JEM neck and JPM neck - Comparason - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

JEM neck and JPM neck - Comparason

I'm just gonna say somthin that kinda bugged me...the Jem neck is a really awesome neck as far as feel and play ability go in my opinion...yet people say the JPM neck is also a thin, shredable neck. I disagree. The neck in the JPM is probably one of the biggest necks I've ever played on a gutiar. My Gibson Les Paul Delux's neck feels more comfortable the the JPM. The JPM neck feels like a tree trunk. This is just my opinion but I just wanted to see what others thought.
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 09:46 PM

JEM neck and JPM neck

If you don't like the JPM neck (which I love, btw), then you'd really hate the neck on my UV777BK :biggrin:

...then again, I never met a Les Paul I could stand to play for more than 3 minutes :yawn:
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 12:25 AM
Vendor

JEM neck and JPM neck

What Jem are you playing, a DBK?!?!? JPM vs. 7VWH - A JPM is .5mm thicker in the upper registers, and 1 mm narrower at the nut, with a more U shaped profile. *It's no baseball bat any more than a 7v is! Of course if you're playing a DBK it's ALOT thicker, but so are all the other Jems except the 90 and DNA (and the VDY)!
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 01:30 AM

JEM neck and JPM neck

I agree. *The JPM does feel a little wee bit fatter than the 7V to me, but it has much larger frets which more than makes up for it. *IMHO the width of the necks in conjunction with the flatness definately makes them shredder necks. *Now compared to the wizard they do feel thick, but I no longer own a guitar with a wizard so to me they feel awesome.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 03:17 AM

JEM neck and JPM neck

The JPM is like a baseball bat?! Sacrilege.

The JPM is my favorite neck shape. Every since I bought my P4 from Rich, I have been hooked on JPMs. The fact that the neck is slightly narrower than a Jem neck makes it far more comfortable to play on for me. *It certainly didn't slow Petrucci down!

To each his or her own...

Rick
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 09:13 AM

JEM neck and JPM neck

Of course itīs just a matter of taste...

To me the JPM neck feels a bit more comfortable. Thatīs because itīs round and it doesnīt have any flat areas.

OoDee
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 12:29 PM

JEM neck and JPM neck

Isn't a JPM neck considered to be a "viper" neck, and I think those came on the RT6XX's. *If so I played one(dcord's) and I liked it. Different from a Jem, but still nice. *Big difference from [email protected] or les [email protected], but in the end it's all "Ice Cream". *I still would like to get a JPM right after I get a BSB. :love:
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 01:00 PM

Reviews: 3
JEM neck and JPM neck

You don't play enought Teles.

That being said... never play any of my guitars... as far as the ones that I actually play and keep go... my 7VWH is the thinnest neck of the bunch. *A JPM neck is a wider neck... but it's all about what you're used to... I personally think it could be a bit thicker.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 01:54 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
JEM neck and JPM neck

The JPM neck probably had it's origins in the "Ultra" neck. It's just 0.5mm thicker at the nut. The newer Viper has a smaller/rounder radius.

http://www.jemsite.com/axes/htm_features/det_nk.htm
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 03:05 PM

JEM neck and JPM neck

i have never played a JPM model, but thanks to all this feedback on the JPM necks... NOW i have to.. I will have to share the blame for G.A.S. with you guys!!!

I will probably have to buy one after i play it..aahhhhh!

Ever since i bought my UV777BK, i have completely loved the neck and thought how nice it would be to have a 6 string guitar with a similar neck. Now i am encouraged to check out the JPM and see how close it is.

Yup!! just what I need, ANOTHER guitar lying around!

scott
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 04:07 PM
Vendor

JEM neck and JPM neck

Corrections

The JPM neck is 1mm NARROWer than the VWH, and the thickness at the nut is the same. It's .5mm thicker up the neck (wherever it is they measure it before it turns into the heel)

It's roots are the Ultra neck.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 05:51 PM

JEM neck and JPM neck

I can't really comment on the JEm vs JPM discussion but I'd like to make a neck comment anyway.

The different neck dimensions are clearly documented on this site. It is however hard to figure out what JEMs have the different necks as they don't all have the JEM neck. Some have the wizard neck and some the super wiz neck.

Maybe it would be an idea to add this in the specification table of the different models?

Børge

Tags
gibson les paul , jem neck , jpm neck , les paul , neck dimensions , neck shape

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode