JEM Jr Upgrade - Page 3 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 03:16 PM

Re: JEM Jr Upgrade

I can post pics of requested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 03:17 PM

For anyone looking for a pick guard that fits, I got a pearloid pick guard from this vendor on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Pearl...:rk:3:razz:f:0

The pick guard is stupid cheap but looks great and it fit my Jem Jr with no alterations whatsoever.
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 12:52 AM
Contributor

My mother-in-law knew about my obsession with Jems and bought me one of these before she passed away from lung cancer. She loved the tree of life inlays and thought it would be a gift that would have special significance to me. She was right, it was an incredibly thoughtful thing to do. Obviously this particular guitar will never leave my family, but there are some issues which really bug me about it. The finishing on the frets is hideous and it also needs to be leveled and crowned which is something that shouldn't need to happen with a guitar straight out of the factory, so it's off to my luthier for that.

The main issue I have is with the tremelo, it just annoys me, it's dull and responds poorly. I've decided I'm going to install an original edge on it, has anyone successfully done this? Obviously it's a job for my luthier and I'm happy to pay what I expect to be a significant sum of money to do so, but given the circumstances with which I came to possess the guitar, money is not an issue in this case. I feel that I should do what I can to make it a guitar I love to play and the frets and tremelo stop me from enjoying the guitar, so they are the first priorities.

One thing I've noticed is how heavy this is compared to my 88 FP and my 89 VBK. Apparently it's made from mahogany? maybe this partly explains why it sounds so much brighter than my other Jems. The pickups seem to be OK, I haven't decided if I'm going to change them to offset/complement the mahogany body. Anyone else noticed this? I was lucky enough to get the rosewood neck, sorry but the orange tint in the Jatoba versions is not something I think I could live with. Hopefully with the CITES regs being relaxed later this year Ibanez will be able to go back to rosewood.
Hoseki likes this.
post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteropid View Post
My mother-in-law knew about my obsession with Jems and bought me one of these before she passed away from lung cancer. She loved the tree of life inlays and thought it would be a gift that would have special significance to me. She was right, it was an incredibly thoughtful thing to do. Obviously this particular guitar will never leave my family, but there are some issues which really bug me about it. The finishing on the frets is hideous and it also needs to be leveled and crowned which is something that shouldn't need to happen with a guitar straight out of the factory, so it's off to my luthier for that.

The main issue I have is with the tremelo, it just annoys me, it's dull and responds poorly. I've decided I'm going to install an original edge on it, has anyone successfully done this? Obviously it's a job for my luthier and I'm happy to pay what I expect to be a significant sum of money to do so, but given the circumstances with which I came to possess the guitar, money is not an issue in this case. I feel that I should do what I can to make it a guitar I love to play and the frets and tremelo stop me from enjoying the guitar, so they are the first priorities.

One thing I've noticed is how heavy this is compared to my 88 FP and my 89 VBK. Apparently it's made from mahogany? maybe this partly explains why it sounds so much brighter than my other Jems. The pickups seem to be OK, I haven't decided if I'm going to change them to offset/complement the mahogany body. Anyone else noticed this? I was lucky enough to get the rosewood neck, sorry but the orange tint in the Jatoba versions is not something I think I could live with. Hopefully with the CITES regs being relaxed later this year Ibanez will be able to go back to rosewood.
Great story about your new guitar and I hope you'll start a thread on it dedicated to your mom and showing the upgrades you did to it.

Small world sometimes; my JEM-FP is an '88 and I actually saw it in the store when it was new, then bought it a few years later out of a newspaper ad.
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 02:39 AM

nice plan and nice maps...
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteropid View Post

You have the white Jem Jr yeah??? I've got that one too. The frets on mine are terrible a well. The trem on its sucks too. I've also got the pink & yellow Jrs and the fret work is great on both of them. No fret sprouting at all. The trems seem to be better too but I'm still going to chance them. An Edge will fit in one. There are plenty of threads here discussing it, but I'm going with a Floyd Rose Original on mine. I put a Floyd on my white one (before I pulled it a part, still haven't put it back together yet) and it worked great. SOOOO much better, but I also like Floyds a bit better than Edges and LoPro Edges too.
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
...I also like Floyds a bit better than Edges and LoPro Edges too.
I've only got one Floyd equipped Kramer Pacer and all the rest of my trems are Edge/LoPro, which has always been my favorite. So, reading your post made me curious as to what you like better about the Floyd? Tonality, feel, or??
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
I've only got one Floyd equipped Kramer Pacer and all the rest of my trems are Edge/LoPro, which has always been my favorite. So, reading your post made me curious as to what you like better about the Floyd? Tonality, feel, or??
Floyds feel a lot solider to me. I've snapped a few Edge/LoPro bars in the past too so I dont feel as confident with them as I once did. Never going to snap a Floyd bar.... LoPro whammy bars are not cheap either these days...

I like the edge/LoPro's but I just like Floyds better. A Floyd with the upgrade Big Brass Block sounds killer too. Tone for days
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 01:14 PM

I actually just ordered that Pearloid Pick Guard for $10. So you didn't need to redrill any holes? If not that is awesome!

I got my Jem Jr from Sweetwater, and did the Plek option and setup. My Jem Jr hardware is chrome, and the neck wood is that newer lighter color wood. Guitar actually sounds really good through my AxeFX. I got the Jem Jr specifically as a project guitar to have fun with.

Other upgrades ordered on the way.....
I got an Original Floyd Rose in Chrome($190), 32mm Brass FU-Tone Block ($30), chrome Dimarzio EVO Pickups ($132, $69, $132), chrome Ibanez Head stock logo ($7). I will post picks when i get it hopefully all installed correctly.

I have an old RG350? with same HSH configuration, so it will get the Jr's Trem, Qauntum pickups, and possibly the pick guard if the shape works and there's little redrilling.
Dutchie likes this.
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 02:06 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
You have the white Jem Jr yeah??? I've got that one too. The frets on mine are terrible a well. The trem on its sucks too. I've also got the pink & yellow Jrs and the fret work is great on both of them. No fret sprouting at all. The trems seem to be better too but I'm still going to chance them. An Edge will fit in one. There are plenty of threads here discussing it, but I'm going with a Floyd Rose Original on mine. I put a Floyd on my white one (before I pulled it a part, still haven't put it back together yet) and it worked great. SOOOO much better, but I also like Floyds a bit better than Edges and LoPro Edges too.

Yep white one. I got a couple of cosmo black edge's from Rich the other day. I'll basically be modifying it to be the same as a 7VWH but with cosmo hardware (not a fan of gold). I'll create a new post when I get it to the luthier to install the edge, sort out the frets and scallop the last four. Cheers.
Dutchie likes this.
post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:15 PM

I did exactly the same thing all holes lined up with my Jem Jr with the exception of one screw on the truss rod cover.

Tags
dimarzio evolution , gotoh , ibanez , jem jr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode