JEM over Suhr Modern experience - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

JEM over Suhr Modern experience

The year was 2006, summer, and I had a vast guitar collection that included top of the line USA made or Japanese guitars(ESP) from 9 different companies. I was a total collector. That was the summer I decided to get an Ibanez, and I bought a new 7VWH. I remember the first rehearsal that I tried it out,,,I was just in awe. The neck was the best thing I've ever played. I couldn't even believe how easy this guitar was to play. Within a couple of years, all of those other guitars were gone. Today, i gig and play 2 2005 7VWH's, 2 2007 77VBK's, a 2006 77BRMR, and a 2002 7VSBL. I tried and sold several Ibanez Prestige models and PGM's over the years since...but every time I pick up one of my Jems, it is home. To me, there is no other neck that even compares . After reading about Suhr's for so long, it is a guitar I have tried only once, but it wasn't a modern, and felt more like a Fender to me. Just this weekend, in San Francisco, I had the opportunity to hold a Suhr modern. I was wondering if I'd wanna sell all my Jems and become a Suhr nut. Well, NO. Just like the first Suhr, I tried, the modern would never work for me. I questioned the dealer, and he said that you couldn't go as thin as most Ibanez specs, and to order a custom guitar before trying the neck first is too scary, even though it sounds so cool to have a custom built instrument. In conclusion, my search for the perfect neck and guitar ended in 2006, one year after the search for my favorite amp ended when I bought my Soldano SLO . So, I'm done,,,done gassing for anything. A Jem, my SLO.....that's where it's at for me. Anyone else in this position of just being done with the acquisition? It's a weird, but very nice feeling. Just time to play.

Last edited by JemSLO; 08-02-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 02:46 AM

Reviews: 3
Re: JEM over Suhr Modern experience

Jem 7V and SLO100 here too, but this time simulated (fractal axe fx ultra).
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 09:37 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemSLO View Post
but every time I pick up one of my Jems, it is home. To me, there is no other neck that even compares.
Isn't this why they make literally thousands of guitar models with countless permutations... personal taste?

Quote:
After reading about Suhr's for so long, it is a guitar I have tried only once, but it wasn't a modern, and felt totally like a Fender to me. Just this weekend, in San Francisco, I had the opportunity to hold a Suhr modern. I was wondering if I'd wanna sell all my Jems and become a Suhr fanboy. Well, NO. Just like the first Suhr, I tried, the modern would never work for me. The neck is where it is at for me, and that modern neck is also very Fenderish. Just in no way what I would want to play. Personally, after trying two of them now, I don't get the hype.
So you own thousands of dollars worth of JEMs... have great familiarity & comfort in them.... then played two random Suhrs not to your spec or liking, in an unfamiliar setting & question their "hype" ??? That's a headscratcher to me but lets go more to facts...

Suhr has 3 modern necks with 4 radius or custom radius (many options) available
Suhr Configurator

Modern Elliptical .780 inch to .830 inch. 19.8mm to 21.1
Modern GG Elliptical .800" to .850". 20.3mm to 21.6
Modern Elliptical .820" to .870". 20.8mm to 22.1

7.5-9.5 inch Compound
9-12 inch Compound
10-14 inch Compound
16 inch Non-compound
Custom radius ($50)

and two nut widths
1.650 inch (1 and 5/8 inch)
1.687 inch (1 and 11/16 inch)

Ibanez OTOH offers customers a decorated RG (JEM) with a slightly larger neck (sometimes) at whatever exact neck dimension Fujigen, China or Indo factories use for the resulting "Ibanez JEM". Sure you can have a total preference for JEMs but to rip Surh is unnecessary.

The JEM is just Vai's signature guitar that Ibanez struck gold using Vai's endorsement to sell product for 30 years. The Suhr can be your own signature guitar of at least the same quality (it's far higher quality in fact).
Algiman likes this.
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, it was late, and I went and fixed those comments. I did not mean to bash Suhr.....in reality, a modern was the one guitar on my bucket list that I had never played, and I was always curious. In the end, I decided that the JEMs I have and those necks are still where it is at for me, personally. And I was relieved in a way, as I just wanna be done buying selling and searching. So sorry, no way did I want to bash suhr, that would be crazy. You see, where I live, there is no access to high quality guitars that I'm interested in. So, that's why I would buy and try so many guitars for so many years.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 12:16 PM
site founder 0% owner

post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 12:24 PM
Vendor

Quote:
So sorry, no way did I want to bash suhr, that would be crazy.
Why not? There's always some idiot bashing Ibanez here every day!
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Why not? There's always some idiot bashing Ibanez here every day!

Honestly, it's subjective. My main guitar is a Suhr Modern 7, and for *me*, it's the better guitar. It has a thicker, more fender-y neck, maple fretboard, swamp ash body, and a pretty top, and while the last was more cosmetics than anything else, what I was basically looking for when I bought mine was a H-H superstrat with a maple fretboard and a Floyd, and Suhr's Modern 7 carve happened to be my favorite profiles on the options at the market at that time.

However, that's not a knock against Jems - if you want a thinner neck and an alder or basswood body, then the things I liked about the Suhr that made me choose it over something comparable from Ibanez (which at the time didn't exist anyway) would be things that make you prefer the Jem. At the end of the day, they're both great instruments, so play the one that fits you best.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 12:40 PM
Vendor

Govan = JEM

Nevermind, he jumped ship already didn't he?

Modern = RG

I've got nothing against any other maker that at least put out a quality product. I do have issues with cosmetics and if the overall leaves me MEH, I just don't see the point of going any further.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

I just intended this post as a celebration that I have now officially owned or tried every guitar I've ever been curious about, and that it is still the JEM neck for me. And the Soldano SLO100! That's not to say I won't still gas for other JEMs in the future, though! So I'm not totally out of the woods.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Govan = JEM

Nevermind, he jumped ship already didn't he?

Modern = RG

I've got nothing against any other maker that at least put out a quality product. I do have issues with cosmetics and if the overall leaves me MEH, I just don't see the point of going any further.
Govan used to have RG550, then Floral Jem,
he sold them because '' don't want to have guitar with somebody else name written all over it''.
He sold Jem then bought PRS,
but he probbably liked Jem, so,
later Suhr makes him ''his'' Jem,
but people somehow connect that Suhr guitar with SG that was first guitar Govan's father gave him, '' because both guitar are mahogany''.

Suhr was Jem with mahogany body,
but latter Govan started to use basswood,

So Govan will probably, soon or latter, come to Ibanez. Nobody can make better Jem then Ibanez.

Last edited by peromucho7; 08-03-2017 at 07:21 AM.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 11:52 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by peromucho7 View Post
Govan used to have RG550, then Floral Jem,
he sold them because '' don't want to have guitar with somebody else name written all over it''.
He sold Jem then bought PRS,
but he probbably liked Jem, so,
later Suhr makes him ''his'' Jem,
but people somehow connect that Suhr guitar with SG that was first guitar Govan's father gave him, '' because both guitar are mahogany''.

Suhr was Jem with mahogany body,
but latter Govan started to use basswood,

So Govan will probably, soon or latter, come to Ibanez. Nobody can make better Jem then Ibanez.
I just meant he already jumped the Suhr bandwagon and went to the Charvel wagon. He's welcome on the Ibanez wagon anytime I'm sure.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

I do this from time to time. I take one of my JEMs out and A/B it there in the shop against whatever is en vogue as the ultimate shred machine. Normally what happens is that they sales guys do that thing they always do which is to reach for the guitar you're possibly trading in... then they kind of get puzzled by the action, the playability and the overall feel of the JEM. Then you can see them wondering how it is that they're going to beat their employer out of the trade in and get my guitar for themselves.

I wholeheartedly believe that a well set up JEM cannot be beaten in terms of playability. People may prefer the sound of other guitars, the feel of other guitars, but at the end of the day, I don't know a single guitar out there that is more user friendly than what Steve came up with 30 years ago. Afterall, if someone is going to design a guitar for playability (and still have it look like an actual guitar) it might as well be Steve Vai...

I also love the fact that Guthrie Govan plays a guitar that is basically a JEM, if might not be an Ibanez and it might not have a handle. I know there were superstrats before the JEM, but there might as well not have been afterwards.

(I also love the fact that Misha Mansoor essentially plays a Jackson RGA )
sniperfrommars1 likes this.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 01:51 PM

I've had 10+ Suhrs and didn't keep any of them. My main players are an Ibanez Jem BFP that is beat to ****, an original UV green dot and a Teuffel. You can't beat old school jems IMO. Not huge on the stock pickups in them but they sound amazing with a quick swap.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 06:22 PM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I do this from time to time. I take one of my JEMs out and A/B it there in the shop against whatever is en vogue as the ultimate shred machine. Normally what happens is that they sales guys do that thing they always do which is to reach for the guitar you're possibly trading in... then they kind of get puzzled by the action, the playability and the overall feel of the JEM. Then you can see them wondering how it is that they're going to beat their employer out of the trade in and get my guitar for themselves.

I wholeheartedly believe that a well set up JEM cannot be beaten in terms of playability. People may prefer the sound of other guitars, the feel of other guitars, but at the end of the day, I don't know a single guitar out there that is more user friendly than what Steve came up with 30 years ago. Afterall, if someone is going to design a guitar for playability (and still have it look like an actual guitar) it might as well be Steve Vai...

I also love the fact that Guthrie Govan plays a guitar that is basically a JEM, if might not be an Ibanez and it might not have a handle. I know there were superstrats before the JEM, but there might as well not have been afterwards.

Completly agree... I did the same with the sellers of the store where I get my LG 30th; they preferred my well set up 1998 7V>777LG>2016 JC>2017 7V in that order and all of those over any high end fender or Jackson or Van Halen stripped series they had in the store.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post

I also love the fact that Guthrie Govan plays a guitar that is basically a JEM, it might not be an Ibanez and it might not have a handle. I know there were superstrats before the JEM, but there might as well not have been afterwards.

I agree that a well setup JEM can not be beaten in terms of playability, but I do think other guitars can match a well setup JEM. Overall, I think playability is not an area Ibanez really needs to improve upon, which for me, is their distinguishing trait.

The Charvel Guthrie Govan model is similar to a JEM in the same way a JS is similar to a JEM, or an EBMM JP is similar to a JEM, or etc...When smart guitarists have the opportunity to create a signature model the result is usually a better instrument than the company could ever come up with on their own. Vai needed his guitar to be able to do certain things and the JEM did that. As it so happens, it met a lot of other guitarists fundamental needs too: a 24 fret guitar that is easy to play with a floating bridge that stays in tune. In that sense, I agree, Guthrie's guitar is basically a JEM, but so are other guitars.

As for Misha, he did own an RGA121 and I am sure the guitars he owned in the past influenced his Jackson signature model. There is a visual resemblance to an RGA but I think that is where the similarities end.

The way you A/B guitars is smart. It is easy to lose perspective without a guitar you are used to playing. I am curious which JEM's you have and what kind of offers stores have given you? Do they tell you your JEM will be "hard to sell?" Do you let it go that far?
Formerly Given To Fly is online  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode