jem one piece neck question - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
jem one piece neck question

Is a Jem with a one piece neck, like a 7Vsbl , just as stable compared to the newer multi- piece necks? Also, will it be thicker? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 05:32 PM

Re: jem one piece neck question

One piece necks are fine and thin too.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 10:28 PM

It will be less stable, it doesn't have the reinforcements of the 5 piece neck, but wither way it will be fine if you take care of it. I'm pretty sure besides the exception of a few Jem models (the dbk I think is thinner or just a different shape) the neck thin-ness/shape has been the same forever.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 01:57 PM

Reviews: 3

They are better necks than the 5p. Solid sound, and they will last forever if you don' t smash them onstage.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 03:48 PM

I certainly don't abuse my 7VSBL; in fact, because of the various guitars I own (and build) and the relative infrequency at which I actually play them, my Jem has (sadly) sometimes sat for months at a time without even being touched. That being said, despite the floating bridge, it's the one guitar in my collection (possibly aside from my JS1200) that when I pick it up after neglecting it, it's more or less perfectly in tune still, despite the changes in weather that absolutely wreak havoc with other instruments, regardless of their neck construction. So yeah, I wouldn't worry about stability at all.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Great, because I have a mint 2002 7VSBL of my own on the way this week!!! It will join my 7Vwh and 77Vbk Jems with the newer 5 piece necks. Is the 7VSBL still a pretty thin neck?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 05:39 PM

Older Jem necks tend to have more variability, but in general a 7VBSL neck should be somewhat beefy compared with your newer 5-piece necks. My '99 FP neck is virtually identical to my '88 SK neck and I would expect a 7VBSL to be comparable to those.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 01:07 PM

Yes, a 5-piece neck has the potential to be more stable. That doesn't mean the ALL 5-piece are more stable than a 1-piece............ only that they should be in more extreme situations.

Since every piece of wood is different, there's no way to say which will be better than the next. A 5-piece with unstable, under-cured materials can be less stable than a 1-piece that is fully cured.

To say that one type sounds "better" is ridiculous.......... it all depends on the particular piece/s of wood that were used in your neck. THAT is just a roll of the dice.

......... Until someone starts doing "sonic testing" on raw materials even the manufacturers have no idea how a neck or body will sound.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Just got my 7Vsbl!!! It's in mint condition, which blew me away for a 12 year old guitar. My verdict on the neck is that is does not feel thicker at all to me than my other Jems. I was expecting to have to try and like a much thicker neck or something, but no, not at all. It is nice and thin. Reminds me a lot of my PGM100RE, as it doesn't have that "bump"or "ridge" of a typical 5 piece neck where it bulges there behind the nut. Very similar feel, actually. The PGM100RE is a bit thinner ,but not really much.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode