Jem PBK - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Jem PBK

Hi Jem lovers
I'm new to the site, funny thing, back in 1990 I was playing lead guitar in a band and had some extra cash so I bought this Jem brand new at Guitar Center in SF, played it a couple years and started playing bass so I parked it in the closet. I would get it out every now and then and rock out on it but it's mostly just been sitting. Lately I've been wanting a new bass so I was thinking of trading it in with my bass guitars to get some money for another 5 string so I called Guitar Center and was talking to them. I explaind my guitar to the guy and he was like "Dude, that's a PBK" and told me about how they didn't make to many of those and how it's a some what rare guitar. So that's why I joined to ask how rare is this guitar and how much I should ask for it. It's in good condition, one little ding in the back but it's all original. I even have the recept from when I bought it in 1990.
Thanks Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 02:56 PM

Reviews: 21
Re: Jem PBK

Someone at Guitar Center knew what a Jem was?!?

Seriously, though. It's the black one with the white pickups and the ovoid handle, not the "grip"? Yeah, I don't think they made many of those.
I'd check auction sites and see if you can find one by chance in the "ending soonest" category. It might take some time, though. I don't see many pbks on the bay.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

LOL, ya the guy I talked to knew a little, after I explained the guitar he lit up and was all over it. Told me they only made that model for 3 years and he get's quite a few people enquiring about them.

It is the black with white pick ups
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 03:47 PM

These rarely come up for sale, so you might do pretty well selling it. You should easily be able to get more than you originally paid for it.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 07:22 PM

There haven't been many for sale that I've seen in the past few years if any to judge what they'd go for.

I've got one myself, but probably put more money into refinishing it than what its worth! Oh well....s h i t happens

POST SOME PICTURES!!!
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Will do, I'm going to put new strings and clean it up, whipe the dust off the case, plug it in to my old Fender amp and feel the controled feed back. Those guitars are a lot of fun.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 09:19 PM

Hi Barefootbob,
Indeed they are rare. It's my pick for the second rarest Jem behind the VSK. I just bought one from a fellow Jemsiter and paid $2200. It's in excellent condition, some fret ware, no dings or dents, all original with pink lined case. I'd think you can get about the same, maybe a little more or less depending on condition. I looked for about a year before finding one so they are very rare, especially because they make such amazing players and most you find are beaters. Good luck! Mike
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 10:30 PM

That sounds like a good number to me. I was going to say $1800-2500 depending on condition, proper case, etc and yours falls right into the middle of that range.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 11:17 PM

Wow. I didn't think they were going for that much. Can I post a teaser pic of mine? Well too bad because I am!

Last edited by Metlupass2; 08-30-2011 at 01:24 AM.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Last night I got the Jem out, cleaned her up, new strings and just took a couple pic's, here it is.

I have all the tools that came with it, warranty card, those little white things that go on the tremolo handle even the recept.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 08:22 PM

please dont spam the board just to get your post count up
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 08:22 PM

Gorgeous!
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 11:24 PM

Looks great. I'm sure you'd have no trouble selling it. I'd say that I'd certainly be interested.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 05:11 AM

Reviews: 3

Youīve got a Gem... oooooo, yep a JEM!
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Sorry elcid, just wanted to post my pic's and the site woulden't let me untill I had 10 post.

Ya I've always like'd my Jem, I have a Fender M-80 and that guitar screams. It's going to be hard to part with but I'm a better bass player and there is more demand for bass players around here, I have my eye on a Musicman Classic stingray right now, Ed Roman also makes some nice bass guitars. I posted it on CL yesterday for $1700 so will see if the right person notice's it.

Tags
jem pbk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode