those who post without such monkey-grip zealotry.

I was "blown away" (to use your term) at the $99 Mikro several years ago when i bought one but i'm certainly not swapping out my AR2000 for it if you get what i'm saying.
ShinkanPo likes this.
post #35 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 06:47 PM

First of all, the Jr. is aimed at the buyer who wants the look of the JEM but may not be able to afford a Premium or Prestige model. Or maybe they just aren't into guitars as much as we are.

Plus, I'd rather have a $500 Jr. than a knock off that I've seen sell for close to that.

Second, I can think of half a dozen guitars priced around $3000 that I personally think smoke the JEM. However, I like the JEM so that is what I buy. I've owned hundreds of guitars and keep coming back to Ibanez. If you don't like it, don't buy it. It's all about choice.

It really is quite a testament that this guitar has been around for 30 years in one form or another. Despite the haters and naysayers, there are few guitar lines that have been made for this long.
post #36 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 02:24 AM

Is the OP a crackhead or just plain manic depressive?

Jems in general are RGs in disguise, dumb a**. What's the difference between a 77FP and a 550 for example, other than pointless cosmetics(vine inlay, floral pattern, monkey grip, vine inlay) and pickups, and maybe a meaningless 1 mm thickness in neck?
post #37 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowleri View Post
that Edge Pro II Trem.
Jesus christ learn your Ibanez trems. It's an Edge Zero II trem, not the edge pro II. The EPII was discontinued almost a decade ago. Jeez.
Fowleri likes this.
post #38 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johann View Post

Jems in general are RGs in disguise, dumb a**. What's the difference between a 77FP and a 550 for example, other than pointless cosmetics(vine inlay, floral pattern, monkey grip, vine inlay) and pickups, and maybe a meaningless 1 mm thickness in neck?
WRONG.

The JEM was designed first, and even Steve Vai has said that the shift in looks of the Roadstar line to look like a working man's JEM was by design by Hoshino. Everything about an RG is a JEM with a different neck profile, no trem claw, dot or Sharktooth inlays instead of ToL, and no monkey grip. If you want a real working man's JEM, buy a 655, or go on the used market and get a golden era.
post #39 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 08:16 AM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:

Watch your post/decorum please.

Bad analogy as the RG550 & FP in this case are both MIJ, same bridge, tuners, etc.
post #40 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
WRONG.

The JEM was designed first, and even Steve Vai has said that the shift in looks of the Roadstar line to look like a working man's JEM was by design by Hoshino. Everything about an RG is a JEM with a different neck profile, no trem claw, dot or Sharktooth inlays instead of ToL, and no monkey grip. If you want a real working man's JEM, buy a 655, or go on the used market and get a golden era.
You misunderstand me Mr. Know It All. My point is that the Jem is basically a dressed up RG. I didn't say RG came first although I know this already (some Wikipedia page stating RG550 is the more rudimentary version of Jem).

The RG655 is of different material from the Jem, Rosewood vs. Ebony, Basswood vs. Alder. Learn your Ibanez body material. Jeez.

Last edited by Johann; 05-22-2017 at 09:12 AM.
post #41 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
Watch your post/decorum please.

Bad analogy as the RG550 & FP in this case are both MIJ, same bridge, tuners, etc.
What? It actually corroborates my point, don't you think? Same bridge, tuners, MIJ.
post #42 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 08:38 AM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
What? It actually corroborates my point, don't you think? Same bridge, tuners, MIJ.
Yes apologies you are correct JemJR v RG450 i didn't look up to thread title
post #43 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 02:36 PM

I would've paid 100$ extra for just the tree of life inlay. It's a good guitar for the price regardless. Think about it; 100$ for the extra work that goes into making a tree of life inlaid fingerboard & a mahogany body with a monkey grip & lions claw - that's extra time in the CNC machine.
LMDAVE and pteropid like this.

Last edited by linus; 11-15-2017 at 02:58 AM.
post #44 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 12:30 PM

Interesting to read some of the opinions here.

I've been playing for 30yrs. I've played many many guitars over the years, and I have very particular taste when it comes to sound and feel. I have (of course this is just my word) a great ear and like any thriving guitarist always strived to get that sweet tone I was looking for. My previous guitar was an original PRS Custom 24.
I sold it and didn't play for 5 yrs because I couldn't afford another guitar...and you know...life stuff.

I recently bought a brand new JEM Jr. I've had it about a month.
Is it anywhere as good as a PRS? OR a real JEM? No.

Is it bad? Not at all. Not even one bit. I really have ZERO complaints with this guitar.

I am very picky about tone and quality and discerning (in fact quite PICKY/anal/perfectionist) enough to notice flaws or downfalls...I thought I might be disappointed but watched some reviews and went for it. I have to say I was impressed at how well made this guitar is! No fret sprout, no issues with tuning, playing, no buzzing frets, no dead spots. The only thing I did have to do was tighten the Trem bar socket and the jack socket (no big deal, took about 2 minutes).
I will probably swap out pickups later on, as I do notice some lack of definition and separation with the Quantums. But man! For the price this guitar is amazing. The quality of the build really is nothing to complain about and I doubt you'd find much better in this style at this price.

This is for anyone thinking about it: if you can't afford a real JEM, go for it! There is absolutely nothing to complain about with this guitar. It sounds great! It plays great!
post #45 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 07:27 AM

That's exactly like saying "People who buy a Porsche Boxster are just advertising the fact that they can't afford a 911". While there might be some truth in that, there's no denying the Boxster is a brilliant car. Much like there's no denying the Jem Jr is a brilliant guitar in it's own right. All of the fun of the original at a lower price point.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode