jem neck - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

jem neck

I'm mainly a js player but I always wanted to have/try a jem7v so I went to a music store today and tried one. HOLY COW, the thing sounds really nice but I seemed to have trouble getting used the its neck. Am I alone who experienced this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 08:39 PM

Re: jem neck

Trouble in what sense? Did the neck seem large or small compared to what you are used to? Is it possible the Jem was set up badly in terms of string action or neck straightness?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

setup was not perfect but it was still 'playable'. I don't know, JS necks seems 'rounder'. But I still love the feel...I guess I just need to get used to it.

Someday I will purchase one
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 08:49 PM

JS neck is definitely more stratlike and round due to Joe's preference and the fact that the radius is totally different. I actually like going back and forth between my strats, LP, and my Jem/RG guitars. Each different neck somewhat encourages me to play around and experiment differently.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 08:54 PM

It just takes time to get used to it. Luckily for me, it only took about 30 minutes to get used to the RG neck on my 3120 after just owning a Strat.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 10:41 PM

I think every guitar needs to get the break in feel before you're comfortable with it.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 05:47 AM

No, I was comfortable with the JEM neck immediately, the only drawback for me was going back to playing my RG's which feel like they are made from unworked branches now
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisshredding
the only drawback for me was going back to playing my RG's which feel like they are made from unworked branches now

Which jem was it,coz the dbk is different and i didnt feel quite as comfortable trying one,where-as my vwh felt like instant perfection!!!!
Both will feel a lot different to a js though.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 08:57 PM

really doesn't have much to do with breaking in the neck imo. as stated above, those 2 necks are very different, in neck contour and radius. and while you can adjust to just about any neck (that is set up well), it's more of a question of what feels the best for your hand and your style.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

well I was in a music store and its really not my type to 'show-off' while testing a guitar in a music store so I was kinda restraining myself( but I did 'sweep' a lil' bit..haha I had to). I was experiencing more with different pickup position and playing some jazzy clean chords improvisation.

Tags
jem neck , music store

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode