Jem Neck on Regular RG Body accident? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Jem Neck on Regular RG Body accident?

Has this ever been known to happen, as the techie in my local music shop claims to have bought one from the shop he works in, which is just a regular RG, but with a JEM Neck. It is worth stating right now that the guitar was bought new, and he claims he is unaware of how the neck came to be there.

He thought perhaps the factory had made a jem with a bad body and had but the neck on a regular RG body or something.

Any thoughts, lol, cos this thing is driving me crazy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 08:36 PM

Reviews: 3
He sure it's not a J-Custom or something? Is he the first owner of this?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 09:26 PM

I think it very unlikely that Ibanez sold an RG with a Jem neck. Someone (it may have been a shop so the guitar may be 'new') changed the neck. Ibanez does have QC issues sometimes, but come on...

Like Jay said, it may be a J-custom. Some of them have vine inlays.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 06:50 AM

Hey Geordie Boy,

send us a pic and we'll sort it out for you!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 09:22 AM

Re: Jem Neck on Regular RG Body accident?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Societysucks
Has this ever been known to happen, as the techie in my local music shop claims to have bought one from the shop he works in, which is just a regular RG, but with a JEM Neck. It is worth stating right now that the guitar was bought new, and he claims he is unaware of how the neck came to be there.

He thought perhaps the factory had made a jem with a bad body and had but the neck on a regular RG body or something.

Any thoughts, lol, cos this thing is driving me crazy!
Am I the only one that find this halarious??? HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

QC<-- lmao
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 10:53 AM

Is the Vine Inlay like this?:

Or like this?

If it's the first then it is indeed a Jem neck and we have a confusing problem!

If it's the second then it's probably a Prestigage RG or a J-Custom RG (either of which will say on the headstock-as it will say Jem, which would sort this out quicker actually..)

It might be a Prestige RG3120 or RG2820 if it's a Prestige.

Good luck!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

I don't think It's any special model, He just said it came into the shop like that from the supplier. This shop isn't exactly known for it's exotic models though, they usualy just trade in 1570/1550s, a Few S's and the Odd Jem.

I wouldn't mind Getting the neck of that thing and seing what it's stamped with, but that's going to be impossible considering the guy who owns it.

I'll see if i can pick up a few serial numbers of it, and HOPEFULLY a photo.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
A few years ago (probably about 10 or 12 now) It was common practice to kit out an RG with a JEM neck, it was on the upgrade list along with a Dimarzio cliplock strap and new pickups.

A few shops would do this routinely, so it's quite possible.

I've not seen it happen from a retail store in a LONG time though now.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 09:22 PM

Reviews: 5
We used to get a lot of requests from people wanting to know where they could get JEM necks for their RGs. I seem to remember the dissapearing pyramids and the VWH vine being the most popular. The answer was and still is that the only way a JEM neck is sold to an average joe is by purchasing one attached to a JEM body. The only way a replacement JEM neck could be purchased was to first send the broken one back to Ibanez. For this reason, JEM necks are pretty scarce.

With that said, some shops used to harvest old junkers from ebay and sell off the parts. So, it's very possible that a shop put together a neck and a body.

It's very unlikely though that Ibanez would ever do this on a product in America.

In Japan the consumer can get the vine of life inlay on a J-Custom, but even then the JEM neck profile is strictly reserved for the JEM product line.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7vwh
The answer was and still is that the only way a JEM neck is sold to an average joe is by purchasing one attached to a JEM body. The only way a replacement JEM neck could be purchased was to first send the broken one back to Ibanez. For this reason, JEM necks are pretty scarce.
Societysucks is another of us UKers, back in the late 80's and early 90's FCN, the UK distributer of Ibanez, was quite happy to sell JEM necks seperately!!!

As such, it's not such a rare sight over here.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 06:18 PM

Reviews: 5
that makes a bit more sense.

Tags
cliplock strap , dimarzio cliplock , dimarzio cliplock strap , jem neck , jem neck profile , local music shop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode