To Jem or not to Jem? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Question To Jem or not to Jem?

That is the question.

We'll here it goes. I've been playing for 3 years, four in march , with my lovely Epiphone LP that ive fully tricked out. Its a great machine and I love it dearly but a JEM has always been the one guitar I would love to have. Im wanting one now more than ever because im getting to a stage when i want the added versitility of a locking tremolo. Edges seem to be the best in the world and starting to get into the shred side of guitar. Im usless now but it just takes practive. Plus, that monkey grip.. its soo cool!!!
Anyway since im a student i cant really afford the massive £1500 mark for them. I was considering getting one made with a swirl off cottamguitars but im not to sure. Firstly its all on the internet, i'll never get to play the guitar before forking out the cash, and how do i know it will be built to a high standard?

(thats the swirl I want, or as close as possible to it.. shame that bodies a 7 string and no monkey grip )

I guess what im asking is should I save up for an Ibanez Jem thats brand new out the shops or get one custom made? Has anyone had a guitar made from cottam and was it as good as you thought it would be and was it cheap? considering the end results. Another thing is if i was to get one from CottamGuitars where in the hell do i get a good neck? The infamous auction site seems to have them but thats a risky place. Its no dout full of fakes.
Sorry if this kinda thing has been posted before but im really unsure if i should get it.

Many Thanks!!!

Arran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 01:15 PM

Re: To Jem or not to Jem?

Well, a lot of the time, you'd end up paying near the same to have one custom built, but you can sometimes get it out a lot cheaper. It really just depends on what you would like. Personally, I'd say you try to get an older (pre-2003) one used.

The new ones made from 2003 onwards have Edge Pro's, which some people, like myself, do not like as much as the older LoPro's and Edge's.

You can always go to the Classifieds section here. There are always people willing to sell to you.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 02:11 PM

One word of advice: Swirls will ALWAYS be pricy. Whether Ibanez or custom made you'll most likely be forking over more than a brand new 7VWH or BRMR.

If you are really tight on cash, Jem DBK's normally go for around $850. However the DBK doesn't have the vine or a swirl. Textured black and screw-head dot inlay.

I guess the best question at this point would be how much is too much? aka how much are you willing to spend? (In numbers please )
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

well the maximum would be £1000. thats for everything, pickups and what not.. XE says thats just under $2000 for the Americans here

im looking to spend alot less though, perhaps around the £800 mark or is that just wishful thinking?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apmaman View Post
well the maximum would be £1000. thats for everything, pickups and what not.. XE says thats just under $2000 for the Americans here

im looking to spend alot less though, perhaps around the £800 mark or is that just wishful thinking?
That's a nice chunk of money, but I'm thinking it won't be enough for an all out custom guitar especially in the UK.

And all of the Ibanez swirls PMC, UV77MC, DNA, etc all sell for quite a bit over $2000 - and that's in the US. Shipping wise or cost wise things in the UK will most likely be a little more pricey than that.

But for that much money you probably could get a used 7VWH or VSBL. So you definitely can afford a Jem, but probably not a swirl jem.

Hope you can get what you like!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 11:30 PM

Quote:

No, not at all wishful thinking. It's wishful for a swirl, they're always more expensive, but that's quite reasonable for a Jem. That's about $1600 USD you are looking to reasonably spend, maybe $1500 with shipping and all that. Figure out how to get around the customs and import duties (Buy within the EU if necessary) and you can get a great one, it just takes a little bit of patience. I think you would be fine with Cottam if you chose that route, he has been a site sponsor here for a while and I haven't heard anything negative about him, plus he is pretty close to you. Why don't you just give him a call and talk to him, tell him what you're looking for, what you have, how you like your set-up, see what happens. Otherwise it's the waiting game at the bay. Good luck man.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 04:06 AM

Have you sat in a store and played a Jem for a while? Have you tried a Prestige RG2550E? The 2550 is sweet, has the same trem and is much cheaper than a Jem. If you play both and the Jem gives you goose bumps or otherwise pulls your trigger more than the RG2550 or other Prestige RG does then get the Jem, otherwise get the cheaper one.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Ive played a 555 but they are ment to be nothing like the "proper" Jems. The local shops dont really stock ibanez's, this is why im asking for help on here. The only ibanez's that get stocked around here are the really cheap rg's and 555's. I could get the shops to order one in but that means i would have to put a deposit down since its not part of the shops stock of you know what I mean.(i will end up doing that if i decide to get an Rg) I will have a good look around to see if a Prestige or a used VSBL/7VWH pops up somewhere close by to have a play on.

Looking at the prices of the Prestige Rg's now and there much cheaper. Something like just under 600 for the RG2550 or similar. I guess if i got one of them it would save me a hefty lump of cash.

Will keep you informed on what i decide to get, if any!

You have all been very helpful!

oh might ask this while im posting... What do you all think of the wee Epiphone Valve amps? they rock or what!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 03:50 PM

Quote:

Buy one second hand! Like my 7vWH which is currently for sale in the classifieds For bang on £1000

Tags
custom guitar , dot inlay , ibanez jem , jem dbk , locking tremolo , monkey grip , swirl jem , valve amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode